Using Aluminum to Create a Non-Shardic Pocket

Trusk'our

I had an idea. If you were to line an air tight enclosure with aluminum, maybe you could create a pocket that was essentially cut off from the rest of the Cosmere. You wouldn’t need to worry about Shardic influence so much, or about hostile investitures seeping in. Perhaps you could even trap certain types of investiture in with you, maybe even enough to fuel a self-sufficient ecosystem, provided there is enough investiture to be recycled and that the pocket is large enough. Certain forms of invested powers, like Allomancy, might not work so well though, as they would need to draw on investiture that likely wouldn't be accessible inside the pocket.

I don't think you would need an airtight space in order to shield from shardic influence, or at least sight. The Sibling couldn't see inside of Lift's aluminum cage, and it seems that aluminum blocking the sight of invested entities is a theme. Shards might be able to overcome that though. I also feel like allomancy would still function in an aluminum lined place as the power comes from the spiritual realm, but I can't be sure.

8 minutes ago, Wandering Shade said:

Soulcasting is possible within an Aluminum lined room, as we see in OB

That's because the investiture source comes from stormlight. To be honest we don't know a lot about the effects of aluminum on the cognitive and spiritual realms.

39 minutes ago, Nameless said:

That's because the investiture source comes from stormlight. To be honest we don't know a lot about the effects of aluminum on the cognitive and spiritual realms.

Ya know what, that's fair. I didn't think about that, I was more just thinking that you can use an Invested Art while surrounded by Aluminum.

Yeah, it's a really interesting question whether you can draw directly from the Spiritual when surrounded by aluminum.

I would tend to think that should work since the Spiritual is location-independent, and I think emotional Allomancy (blocked by aluminum hats) is more Cognitive... but who knows.

Perhaps an Elantrian couldn't use AonDor, since that power source is Cognitive Realm, but an Allomancer could burn metals, since that is Spiritual Realm?

Shard's power are more or less everywhere. Every shard have part of power dispersed around Cosmere. Also, Spiritual Realm isnt somewhere "physicaly" from the Physical Realm, like in space or underground. So I think you can use Allomancy everywhere, because everywhere is connected to Spiritual Realm.

But Aluminum Cage probably can shield you from specific Shard's sight.