Yup the trilogy and the duology. I liked the former much better.

In case you haven't heard of it: It is a very YA book series. As is the Shadow Hunters chronicles and ooh boy it has been some time since I thought of Simon, Clary, Jace, Sebastian, I didn't really like the other series within the series so I don't really remember the other main characters - the Victorian love triangle and the forbidden Parabatai romance siblings. Oh. Yeah, incest warning - sort of. They're not really siblings. Eh, spoilers. These are aimed more towards a teen female audience, so if you're more for action or adventure, fair warning, you might not like these books all that much, Shadowhunters is specially more paranormal romance than fantasy. The Grishaverse trilogy and the Six of Crows duology aren't really action-y but they aren't really character focused either - the books were too short for that, but they're quite entertaining. Neither of the two are nearly as badly written as Twilight imo, which is just really, really dramatic and bland. Crooked Kingdom (book 2 of the duology) was kind of a disappointment after all that build-up, so I say stick to the trilogy. And the short stories!

Where Bardugo really shines is her short stories. So, please get her short story collection, they're great!

Edited by Honorless

• 9 months later...

I learned a cool thing the other day. So Ketterdam from the Six of Crows duology is loosely based off of Amsterdam, so many of the things to do with it have Dutch/Flemish/Belgian influences. And there's a guy (no spoilers) in Six of Crows whose name is Jan Van Eck. And apparently there is a famous Flemish painter from the Northern European Renaissance whose name is Jan Van Eyck!

So that's just a really long way of saying than Bardugo really did her research while writing these books and it shows! It's always fun to find out something like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3 DAYS TILL SHADOW AND BONE 3 DAYS TILL SHADOW AND BONE 3 DAYS TILL SHADOW AND BONE 3 DAYS TILL SHADOW AND BONE 3 DAYS TILL SHADOW AND BONE 3 DAYS TILL SHADOW AND BONE 

*hyperventilates

(i wont be able to watch it still 27th march, after finals but still) 

IM SO EXCITED TO SEE MY CROWS  

(Notice that its called "shadow and bone" but 90 percent are more excited to see the crows)

Edited by Cruciatus_heart

GUYS

NEW VIDEO  

https://youtu.be/tvIQxB4_-BM 

Its titled "everything we can tell you about shadow and bone season 2" 

and theres a clip where kaz inej and jesper are being held at gunpoint by the stadwatch and this happens 

Kaz: is there a problem?

Officer:...you're wanted for murder

Jesper: Oh, but we JUST got back in town

4 minutes ago, Cruciatus_heart said:

GUYS

NEW VIDEO  

https://youtu.be/tvIQxB4_-BM 

Its titled "everything we can tell you about shadow and bone season 2" 

and theres a clip where kaz inej and jesper are being held at gunpoint by the stadwatch and this happens 

Kaz: is there a problem?

Officer:...you're wanted for murder

Jesper: Oh, but we JUST got back in town

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED THIS! I WILL WATCH IT LATER AS SOON AS I HAVE A CHROMEBOOK THAT CAN ACCESS YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

6 hours ago, Cruciatus_heart said:

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

^THIS^

• 2 weeks later...

soooooo 

as a lot of people know 

i like spoilers a lot and actively seek them out 

and so i skipped ahead to episode 8 of shadow and bone season 2 and saw the ending scene

AND OH THATS REALLY SMART 

i hope it gets a season 3 or an SOC spinofff because they just set the stage for the Ice Court Heist and im really excited 

On 3/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, Morningtide said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! 

I reeeeaaaally it's a SoC spinoff because the Ice Court heist deserves all of the time it needs

They are certainly setting up for it.

Also two words: CORPSE WITCH.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 10:38 PM, Curry said:

Is there a large disconnect between the books and the show? I watched S1 of Shadow and Bone and it was alright but I might pick up the books if they're just better.

There are some changes as there always are when you turn a book into a show/movie but the Grishaverse books are a trilogy and two duologies. Functionally the first season is a mashup of the first book of the trilogie and the first book of the first duology. Season 2 is mostly the 2nd and 3rd books of the trilogy and about 1/2 of the second book of the first duology. There is also some new stuff in the show and some stuff that was cut. Shadow and Bone is a weird one because the books and show are both good, just different. I think they can be both be enjoyed for what they are.

Edited by The Sovereign

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2023 at 7:13 PM, Edema Ruh said:

Hello um quick question (shadow and bone season 2 spoilers I guess)

Hide contents

WHY THE LIGHT IS JESPER WEARING A SKIRT

HAHAHAHA 

well his style was always described as quite flashy 

I had this thought 

I think the main gripe i have with the show (the crows storyline, we arent gonna talk about the alina plot) 

Its that The Barrel, in the show, is portrayed as a....very dark and depressing place

And sure 

Book Barrel was dark and depressing too 

But it was also...sinful. it was heady, indulgent, hedonistic. Thats why the gambling halls and...ahem....other establishments made so much money 

It was a place to let go of all of your inhibitions and Kaz made it his business to take advantage of those loose morals 

And show barrel just isnt that

Yeah, I did feel that a lot, it just didn’t feel like such a…well like such a joyfully wrong place. But it did have a lot of the random humor that we kind of expect, which is nice, like Jesper’s goat in the beginning.

(yeah let’s not talk about Alina) 

On 6/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, Edema Ruh said:

Hello um quick question (shadow and bone season 2 spoilers I guess)

Reveal hidden contents

WHY THE LIGHT IS JESPER WEARING A SKIRT

Hehe I noticed this a few episodes in and just had to laugh. It's definitely something I feel like he would do. He's so special and I love it!! :lol:

On 6/21/2023 at 0:41 AM, Cruciatus_heart said:

And show barrel just isnt that

This is true. I didn't love their portrayal of Ketterdam as a whole. It just felt off. And they didn't keep any of the original dutch influence it felt like. 

On 6/21/2023 at 7:36 AM, Edema Ruh said:

Yeah, I did feel that a lot, it just didn’t feel like such a…well like such a joyfully wrong place. But it did have a lot of the random humor that we kind of expect, which is nice, like Jesper’s goat in the beginning.

(yeah let’s not talk about Alina) 

The test of the show I thought got the vibe of the books very well. They just didn't pull through on the barrel sadly. I love Milo :wub: and of course by the rest of the show I mean the rest of the crows :pp I think by mid-season 2 I was skipping every scene that didn't have the crows or Nikolai. I don't think I missed much lol. 

Oh my goodness! Why have I been avoiding this show for so long? It's storming amazing and my mind is blown. 

I read the first book a while ago and I thought it was pretty good but I never finished the series. I couldn't sleep the other night so I figuerd I'd try out a new show and it's sooo good! I'm bringing the books with me to camp where I'll finally have time to read them. And why is Jesper so amazing? I very rarely like TV characters as much as I like him. 

Also, has anyone read the remnant chronicles? Because Kerrigan really reminds me of the Komizar. Like it's weird how similar their vibes are.