I read the Shadow and Bone trilogy around the time the show came out, as I had a friend who really liked them and was very excited for the show.  I never got around to any of the other books, though.  At the time, they were hard to come by in the library system, and I just never got them.

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I read the Shadow and Bone trilogy around the time the show came out, as I had a friend who really liked them and was very excited for the show.  I never got around to any of the other books, though.  At the time, they were hard to come by in the library system, and I just never got them.

I'm almost done with the show and am very excited for the second season!

On 1/28/2022 at 10:35 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

hey anyone read these they are great, have only read Shadow and Bone am planning on reading the others. anyone read these?

Oh yeah yeah these are GREAT. I love the Grishaverse, especially Six of Crows. 6ou should definitely read all of them. I've read all except the Nikolai Duology. And the show is awesome too. Can't wait for season 2.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:55 AM, Elf said:

Oh yeah yeah these are GREAT. I love the Grishaverse, especially Six of Crows. 6ou should definitely read all of them. I've read all except the Nikolai Duology. And the show is awesome too. Can't wait for season 2.

For reference: Six of Crows duology > Nikolai duology > Shadow & Bone trilogy

All of them are amazing, of course.

Edited by Szeth_Pancakes

11 hours ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

For reference: Six of Crows duology > Nikolai duology > Shadow & Bone duology

All of them are amazing, of course.

If you are saying the order in which they should be read then, no I don't think that's correct. 

If you saying which are your favorites then cool.

I read the first Shadow & Bone book, and I was...not impressed. I liked it, but I had read so many similar or similar-feeling YA books at the time, I just didn't see this one going anywhere special. I read Six of Crows and loved it though! I haven't gotten around to reading the sequel, but I'll do that someday. I'm really not interested in the rest of the world or series or in the adaptation either, but I'm happy for the series' success. Bardugo's earned it. (I also try to leverage the series' success to influence those who have read it to read Mistborn as well.) 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Okay, so I am lacking in reading these but I really want to.

My mom is super strict. Do you guys have any ways to help me get my mom to let me read these?

Is there any content that she should be worried about. (Anything mothers of high school freshmen would worry about).

1 hour ago, livingbrightness said:

Okay, so I am lacking in reading these but I really want to.

My mom is super strict. Do you guys have any ways to help me get my mom to let me read these?

Is there any content that she should be worried about. (Anything mothers of high school freshmen would worry about).

No actually. Apart from the violence, there's no content that she would be worried about. Ok, so in the Shadow and Bone series, in the final book, there's some of "that" content (if you get my meaning.). In SoC and CK, there's absolutely no content liek "that" but there's are kiss scenes and innuendo, if I'm not mistaken. And I can't really vouch for the Nikolai Trilogy, since I haven't read it. 

There's this site, Common Sense Media and it has rating for all these books including just how much of adult content is there. You can show that site to your mother and maybe then she can decide if you should read it or not. 

And once again, I thank my stars that no one moniters what I read or watch.

Edit: Here 

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/shadow-and-bone-the-grisha-trilogy-book-1 

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/six-of-crows-book-1 

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/king-of-scars-king-of-scars-duology-book-1

Edited by Elf

10 hours ago, Elf said:

No actually. Apart from the violence, there's no content that she would be worried about. Ok, so in the Shadow and Bone series, in the final book, there's some of "that" content (if you get my meaning.). In SoC and CK, there's absolutely no content liek "that" but there's are kiss scenes and innuendo, if I'm not mistaken. And I can't really vouch for the Nikolai Trilogy, since I haven't read it. 

There's this site, Common Sense Media and it has rating for all these books including just how much of adult content is there. You can show that site to your mother and maybe then she can decide if you should read it or not. 

And once again, I thank my stars that no one moniters what I read or watch.

Edit: Here 

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/shadow-and-bone-the-grisha-trilogy-book-1 

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/six-of-crows-book-1 

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/king-of-scars-king-of-scars-duology-book-1

Okay that makes sense. And is really good advice. Thx.

She decided to be more picky about this series after we watched the tv series. Not that there was anything bad in the tv series. She has gotten way more picky about everything. My family is all LDS (I am not really but I can't tell them that I am not really) and so they think that there shouldn't be anything bad. She gets iffy about books over swear words. (My mom would have a heart attack if I told her I am not straight). 

Also total side note. Have any of you guys read Shadow Hunters By Cassandra Clare. She won't let me read those either. Or Twilight. Or nine thousand other things.

13 hours ago, livingbrightness said:

She decided to be more picky about this series after we watched the tv series. Not that there was anything bad in the tv series. She has gotten way more picky about everything. My family is all LDS (I am not really but I can't tell them that I am not really) and so they think that there shouldn't be anything bad. She gets iffy about books over swear words. (My mom would have a heart attack if I told her I am not straight). 

Also total side note. Have any of you guys read Shadow Hunters By Cassandra Clare. She won't let me read those either. Or Twilight. Or nine thousand other things.

This is from someone who's read the books and seen the show- there's more innuendo and "that" stuff in the show. The books mainly focus on the action thats happening. I'm talking about the Grishaverse btw

Edited by Elf

2 hours ago, livingbrightness said:

I haven't read twilight, but I have read Shadow Hunters. The first book is pretty much fine, but I stopped reading the series before the last book because there was way too much of that content. As a highschool freshmen myself, it kinda makes sense that your mom won't let you read those ones. 

5 hours ago, Ookla the Theoretical said:

I haven't read twilight, but I have read Shadow Hunters. The first book is pretty much fine, but I stopped reading the series before the last book because there was way too much of that content. As a highschool freshmen myself, it kinda makes sense that your mom won't let you read those ones. 

Sweet. That makes more sense.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, Demon Thieves said:

She decided to be more picky about this series after we watched the tv series. Not that there was anything bad in the tv series. She has gotten way more picky about everything. My family is all LDS members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (I know it's longer, please still use it.) - Tani (I am not really but I can't tell them that I am not really) and so they think that there shouldn't be anything bad. She gets iffy about books over swear words. (My mom would have a heart attack if I told her I am not straight).

I don't think I've read Shadow Hunters?

Twilight has bad relationships and stuff, but doesn't get explicit or innapropriate with Law of Chastity stuff. (fade to black, post marriage. Kinda like Warbreaker maybe? You know it's happening, but it's very carefully skipped.) I haven't read it, but my friend has and told me this.