What if You Remove all of Your Connections?

Trusk'our

Question

Since future sight is reading the Connections of spiritwebs, could you prevent someone from seeing your future by removing or hiding your Connections? Would this make you undetectable to Shards and other beings who ‘see’ primarily through the spiritual realm? If completely removing all of your Connections isn’t a viable option, could you simply use Feruchemical Duralumin to prevent yourself from making any new ones? If you were to perform an action while Feruchemically storing your Connection, would someone who could see into your past, such as by burning Malatium, be unable to witness you taking that action?

9 answers to this question

I am pretty sure that if you remove all of your connections then a bunch of stuff would happen. You would be undetectable in a way, and I can guess that you will have a sort of ghostliness to your body because you are not connected with the physical world. So you would be a Cognitive shadow of a sort. I can also guess that you cannot be connected with anyone else, language-wise, and stuff like that. Any spren bonds would be cut off. But I do not think this could happen unless someone is born as a Full Twinborn or at least a Duralumin Twinborn. Freaky stuff. 

Uh... or maybe it will be a case of fate worse than death, and you basically turn into a spectre that can't interact with anything?  There's also the idea that the term "Spiritweb" comes from the web of Connections of someone's life. So, unraveling your soul doesn't sound like a great idea. Some method of hiding Connections and creating false Connections might be safer for hiding, assuming they exist (given that Hoid can hide from the Shards, there's probably something, some method that can accomplish this)

I don't think it's possible to completely store all of your connections, the others don't seem to work that way. From what I remember, anyways, it seemed like there was limit where a feruchemist could store up to that point and no further.

If you can though, I agree with the others that storing all of your connections seems unwise.

I think it would probably be fatal - Jezrien's soul/Cognitive Shadow evaporated/went beyond due to having "no valid Connection" to the physical or spiritual realm.

But I don't know you could get there with Duralumin Feruchemy- it may not store all forms of Connection but be something more specific.

Love this question. It would probably drive most souls insane; but if a soul's internal connections were stable enough to maintain themselves even in a spiritual vacuum, then...yeah, I would think one could...disconnect.

Would that make them a spectre who can't be detected, or let them step outside the pattern like Ishmael in WoT? That I can't say...

You would be undetectable, yes but...

You would lose the ability to speak.

You would lose your memory.

And the most drastic: your brain communicates through electromagnetic pulses, so you would die instantly (or almost).