Nerdy baby names

DramaQueen

So maybe I'm just really weird, but I like thinking of baby names, even though I'm a teenager and not gonna be having any children for quite some time. I especially like thinking of baby names that are hinting towards characters, but not actually a character's name. For example:

Samantha: call her Sam or Samwise as a nickname

Mara: could be short for Marasi if you want

Les: Lestibournes! Or Les from Newsies

Rena: Renarin?

Ella: Elend?

If anyone else is weird and does this.....post your ideas, ig. 

Honestly, rather than using Mara as a subtle reference, you could probably get away with literally naming a baby Marasi. It's a normal sounding enough name, phonemically speaking, that I don't think it would weird people out.

My favorite name to give to a baby is Victor/Victoria. Like, it's mindblowing to me that we consider it perfectly culturally normal and mundane to call someone a victor (a winner) and have that unironically be their name. And I absolutely love it.

7 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

My favorite name to give to a baby is Victor/Victoria. Like, it's mindblowing to me that we consider it perfectly culturally normal and mundane to call someone a victor (a winner) and have that unironically be their name. And I absolutely love it.

amanda is also fun like that, it literally translates to something like "give love"

Amanda is close but not quite as awesome. Because its etymologic reference to love is latinate, not English, and it only really became a common name in medieval times. Back in the classical era, when people spoke Latin as their mother tongue, it was a very rare name.

When the meaning of a name is not in the same language as the one of the present-day country, you can get away with a lot. But when the meaning of a name is a direct noun or adjective from the language, what determines its "normalcy" is basically historical coincidence. You see more Grace's than Clarity's today because there happened to be more Grace's than Clarity's in the past, making one of the words "feel" more "namelike" than the other. But, it is conceivable, counterfactually speaking, that it could've been the other way around just fine.