Dissembling The Letter

RedBeardRaven

If we were theoryland, there would already be factions about the nature of the recipient. I'm of the "The recipient is an actual dragon" faction, myself. Your quote is really close to the only evidence for it, but why not?

Thucydides: Awesome analysis. I think you've pegged most of the intent, assuming we can take the letter at face value. Wonderful. Have you done this kind of analysis before?

Ha!!! I found the quote, and it was from Brandon himself. There are dragons in dragonsteel.

Source = https://sites.google.com/site/brandonothology/brandonothology/part-1

Feifner: Do you think you will ever include dragons in your books?

Dragonsteel, a series I’ll do someday, has Dragons in it. Hint: This world/series is very important to Hoid.

Edited by Catalyst21

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

1: Old friend, I hope this missive finds you well.

2: Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given.

3: I realize that you are probably still angry.

4: That is pleasant to know.

5: Much as your perpetual health, I have come to rely upon your dissatisfaction with me.

17: Ponder on that for a time, you old reptile, and tell me if your insistence on nonintervention holds firm.

37: I've never begged you for something before, old friend.

38: I do so now.”

I was looking at this letter to see if there was any evidence that supported Sazed being the recipient of this letter. I've decided against it, but I have come up with a new thought. Hoid addresses the recipient as "you old reptile." What if that's not a figure of speech? Hoid is, after all, from the Dragonsteel world. He could be writing to a dragon-person. And it sounds as if he's known this person for a long time, possibly indicating that they were on the same world together.

There really isn't much to go on, and I think that we'll have to wait for some time before this theory can be confirmed or disproven, but what do you guys think?

Brandon actually has confirmed that the recipient is indeed in Dragonsteel. And it does have Dragon in the title.

SPENCERPANGER (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

Is the recipient of the letter in Way of Kings also in Dragonsteel?

BRANDON ON SANDERSON (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

Yes. (Good question.)

SPENCERPANGER

If so would it be the person that Topaz gets mad at?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO on the second one. I've already given you too much!

Source

• 3 months later...

I was looking at this letter to see if there was any evidence that supported Sazed being the recipient of this letter. I've decided against it, but I have come up with a new thought. Hoid addresses the recipient as "you old reptile." What if that's not a figure of speech? Hoid is, after all, from the Dragonsteel world. He could be writing to a dragon-person. And it sounds as if he's known this person for a long time, possibly indicating that they were on the same world together.

There really isn't much to go on, and I think that we'll have to wait for some time before this theory can be confirmed or disproven, but what do you guys think?

I think I should join this faction. I've proposed it four or five times in different places. Maybe we should make it formal.

My two cents to throw in:

If the recipient is so big on non-intervention, and Hoid is so big on meddling, it makes sense said recipient would be constantly angry with Hoid. His reference to a constant of the Cosmere seems to be a little joke at the fact that somebody who doesn't like meddling will be constantly angry with a person like Hoid

The mention of "The Element" is something I find very interesting. Particularly the mention of how he would "protect it like his own skin". It could simply be a joke about Hoid's self-preserving skills, but it could also indicate that he absorbed it, IS it, or something related.

The letter's recipient has been around for at least as long as Hoid has, considering that the writer assumes the reciever will understand and recognize the names of all the Shardholders.

Both writer and reciever knew each other closly at one time. Though the opening could be taken as sarcasm, which is Hoid's style, the mention of old grudges and old friends, among other things, indicates that they knew/know one another well. It is entirely possible that, like Ati, the recipient chose non-intervention and dislike of Hoid simply because it was the Shard's intent. It would explain a shift from friend to "enemy".

And well, this has gotten a bit longer than I expected to fit into two cents.

Much as your perpetual health, I have come to rely upon your dissatisfaction with me.

Could be me taking too much from too little, but who catches the reference to the fact that Hoid relies on the recipient's perpetual health? Is it possible that they've had dealings similar to this before? I'm not really sure where to go with that information...

Edited by Observer

• Chaos locked this topic