Book of Boba Fett

I've only watched the first 2 or 3 episodes.  Those were unimpressive enough that I keep on forgetting to catch up.  I'll probably watch the rest eventually, but the "omg I'm so excited I have to watch this as soon as it comes out" wore off pretty quickly.  

Honestly I think the show would work a lot better if it was about a new character, not Boba Fett.  It just doesn't match the way I see the character at all.  (I was not expecting them to make him a Traditional Honorable Good Guy)

2 minutes ago, Jozomby said:

I've only watched the first 2 or 3 episodes.  Those were unimpressive enough that I keep on forgetting to catch up.  I'll probably watch the rest eventually, but the "omg I'm so excited I have to watch this as soon as it comes out" wore off pretty quickly.  

Honestly I think the show would work a lot better if it was about a new character, not Boba Fett.  It just doesn't match the way I see the character at all.  (I was not expecting them to make him a Traditional Honorable Good Guy)

I do not disagree. It almost feels like an unnecessary story to tell. I liked the cameo in The Mandalorian and maybe it should have just ended there. I will finish it up and maybe it will finish stronger than it started but I do not have a lot of hope.

So far the best part has been a character that made an appearance in episode 3 I think but I will not mention their name to avoid a spoiler. 

I think it's okay at best, and certainly not one I plan on revisiting.

BOBF is a show that's built around the in-world and real-world reputation and infamy of Boba Fett, and the perceived injustice the character suffered because of his "untimely" demise. If you don't buy into the character's shtick, then the show may not work for you. If you do buy into the character's shtick, the show still may not work for you, as the show diverges itself from who Boba has been seen as to where the show wants him to go. I fall into the former category mostly, and the later a little, and so the show doesn't work for me on most levels. The acting is good for what it is, if not a little stale (Ming-Na Wen always delivers though), the setting has great sets and terrible settings, the story is meandering and not very tense, most of the flashbacks are straight-up boring, and the action isn't that good. At least to me. I know people who love it, and I know some who just can't get into it. Of the MCU/Star Wars shows released on Disney+, I think this one has been the most...middling in terms of reception.* And that's fine, since not every show is going to knock it out of the park. My dad likes it, and that's good enough for me. 

For a newcomer, at this point I honestly recommend starting at Episode 4 and just watching 4-7 when the season is over, rather than watching 1-7. Assuming I recommend this show at all, which I'm not likely to do. This may change once the season ends, however. 

*This is counting: WandaVision, Falcon & the Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, The Mandalorian, Star Wars: The Clone Wars Final Season, Star Wars Visions, and The Bad Batch. Visions probably is in second place for those who watch it, but that show was always going to be divisive by its very nature. 

I don’t hate it and I don’t love it. I may be the odd one out here, but I loved everything with the Tusken Raiders. Fleshing then out as a culture instead of just random group always causing trouble on Tatooine was really interesting to me. Honestly there were a lot of parallels between them and Indigenous people that my husband and I found interesting. And while I enjoyed all of that part, it did make the present day stuff slower. Hopefully the last few episodes pick up the pace on that front. 

6 hours ago, Philomath said:

I may be the odd one out here, but I loved everything with the Tusken Raiders. Fleshing then out as a culture instead of just random group always causing trouble on Tatooine was really interesting to me. Honestly there were a lot of parallels between them and Indigenous people that my husband and I found interesting.

I'm glad you liked that! I definitely caught the parallels as well, as did others I've talked to.

I wasn't a fan of those flashbacks for a couple of reasons, mainly I felt it to be infringing upon the Mighty Whitey trope, and it seemed that Boba maintained his awesomeness everywhere but when it came to the Tusken Raiders. Taking down an alien monster while be dehydrated and severely weakened? Sure. Taking down a biker gang? Fine. But taking down a Tusken? The hardest thing in the world!

My own personal favorite takes on the Tusken culture are from the non-canon book Kenobi and from the Mandalorian. Both times you have two cultures that are explored and at odds (the residents of Tatooine vs the Tusken Raiders) and both sides feel justified in their assaults against each other. Both times you have someone from outside the culture who is part of neither, but works with both to help achieve a harmony - or at least a temporary piece - that would have been impossible without them. They don't save one culture from oppressors, nor do they join either side at the end - this character is an intermediary and I find that to be a tad more respectful IMO. 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

My own personal favorite takes on the Tusken culture are from the non-canon book Kenobi and from the Mandalorian. Both times you have two cultures that are explored and at odds (the residents of Tatooine vs the Tusken Raiders) and both sides feel justified in their assaults against each other. Both times you have someone from outside the culture who is part of neither, but works with both to help achieve a harmony - or at least a temporary piece - that would have been impossible without them. They don't save one culture from oppressors, nor do they join either side at the end - this character is an intermediary and I find that to be a tad more respectful IMO. 

I’ll have to check out the Kenobi book sometime. I also liked them in the Mandalorian too. 

And so far the best episode...

Spoiler

Does not even have Boba Fett in it. I think this episode just made all the previous ones worst for me. Although I have found some things interesting I just do not care about Boba trying to take over Jabba's crime family.. Especially while trying to convert from a ruthless bounty hunter to a "man of the people". I'll keep watching it but man I just want to see Mandalorian Season 3. 

I really enjoyed the whole thing.

The reason you have the Tusken arc is to show why Boba is as he is right now, and not the same fairly heartless bounty hunter beforehand, nor the revenge obsessed kid of Clone Wars or something in between.  If you have in your head a picture of who Boba should be and are upset that's not who he is...well, that's your right.  I wasn't ever into him the way a lot of other people were so the fact that he turned into something different was an interesting development for me.  Side point - this whole arc also explains why Boba didn't just try to kill Mando to get the armor back, and why he honored his word for a team up in Season 2 of Mando. So if you liked who Boba was in Mando Season 2...well, that's the guy you got in BoBF.

He's not all sunshine and daisies.  He's not above shows of force, intimidation, all that, and I think he'll still demand tribute and be pretty harsh on those who are not up to snuff, but he takes seriously his obligations as Daimyo, something that could not be said of Bib Fortuna, Mok Shaiz or anyone else who may bid for power there. He's pragmatic enough to let bygones be bygones, and to employ people with shady or terrible pasts.  His time in community with the Tuskens gave him something I think he never had, and he wants that pretty badly, in addition to not having to work for someone who will risk his (boba's) life on a whim to make some money.

I'm not gonna say it's as good as Mando, because I don't think it was.  But it was just fine, it filled in a ton of gaps, we got to see

Spoiler

Grogu cuddling a Rancor

at the end...I call that a win :)

After Bob's The Mandalorian cameo I liked the character a lot - the first episode was also quite nice, while the second episode was the best of the season.
I don't like the fact that they made Bob Fett a polite Scout who does his best not to hurt anyone.

But what let me down the most was the last episode ... The first half was irrelevant, especially these shootings are simply a waste of time. Only with the appearance of Cad Bane did the whole thing make sense, and not only did we have to watch them shoot at the force field ...
Both the first and second seasons of the Mandalorian were much better. Hope the Kenobi series is going to be really good