Khriss's assistant - a short story

Fish613

Hi all! The idea for this very short story came to me some time ago, and I sat down earlier this evening to type it out. Believe it or not, this is probably my first real attempt at creative writing for about 15 years, so I'll be happy to get any (gentle) critiques and ecstatic if you drop a comment to tell me you actually read it.

Very minor spoilers for Dawnshard and Rhythm of War.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of the corner of her eye, Khriss watched the man shift from foot to foot. He opened his mouth and closed it once, twice, three times. She took pity on him. "Yes?" He started and straightened up. "Well, I was wondering... You see, you told me about the Dalinar and Odium’s agreement, and about Rayse and Taravangian, and Hoid getting - what was the word you used? Hornwalloped?"

"Hornswoggled", she corrected him, setting her tea down on the side table.

"That was it, hornswoggled. Anyway, I got all of that. I just need to know - what happened next?"

"Next?"

"Yes!" he burst out. "What happened next? I mean, you've been recording the history of the Cosmere for years! Literally thousands of years! I'm trying to help you, I really am, but how am I supposed to do that when you don't give me the full story? How can I do my job?"

Khriss leaned forward in her chair. "Your job?" Her voice became firm. "I hired you. I decide what your job is and how I want you to do it." She gestured at the reams of paper on the bookcase opposite her. "I've given you unrestricted access to all of my notes. The history of the Cosmere from the Shattering to the present day. A complete taxonomy of the flora and fauna of Yolen. The Ars Arcanum, a collection of knowledge the most noble-minded scholar would feed their own grandmother to Nightblood to read." A thought struck her. "That reminds me - one of them did. Remind me to tell you that story some day."

The man tried to speak, but she stopped him. "And that access has done wonders for you, hasn't it? Think what you've accomplished. You've used our partnership to do wonderful things, haven't you?"

The man looked resigned. "Yes."

"Yes, you have." She smiled as if encouraging a child. "Very wonderful things. Now do you really think for a moment that you would have accomplished any of this yourself?"

The man looked down at the shadow cast by the orb directly above him. "No."

"I would think, then, that someone in your position would be a little less demanding and a little more grateful."

He stared at the floor. She waited. Slowly, begrudgingly, he spoke. "Thank you, Khriss, for letting me be your assistant."

She sat back again. "There. That wasn't so hard, was it?" She picked up her tea and took another sip. "Now, to your question. I have not yet given you the continuation of the story for a number of reasons. Partly, it has not suited me to do so. Partly, there are secrets there which even I must be cautious about sharing. But mostly because I have not yet written it."

The man jerked his head up again. "Not yet written?" He started pacing. "But - I mean - how am I - what - Khriss, how can I carry on the next phase?"

Khriss sighed to herself. "You forget yourself again. The next phase will happen when I am ready, not when your people want it to. I told you, these are deep, powerful secrets, and I will not release them to the world until I can express them in a way I am sure will do no harm. Odium's grand design. A Bondsmith unchained. The significance of Ishar's experiments. Even Dawnshards - the Sleepless were not wrong about the damage those could do in the wrong hands, and the wrong word could bring about another Shattering. No, my mind is made up. I will transcribe those memories when I am ready to, not before."

The man was still agitated. "But what am I to do? I've already promised them I'm working on the next phase! They'll be expecting progress!"

"You'll just have to think of something to tell them. You're at such an early stage you can't quantify your progress. You had to finish up tidying the edges of the last phase. Another project came along. You'll think of something, I'm sure."

"But - "

"No more!" She waved her hand. "I have spoken. That is the end."

He stared motionless at her for another minute. Eventually, he dropped his arms and slumped. "Fine. Whatever you say. I'll think of something." He laughed, bitterly. "I’m a good assistant."

She beamed at him again. "Oh, you're doing simply fine! You're providing me with a safe, comfortable place to write and ponder the fruits of my long, weary labours and wanderings. And in return, I'm giving you knowledge you could never have dreamed of. I have to admit, I'm impressed by the use you're putting it to."

"You are?"

"Of course!" She thought for a moment. "All these years I spent working on the Ars Arcanum. I always thought that was going to be my mark on the world after I was eventually gone. My magnum opus. But you showed me otherwise. Humankind doesn't want power. Humans do, certainly, but the kinds of people who take it are seldom the ones who humankind would choose to have it. No," she gestured again to her bookcase, "what humankind wants is stories. Imagination. Inspiration. Not the limits of what is, but the boundless possibilities of what could be. The stories of the Cosmere, that is what will last, long after the Invested arts are forgotten. That’s what you do."

"That's..." The man paused. "Khriss, I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

Khriss tried not to show her surprise at the realisation he was probably right. "Remember, there is a reason I chose you as my assistant. I am no creature of Whimsy. If you were not the person you are, you would not have been able to use my gift as you have." She stood. "All I expect is that you remember it is my gift, and it is in my power to bestow it as I choose. Now, I believe we have no more business tonight."

The man pulled himself up, nodded, and turned to the door. He stretched for the handle and stopped. "Oh, while I think of it, the Nalthiss essay...?"

"Goodnight, Brandon."

The man scurried out the door and closed it behind him. Khriss sat back down on her sofa, kicked off her slippers and put her feet up on the cushions. Her assistant was getting pushier. It occurred to her that it might be wise to have an alternative lined up, just in case. She picked up her Kindle and glanced through the list of authors she'd been meaning to investigate. Eventually, she settled on one. She opened the first page of The Name of the Wind and settled back.

16 hours ago, Robin Hatter said:

I read it. Khriss seems a bit mean, but otherwise, I liked it!

Thanks so much! There are probably other ways of pulling off the scene without Khriss being so mean, but that's what came out as I wrote. If I had to rationalise it, in this alternate universe she really is a bit more mean, and the books which present her more favourably are her assistant trying to curry favour...

15 hours ago, Tani said:

This is fun! I like it.

Thanks!