Tani

Quick Fix 58: Rebellion

372 posts in this topic

“Now what was it that you needed to tell me in private?”

“The Lightweavers have discovered something incredibly sensitive about the rebellion. Amaram’s people have infiltrated our ranks. There might even be some among the Radiants.”

“That’s quite the issue. If this got out it’d be chaos.”

“Worse than that, sir. It’d be a bloodbath.”

“And with everyone pointing fingers, it’d be so much harder to find the spies. Who else knows?”

“Well, the Lightweavers who found it, of course. I’m pretty sure they haven’t told others. I’ve only told you. The plants should know.”

“Alright. Tell the Lightweavers who already know that we need to find them as quickly as possible, with as little fuss as possible. And tell them to tell me everything they find about this – whether it incriminates or clears someone from suspicion. Until we find all the imposters, we can’t trust anyone.”

~ ~ ~

“I have an idea, Brightlord. What if we spread rumors of what we’re doing?”

“Why would we do that?”

“Because chaos.”

Welcome to QF58! I'm the GM, and Devo is probably IM.

Signups will end at 4:20-ish PM UTC on January 26th.

Rollover will be at 4:20-ish PM UTC. (11:20-ish AM EST)

Rules and stuff:

Spoiler

This QF is different from most ways of playing Mafia. It’s been broken by my older brother who breaks most games, patched by my older sisters, and fixed by my older brother who breaks most games. I call it - and all its variations - star Mafia.

BEWARE: I enjoy the idea of trolling.

I will tell you how many elims there are and which roles (not people) they are. Other than that, I will tell you nothing except there’s a possibility of there being as many as three and as few as zero each of the other roles, based on RNG and stuff like that. (I'll tell you which roles are being used.)

Rules

Basic Gameplay

Spoiler
  • 24-hour day/night cycles
  • Inactivity filter of two cycles
  • Inactivity filter applies if you don't talk on the thread.
  • I don’t Shard on Sundays, and won’t ask anyone else to either. There will be no Rollover on the weekend – there will be an extra-long cycle instead.
  • There will be an Exile each day, with a one vote minimum. Tied votes will be decided by RNG. You can vote for no exile.
  • The game will continue for as long as win conditions can be reached.
  • If a player or group achieves their wincon, they stay in the game until removed normally. The game continues for as long as ANY player or group can still win.
  • PMs may only be opened by the Bondsmith.
  • Alignment and role are not revealed upon death, except through a Will.
  • Actions can be used every cycle unless stated otherwise.
  • Actions last one cycle unless stated otherwise.
  • You are notified if your role is switched to a kill role, you are not notified if your role is switched away from a kill role.
  • You are not notified if your action is redirected.
  • I will make it clear if someone is attacked and protected, dies to inactivity filter, is removed by exile, and how many kills they die to. The attacker/attacked/protector know no more than the thread knows.
  • Being switched by the Willshapers doesn't change your actions or targets.
  • If your action fails for any reason, you are not notified unless the action is a limited action (like executing.)
  • I'll send private reminders of impending filter kills
  • You can vote for no exile.

FACTIONS:

Spoiler
  • The factions are the Kholin Loyalists (Village,) the Amaram Rebels (Elim,) and the Ghostbloods (Neutral.)
    • The Amaram Rebels win when all the Loyalists are dead.
    • The Amaram Rebels have a faction doc and a kill each night.
    • The Ghostbloods have individual goals and no faction doc.
    • Each Ghostblood has a different win condition.
    • The Kholin Loyalists win when all the Rebels are dead.

WILLS:

Spoiler
  • A will is a statement from you, which I put in the writeup the night you die. You’re in charge of what it says.
    • MUST state alignment correctly unless acted on by the Highprince. MAY state role correctly unless acted on by the Highprince. May say other things, but they can’t be role-gained information (Kas couldn’t say “[Wyrm] is elim,” but could say “I’m leaving my porch to [Araris]” or “someone please stab [Wyrm] for me.”) Elims MUST have a will unless acted on by the Highprince. Stoneward gets no will.
    • If you do not submit a will or do not tell me you don’t want one, I will reveal your alignment and your true role, nothing else.
    • In the player list, I will use the will-revealed alignment and role, not the true one.
    • Lightweaver Squires can investigate dead people. If a Lightweaver Squire reveals a dead person’s alignment and role to the group, I will put that in the player list along with the Lightweaver Squire’s name and the will-revealed alignment and role. I will record all claims this way.

I think that’s it. :) If I’m missing anything or you want clarification, please ask.

DEFINITIONS:

Spoiler
  • House: Abode. Home. Dwelling. Everyone has one. It’s where you usually are, unless the Willshaper moved you that cycle, in which case you’ll be back the next cycle. It’s where everyone looks for you. It’s where you get murdered.
  • Deceive: Basically the dictionary definition. You have to confuse people, in thread, PMs, and wills. You have to try to make others think what isn’t true. Mislead them. Lie to them, but not always - or they’d just know that what you said wasn’t the truth. If I catch you deliberately not misleading people, you die and I will be in charge of your will if you get one. If you make it obvious that you've been Deceived, you are instead Silenced for the remainder of the cycle and/or any future cycles you are Deceived. You can make small helpful comments for a larger Deception. YOU MUST KEEP THIS UP FOR THE ENTIRE CYCLE. You must deceive in thread, docs, and PMs.
  • Silence: If you are Silenced, you must go completely inactive for one cycle, in thread, docs, and PMs. No communication or you die. Being silenced doesn't count towards the inactivity filter.
  • Death by Willshaper: There is a possibility of there being up to four willshapers in any given cycles. Hypothetical situation: Willshaper A switches Players 1 and 2. Willshaper B switches Players 2 and 3. In this case, nobody is switched and Player 2 dies. This will only happen if there are enough players, otherwise there will only be one main Willshaper and one Truthless who might draw the Willshaper Honorblade.

Roles

Spoiler

Start as Rebel:

Spoiler
  • Assassin: Basic Elim. If a Shardbearer doesn't act, an Assassin may carry out the kill instead. If no Assassin or Shardbearer submits a kill, there's no Elim NK. I won't tell you if the Shardbearer's going to act. (with inactiveness a possibility I'm not sure I can.) If the Shardbearer is jailed or otherwise roleblocked, an Assassin may not take the Shardbearer's place as the killer.
  • Shardbearer: If living, carries out the Elim Kill. Has night immunity – cannot be killed in the night by any action. Comes up as Kholin Loyalist to Lightweaver Squire’s action. If the Shardbearer goes inactive and dies to the filter, they'll be demoted to Assassin and I'll make an active Assassin into the Shardbearer. If a Shardbearer doesn't act and an NK target is decided, an Assassin may carry out the kill instead. If no Assassin volunteers for that, there's no Elim NK.
  • Highprince: Makes someone deceive. The Highprince cannot submit the Elim Kill.
    • If there are too few players, the Highprince may be a Ghostblood role.

Start as Loyalist:

Spoiler
  • Bondsmith: Makes two PMs. PMs are between any two players. PMs last until the end of the game. Can add people to a PM for the price of a PM per person added.
    • Clarification: You can create a new PM with three people in it if there’s already one with two of those people in it. The one with two people will be closed. (Thank you Elbereth for this idea!)
  • Edgedancer: Heals one person. Doesn’t work on a Stoneward victim, Skybreaker victim, or Messenger victim. And they obviously can’t use this to stop someone from being Exiled. They can self-target. If they heal someone, they have to heal someone else before they can heal the first person again. Being healed protects the target from all night deaths, including Death by Willshaper.
  • Edgedancer Squire: Same as the Edgedancer, but can’t heal until they've been acted on by the Edgedancer. Can try. Won’t be told when they've been acted on by the Edgedancer.
  • Lightweaver Squire: Two action possibilities: 1) Investigates Person A for Person B (Person B cannot be the Lightweaver Squire.) Picks both people. Person B sees alignment, not role. 2) Sees a dead person’s true role and alignment, as at the time of their death. If someone claims Lightweaver Squire and reveals a dead person's true role and alignment as at the time of their death, I will record their name and their claim for the alignment and role of the dead person UNLESS they make it clear beyond any doubt that they're joking. Claims made in PMs are not recorded. Conflicting statements are both recorded.
  • Skybreaker: Jails one person per cycle if there’s not an exile. No limits on how many times in a row you can jail the same person. Can jail and execute one person total (must indicate.) Jailed people cannot be acted on by anyone other than the Skybreaker, the Stoneward, and the Messenger. Jailed people cannot act. Jailed people are not informed that they’ve been jailed. If the Skybreaker jails and executes the Shardbearer, the Shardbearer dies. If the Skybreaker tries to execute someone and fails due to a roleblock or Bad Spheres, their execution is not spent and I will inform them of that fact. If the Skybreaker squire's target targets a Jailed role, Skybreaker Squire reads it as a kill.
  • Skybreaker Squire: Sees someone’s crimes (if they kill or prepare to kill someone), not their alignment. If a Skybreaker squire targets a kill role and the kill role is roleblocked, Skybreaker squire reads it as a no kill. If the Skybreaker squire's target targets a protected role, Skybreaker squire reads it as a kill.
  • Stoneward: Kills one of his killers/exilers, by choice. Nothing and nobody can save his victims. Stoneward doesn’t get a will. Stoneward acts during the cycle after s/he is killed. The Stoneward is required to kill someone the cycle after they die and don't get access to the dead doc until they do. If they don’t choose a target, I will choose their target by RNG.
  • Willshaper: Switches what happens to two people. (If Willshaper switches Skybreaker and Assassin, and Shardbearer tries to kill Skybreaker, Assassin dies.) Death by Willshaper:  Willshaper A switches Players 1 and 2. Willshaper B switches Players 2 and 3. In this case, nobody is switched and Player 2 dies.
  • You may want to look at the Death by Willshaper bit in the Definitions part of Possible Roles for more information.
  • Windrunner: Protects a house against Dustbringers and any kill except the reaction kills (Stoneward, Messenger). If someone comes to kill the current inhabitant of that house, or prepare the house for burning, the Windrunner and the killer/Dustbringer die and the inhabitant survives. If the Shardbearer attacks the Windrunner’s target, only the Windrunner dies. If the Stoneward attacks the Windrunner’s target, only the Stoneward’s target dies. The Windrunner cannot protect against the Exile.
  • Elsecaller: Stakes out one house each cycle. One visitor in the night gets killed, by RNG.
  • Truthless of Shinovar: Gets a different role each cycle, by RNG. Have fun! :D
    • The Truthless can roll any role I'm using. (There will be some roles that won't be available. I will tell you which roles are being used.)

Start as Ghostblood

Spoiler
  • Lightweaver: Switches two people’s roles without switching their alignments.
    • Lightweaver wins if they switch a role from each of the factions to a member of a different faction. Swapping yourself doesn’t count.
  • Messenger: When exiled, must guilt someone who voted for him/her into dying. May choose who to guilt. Messenger acts during the cycle after s/he is killed. The Messenger is required to kill someone and doesn't get access to the dead doc until they do. If the Messenger doesn’t choose a target, I will RNG their target.
    • Messenger wants to be exiled.
  • Dustbringer: Has three actions: 1) Prepares a house for burning. (Also prepares own house.) 2) Undo preparations for one house. 3) Light all prepared houses.
    • Dustbringer wants only Ghostbloods alive at the end of the game.
  • Truthwatcher: Silences one person per cycle. Silence lasts one cycle. Also cancels the Bad Spheres function for one cycle if they silence the one who has Bad Spheres. The Truthwatcher cannot silence someone if they've silenced them within the last two cycles.
    • Truthwatcher wants to survive until the end of the game.

Order of Actions

Spoiler

Exile→ Truthless→ Skybreaker→ Willshaper→ Lightweaver→ Dusk → Skybreaker Squire, Lightweaver Squire, Elsecaller → Windrunner→ Assassin, Shardbearer→ Dustbringer→ Edgedancer→ Truthwatcher, Edgedancer Squire→ Bondsmith→ Dawn → Stoneward kill, Messenger kill → Highprince

The Stoneward and Messenger act during the cycle after the cycle they are removed in. Truthless learns which role they roll at the start of the turn (like a Mistborn)

Possible Game Functions

Spoiler

Bad Spheres – the player with Bad Spheres cannot act that cycle. Bad Spheres moves every cycle., and the holder of Bad Spheres is not alerted that they have it, or if their action failed due to Bad Spheres. The first cycle, Bad Spheres is assigned randomly. If the player with Bad Spheres acts, Bad Spheres moves to the player who the holder tried to act on.

Betrothal – If there are enough players, two players will be Betrothed (by RNG). The Betrothed players automatically have a PM with each other. If one Betrothed player dies, so does the other. The Betrothed players do not know each others’ alignments or roles. They get told in their joint PM if one of their roles has changed.

Twins - If there are enough players, two players will be Twins (by RNG). The Twins automatically have a PM with each other. The Twins will both start as village, and will be told in their joint PM if one of their roles changes, but not what it’s changed to.

Quick Links:

Rule clarifications: (aka "Tani has clarity problems")

Spoiler

Silencing doesn't count towards the inactivity filter.

I'll tell you how many elims there are. I'll tell how many are assassins. I'll tell if there's a Shardbearer (there won't be more than one). I'll tell if there's a Highprince (I don't think there'll be more than one).

If a player or group achieves their wincon, they stay in the game until removed normally. The game continues for as long as ANY player or group can still win.

If you are silenced, you can't talk on docs, PMs, or the thread.

Inactivity filter applies if you don't talk on the thread.

All the roles that kill after "Dawn" kill the Shardbearer. (Skybreaker, messenger, stoneward.)

Skybreaker stuff: Someone can be jailed multiple turns in a row. The jailed person is not informed that they've been jailed. Jailed people cannot successfully self-target. If the skybreaker hits the shardbearer, the shardbearer dies. If the skybreaker tries and fails, for any reason, to use their execution, their execution is not spent and I will inform them of that fact.

If the Shardbearer goes inactive and dies to the filter, they'll be demoted to Assassin and I'll make an active Assassin into the Shardbearer by RNG.

If a Shardbearer doesn't act and an NK target is decided, an Assassin may carry out the kill instead. If no Assassin volunteers for that, there's no Elim NK.

If someone claims Lightweaver Squire and reveals a dead person's true role and alignment as at the time of their death, I will record their name and their claim for the alignment and role of the dead person UNLESS they make it clear beyond any doubt that they're joking. Claims made in PMs are not recorded. Conflicting statements are both recorded.

(you know what imma just verbify deceive.)

If you make it obvious that you've been Deceived, you are instead Silenced for the remainder of the cycle and/or any future cycles you are Deceived.

Loyalists are vil. Rebels are elim. Ghostbloods are neutral. (newt?)

I'll send private reminders of impending filter kills.

You can make small helpful comments for a larger Deception.

Betrotheds are told in their joint PM that one of their roles has changed.

If a Skybreaker squire targets a kill role and the kill role is roleblocked, Skybreaker squire reads it as a no kill. If the Skybreaker squire's target targets a protected role, Skybreaker squire reads it as a kill.

Being Jailed counts as being Protected and Roleblocked. If the Skybreaker squire's target targets a Jailed role, Skybreaker Squire reads it as a kill.

The Stoneward is required to kill someone. If they die to the vote, they can kill anyone who voted on them. If they die to a vil or newt night kill, they kill the one who killed them. If they die to an Elim night kill, they can kill any Elim other than the Shardbearer and I tell them that whole list to choose from. The Stoneward doesn't get access to the dead doc until they kill someone.

The Messenger is required to kill someone who voted on them the cycle they died and doesn't get access to the dead doc until they do.

If the Messenger or the Stoneward don't pick a target, I will pick a target for them by RNG.

Being switched by the Willshapers doesn't change your actions or targets.

The Truthless can get ANY role I'm using. (There will be some roles that won't be available. I will tell you which roles are being excluded.)

Windrunner: Protects against Dustbringers and any kill except the reaction kills (Stoneward, Messenger.) If the Shardbearer attacks the Windrunner's target, only the Windrunner dies. If the Stoneward attacks the Windrunner's target, only the Stoneward's target dies. The Windrunner cannot protect against the Exile.

It is possible for a Dustbringer to win by dousing all the houses, undousing their own house, and lighting everything on fire. It takes a long time tho, and a few people would survive.

Being Silenced means you're not allowed to talk on the elim doc either.

If your action fails for any reason, you are not notified unless the action is a limited action (like executing.)

I will make it clear if someone is attacked and protected, dies to inactivity filter, is removed by exile, and how many kills they die to. The attacker/attacked/protector know no more than the thread knows.

You are not notified if your action is redirected. 

You are notified if your role is switched to a kill role, you are not notified if your role is switched away from a kill role.

Truthless is in the OoA right after the Exile.

Player list:

Spoiler
Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity

I'll sign up. Couple questions:

You're going to reveal who the elims are?

And I'm guessing the silencing doesn't count towards the inactivity filter. 

Don’t understand the rules at all but I guess that’s part of the Tani Chaotic Fun

Tramrat is in.

Edited by Matrim's Dice
I am gonna post a question list in a minute, don’t worry

Mat it's been more than a minute :P

And I forgot to say I'll play as Zara. 

As will be discussed more in the aftermath of the Anniversary Game, we have some proposed rule/policy changes. The ones immediately relevant to this game are:

More proactive mods, both posting every cycle or so to remind people that they're there and keeping a closer eye on things and reaching out in advance of problems.
Correspondingly, less pressure on GMs to mediate.

Further explanation will come in the AG aftermath thread. Any questions or concerns in the interim can be addressed to @little wilson, @Elbereth, @Devotary of Spontaneity, @Araris Valerian, or @Elandera.

Edited by Elbereth

1 hour ago, Experience said:

You're going to reveal who the elims are?

And I'm guessing the silencing doesn't count towards the inactivity filter.

No and no.

I'll tell you how many elims there are and how many are assassins, Shardbearers, and Highprinces. (there will very probably be no more than one shardbearer and one highprince. There will be multiple assassins.)

Definitely don't have time to play, but I'd like a spec doc link, please.

I'll sign up. I'm not going to read most of the rules I think. If I get time I will I guess.

In as McDaggers the Sneak. 

If someone claiming Lightweaver Squire reveals a dead person's alignment and role to the group, I will put that in the player list along with the will-revealed alignment and role

How seriously does the claim have to be made? If I jokingly say I'm a Lightweaver and TJ is a Ghostblood, but don't seriously stick to that statement, does that get entered into the record? What if I just say that to one person in a PM, does it get recorded? What if there's conflicting statements? 

Is elims being used as a catchall term for not village, or does it just mean Rebels? 

Some GMs issue public reminders about impending filter kills. I assume you won't do that so people can pretend to be Silenced? 

Can I make small helpful contributions in the service of a larger Deception? 

Ngl, this amount of actions scares me :P

Exile→ Skybreaker→ Willshaper→ Lightweaver→ Dusk → Skybreaker Squire, Lightweaver Squire, Elsecaller → Windrunner→ Assassin, Shardbearer→ Dustbringer→ Edgedancer→ Truthwatcher, Edgedancer Squire→ Highprince, Bondsmith→ Dawn → Skybreaker’s Execution, Stoneward kill, Messenger kill.

The Shardbearer pool will get reduced pretty quickly if there's problems with inactivity. Any chance you'll allow their team to put in the action on their behalf? 

but do know if the others’ role changes.

Are the Betrothed told in their shared PM or their personal ones of this? 

Sign me up, I hope like 30 people join to play this lmao

29 minutes ago, |TJ| said:

Post AG buzz.

I have now read the rules. Tani, you are officially insane. 

Ah what the heck, may as well. Sign me up as Ged, a darkeyed man who keeps twitching for some reason and no one can quite remember when he arrived in Urithiru.

This will be my first time playing Sanderson Elimination, but sign me up too! I'll be playing as Melindra.

Also, though I've played Mafia before this is still a little confusing, I'm sure I'll manage though!

3 hours ago, JungleFiend said:

This will be my first time playing Sanderson Elimination, but sign me up too! I'll be playing as Melindra.

Also, though I've played Mafia before this is still a little confusing, I'm sure I'll manage though!

Welcome to SE, friend! Have you had a chance to read any of the pinned threads for this forum? That might be helpful for getting started, though this is certainly a very complicated game to do as your first game. :P

Archer your questions are gonna be answered in the OP.

8 hours ago, |TJ| said:

me too

7 hours ago, The Unknown Aon said:

Post AG buzz.

I have now read the rules. Tani, you are officially insane. 

*evil laugh*

I didn't come up with most of it, I just decided to GM it here. This is my favorite version of Mafia.

Edited by Tani

I think I understand this a little bit.....but not enough. And things are busy right now. Do you think that mayyybe it's possible for there to be spectators?

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Welcome to SE, friend! Have you had a chance to read any of the pinned threads for this forum? That might be helpful for getting started, though this is certainly a very complicated game to do as your first game. :P

Yes, I have read some of the pinned threads, but I should probably do so again!

1 hour ago, Ed Venture said:

I think I understand this a little bit.....but not enough. And things are busy right now. Do you think that mayyybe it's possible for there to be spectators?

Um. Not sure exactly what a spectator is other than they have access to the dead doc.

In that case, yes. (Thanks, TUA!)

@Ed Venture and all you other low-energy/time/activity peeps: Really you only have to know how to play mafia or read the basic rules section to start. If you just want a default will, it’ll be the same as the “wills” in normal SE games. You don’t have to read all the roles, and you could definitely wait to read that for about a week - until I tell which roles are being used in the game.

I think.

Maybe.

Edited by Tani

Life hack: play every game like you have no role and no one else has any role and life will be perfectly fine

I mean this completely unironically

that all games should in theory be able to be played as if they are completely role-less unless it's a game where it's specifically not (ie...that one bard? game. you know the one. with all of the tineyes.)

8 hours ago, Illwei said:

Life hack: play every game like you have no role and no one else has any role and life will be perfectly fine

I mean this completely unironically

that all games should in theory be able to be played as if they are completely role-less unless it's a game where it's specifically not (ie...that one bard? game. you know the one. with all of the tineyes.)

In this game, everyone has a role.

Bwahahahaha!

You should play, Illwei. It'll be all sorts of fun!

Edited by Tani

7 hours ago, Tani said:

In this game, everyone has a role.

Bwahahahaha!

You should play, Illwei. It'll be all sorts of fun!

Right right

Don't let on that I'm going to be the one vanilla............

11 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Don't let on that I'm going to be the one vanilla

In this game there's only vanilla-ish elims. (They get to do stuff.) I apologize for the inconvenience.

Also: Does this mean you're playing? :)

Edited by Tani

If I were to pretend to be Silenced, would I be fulfilling the Deceive objective?

Edited by The Unknown Aon