Can Regular Unsealed Metalminds Allow Compounding?

Trusk'our

Question

The Bands of Mourning allow for this to work, but they’re a special case. From a meta viewpoint, it feels far too powerful an ability to just hand out. Even using Hemalurgy to gain access to compounding require sacrifice, but if you could gain that kind of power without the cost? Not only that, but if people can make these so that they have compounding available, then why would anyone make an Unsealed Metalmind that doesn’t allow compounding, since those abilities would be so superior to non-compounding abilities? So, would Unsealed Metalminds made from multiple people, the way they are typically made, just not allow this to work? Or are we just going to see a lot more compounding in the future?

6 answers to this question

To your first question.  We know of no reason why they cannot work this way.  In fact there exists some evidence that they do given the existence of large quantities of freely available feruchemical attributes on the southerner's ship.  The problem is that you cannot make use of multiple unsealed metalminds at the same time so you cannot freely compound multiple attributes simultaneously.

19 hours ago, Karger said:

To your first question.  We know of no reason why they cannot work this way.  In fact there exists some evidence that they do given the existence of large quantities of freely available feruchemical attributes on the southerner's ship.  The problem is that you cannot make use of multiple unsealed metalminds at the same time so you cannot freely compound multiple attributes simultaneously.

True, I suppose, but they could still compound a bunch of one attribute, then switch out medallions, then compound another attribute. When they need to use different powers in a more active situation, like combat, they can just use an Unsealed Metalmind that grants them the Feruchemical powers for the compounded attributes since the fuel has already been gathered. It's very possible I'm worrying about this too much, but compounding just feels like one of those McGuffin level powers to me, so it's a bit disconcerting to think that it might become commonplace.

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

True, I suppose, but they could still compound a bunch of one attribute, then switch out medallions, then compound another attribute. When they need to use different powers in a more active situation, like combat, they can just use an Unsealed Metalmind that grants them the Feruchemical powers for the compounded attributes since the fuel has already been gathered. It's very possible I'm worrying about this too much, but compounding just feels like one of those McGuffin level powers to me, so it's a bit disconcerting to think that it might become commonplace.

I definately think that the unsealed minds should allow for compounding.  We know it offers some stupid power levels for people but I think the key is that they need to know that it is possible and how to do it.  The vast majority of the population would hold the bands like Wayne did and have no idea what they were holding or heck even Wax with the coppermind.  Intent plays such a role in it all that gaining the knowledge of how only puts a gigantic target on your back.  If it wasn't for Miles being a gold compounder specifically I don't think we would have seen just how imbalanced it was.  Wax dang near killed Miles more times in Alloy of Law than he killed other people in other books combined.   The fight on the train he shot him in the face multiple times.  This isn't to say that other compounders aren't just as dangerous but I think Miles had the most benefit of any compounder as far as being an open compounder than we will see.  You don't just flaunt that you are the flash and not expect factions from all over the city be setting traps for you.  

There are only 2 compounders that society should be truly afraid of as far as I can think, iron and brass.  Both of which could end and entire city/planet with a single burst of power.  Both could easily be dealt with given a head shot or other instant kill.  

Steel / steel is spooky but the minute the world knows you have that power you are going to be taken out.

Compounding becoming more available will actually only boost the rate of Scadrials technology advancements and most likely there will be less antagonists anyways.  

Firearms are already a pretty big equalizer against the metallic arts and the more people with access to the metallic arts there are the better everyone will fare.  Organizations built around breeding programs and spiking powers from people will eventually fade.  

I do fear the potential "Civil War" route of legislating power in Scadrial.  All it really takes is one person with the right powers and the wrong mental illness and the planet could be destroyed.  

I'm not sure if we know this much about Unsealed Metalminds, and I'm having difficulty finding all of the confirmed info on them outside of the books. In reference to the Bands of Mourning allowing for Compounding, we only see Wax say that they can recharge them if they run out, which is not the same thing as a confirmation that they allow Compounding. Suit and his people hadn't figured out how to refill the heating medallions, which makes me wonder if this is a more general thing.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, Trusk'our said:

Thing is that any one or two feruchemical powers are pretty beatable as weaponry gets more advanced.  Additionally switching leaves you vulnerable like a video game boss. In short while it is a problem it is not unsolvable.

Southerners have very limited possibilities, if we talk about number and type of Metalborn. For example, we dont know how would Medalion work if it would be the Twinborn who is making them - as his Identity is not as Metalborn with one power, but with two. And 3 skilled Twinborn should be able to make Medalion with 6 powers. What is very resonable number.