Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trusk'our

Wait, Unsealed Metalminds are PERMANENT?!

6 posts in this topic

I was trying to find a quote for another thread I was making when I stumbled upon this. . .

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

So, one thing that I was thinking about was that Hemalurgy would still have an edge over Unsealed Metalmind tech in that you can get a spike, then use the power associated with it as long as you continue to have that spike; ran out of Feruchemical stores? No problem, just store some more. No more metal to burn? Just go grab some more; you're still an Allomancer because you've got that spike.

But now, is sounds like you may be able to not use up a Unsealed Metalmind's nicrosil power when you use it. Which is super, duper important, if you ask me.

Although, maybe I got this wrong. Maybe I'm extrapolating too much from this little quote. This is also probably not that world changing, but can someone please tell me I'm not crazy?

Edited by Trusk'our

We would have to find out what Excisors are and how exactly they work before we can fully determine how "overpowered" unsealed metalminds are. Because that might be, say, a bottleneck to mass production of medallions.

So like, I feel pretty strongly that you are descriptively correct about "unsealedness" being permanent (as in, about a medallion staying a functional medallion no matter how much it is used) but exactly how powerful that is relies on the specifics of other rungs in the medallion production process.

Because it might very well be the case that an unsealed metalmind is like a shardblade. In that it could go through tens of users and hundreds of years passing and still be a "functional" shardblade, but there's only so many shardblades that can exist, so there's no exponential power explosion.

Edited by CryoZenith
Typo, accidentally said extractors instead of excisors

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

I was trying to find a quote for another thread I was making when I stumbled upon this. . .

So, one thing that I was thinking about was that Hemalurgy would still have an edge over Unsealed Metalmind tech in that you can get a spike, then use the power associated with it as long as you continue to have that spike; ran out of Feruchemical stores? No problem, just store some more. No more metal to burn? Just go grab some more; you're still an Allomancer because you've got that spike.

But now, is sounds like you may be able to not use up a Unsealed Metalmind's nicrosil power when you use it. Which is super, duper important, if you ask me.

Although, maybe I got this wrong. Maybe I'm extrapolating too much from this little quote. This is also probably not that world changing, but can someone please tell me I'm not crazy?

Remember, memory in coppermind is slowly fading, if is uploaded/used. So if nicrosilmind works the same, it will also lose charge over time.

3 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Unsealed metalminds are real weird. You don't actually have to consciously tap or even know about the nicrosil portion for it to take effect, touching it just automatically grants the power. (The Bands of Mourning don't actually behave at all similarly to other medallions in... pretty much any regard, they seem a lot more just like normal metalminds anyone can use. My theory is that rather than being a 32-power medallion like people in-world think, they're just a one-power medallion that allows you to use Feruchamical nicrosil, and then a bunch of normal nicrosilminds.)

2 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Unsealed metalminds are real weird. You don't actually have to consciously tap or even know about the nicrosil portion for it to take effect, touching it just automatically grants the power. (The Bands of Mourning don't actually behave at all similarly to other medallions in... pretty much any regard, they seem a lot more just like normal metalminds anyone can use. My theory is that rather than being a 32-power medallion like people in-world think, they're just a one-power medallion that allows you to use Feruchamical nicrosil, and then a bunch of normal nicrosilminds.)

You think they're connected to a bunch of other metalminds like a... metalmind-net or metalmind-hive? Hmm... but they themselves were forged of many metals (which in seems weird, now that I think about it) and I think Wax or Marasi would've noticed the connection 

11 minutes ago, Honorless said:

You think they're connected to a bunch of other metalminds like a... metalmind-net or metalmind-hive? Hmm... but they themselves were forged of many metals (which in seems weird, now that I think about it) and I think Wax or Marasi would've noticed the connection 

More just that imo they're just a bunch of normal (but Identityless) metalminds attached to each other that you can tap at once, or something like that. Same way they have steel metalminds and such attached to the power-granting portion.