Brandon reading from Kingmaker: First of the Sun story

Honorless

50 minutes ago, Benkinsky said:

oh hell yeah. First of the sun is so cool, I would love this novel for sure!

Same! Brandon had said that he had two stories planned on First of the Sun:

1) Sixth of the Dusk sequel (for which we also got an advanced reading)

2) A YA book (this one, called Kingmaker)

(there's also the tentatively titled Dust Brigade set on Threnody about people going to try to reclaim the Homeland from the Evil. I'm really looking forward to that one!)

Yeah, Brandon had a novel for this in mind. That said, he also planned Silence Divine as a novel and has since decided that he'll probaby write it as a novella instead (if he ever figures out how to make it work - he seemed to have problems with the magic system). So who knows how he'll do it, if he ever gets to it.

Some things that I found noteworthy . . .

• I always imagined Kingmaker as a story about pre-Ones Above First of the Sun, since we haven't seen that yet, but now it's obvious that it's set around the same time as Sixth of the Dusk. I wonder if there's any kind of interaction between the two stories going on. Right now, I imagine it kind of like the relationship between Elantris and Emperor's Soul - same world, same time, but completely different places nonetheless and therefore largely separate.
  • Not much going on in terms of general Cosmere information. But it's cool to learn more about the cultures on First of the Sun - since Dusk is so removed from civilization, Sixth of the Dusk didn't offer much in that regard.
  • The omniscient narrator sure is different from what he usually does with his Cosmere works. It's a very different tone, but why not, I guess!
  • Brandon has really grown as a writer. This is a first draft and it's full with inventive analogies and is really entertaining to listen to from a writing/language perspective first and foremost. I also noticed this with Cytonic to a certain degree, he's really come a long way since, say, Elantris.
Edited by Elegy

On 14.1.2022 at 3:08 PM, Honorless said:

1) Sixth of the Dusk sequel (for which we also got an advanced reading)

2) A YA book (this one, called Kingmaker)

(there's also the tentatively titled Dust Brigade set on Threnody about people going to try to reclaim the Homeland from the Evil. I'm really looking forward to that one!)

Same. I'm excited for all of them.

I've read the teaser for the sequel, and it's already so much fun. And Kingmaker seems to be so, too. Although i really hope we'll get some Aviar action in Kingmaker.

And god, yes, Dust Brigade. Please. I love Threnody, and I'm so hyped to find out more about the Evil, how it connects to Ambition, if my theories about the future of Threnody are correct (cough Ghostbloods cough). More shades!