Marasi or Steris *AofL Spoilers*

Chaos

63 members have voted

1. 1. Marasi or Steris

• Marasi
    • Steris

Marasi. Both are highly intelligent, which is a massive plus in my eyes, but if put in modern terms Marasi would be a geek, which Steris falls under the "heavy nerd" category.

Note that I mean neither word as an insult. I often describe myself with both.

For me, or for Wax?

For me, it's a hard choice. Both have the intelligence, but Steris seems to have a rather large attitude that I find off-putting. Marasi on the other hand seems to be a bit on the self-deprecating side, and having done that before, it's not a path I'd want to go down again.

For Wax, I think Steris really is the best choice. She's going to be a good foundation in his city-life, and she has the benefit of getting the contract that would keep his house solvent. She has a skillset he lacks, and house marriages are often more political than socially based. If he was heading back into the Roughs, Marasi would be the choice.

For me, or for Wax?

For me, it's a hard choice. Both have the intelligence, but Steris seems to have a rather large attitude that I find off-putting. Marasi on the other hand seems to be a bit on the self-deprecating side, and having done that before, it's not a path I'd want to go down again.

For Wax, I think Steris really is the best choice. She's going to be a good foundation in his city-life, and she has the benefit of getting the contract that would keep his house solvent. She has a skillset he lacks, and house marriages are often more political than socially based. If he was heading back into the Roughs, Marasi would be the choice.

Darn you for having perfectly rational explanations for why Steris is better for Wax! Marasi for life.

Darn you for having perfectly rational explanations for why Steris is better for Wax! Marasi for life.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be happier with Marasi. They seem to have more in common, and I think Wax is more attracted to her than to Steris "affairs are in the contract" Harms. But Steris is the better choice for him as the head of the Ladrian House. Especially since most of his close relatives are at least legally dead. Succession is still important.

My vote is for Steris. Throughout the book, all the stuff with Wax and Marasi made me go, "Really? Wax is going to beat the bad guy, save the day, AND get the younger, attractive, smart girl who is also a sniper?" It's not Steris's fault that she is the way she is, and I really respect her for admitting her faults at the end. It couldn't have been easy growing up that level of social awkwardness among the noble elite. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Marasi, but Wax is correct, he and Marasi are at very different stages in life. Their interaction over this two day span might be convincing, but keep in mind, Marasi is just finishing law school. She has her whole life ahead of her to be awesome. Her affection for Wax is really more of a fan-girl crush than a real romantic attraction. With her idealized view of Wax and his unintentionally patronizing attitude towards her (she is twenty years his junior... when I'm 45, I'm probably going to be patronizing a lot of twenty year olds) would make any long lasting romance between them fall flat, in my opinion.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying that romances with significant age differences don't work. I know of several that have. I'm just saying that, as things are, if Marasi and Wax began a relationship, it wouldn't be on equal footing. He'd always be the experienced hero who wouldn't be able to fully joy Marasi's excitement as she grows up because he's been through it before, and Marasi would always hold Wax a little above herself, and not see him as an equal.

Steris and Wax might have problems, but I see a mutual respect there that could lead to something real. Whatever happens, their relationship feels more real to me than an idealized one between him and Marasi would.

That's my two cents :D

did someone say cake?! ..... oh :(

:P

also, I think the contract will either do them good, or force them apart. I'm leaning on it doing them good, there's lots of potential for it. And if their friendship with Marasi survives, even better :D

Was it Hamlet or Othello?

And my comment about the cake was more along the lines of the "mistress clause" that Steris wrote. Theoretically, Wax could use that clause with Marasi, but honestly, I kinda doubt he'd make use of that clause at all. What little we've seen of him, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd want a mistress.

And my comment about the cake was more along the lines of the "mistress clause" that Steris wrote. Theoretically, Wax could use that clause with Marasi, but honestly, I kinda doubt he'd make use of that clause at all. What little we've seen of him, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd want a mistress.

Othello, thanks for the catch (I knew what I meant, lol)

Yeah, I understood your meaning, I was just changing the subject by eating cake :P

I've been a fan of Steris since the sample chapters, and even back then I came to the same conclusion Wax did about Marasi. In some ways, Marasi is too much like Lessie. Add that to Wayne's commentary about people constantly changing, especially if they move somewhere else, and I think that Wax himself has changed too much for another Lessie.

I only wish Steris had gotten some more screentime. She needs the occasional opportunity to have some fun.