Conlang Creation Discord

Sherlock Holmes

Hello, this is AxeliustheGreat, someone who hasn't been active here in a while. If you remember me, you'll remember me for my characters in the Alleyverse. I'm here to advertise a constructed language creation discord I'll be making, because I'm making a language and I will lose my mind if I continue to have no one to share it with. 

If you're in the process of making a conlang, want to make one, or have no clue what I'm talking about and am curious, then click the link below or DM me and I'll send it to you. 

I wish you all good writing and good fortune.

https://discord.gg/2KR2fj7gEn

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice to meet you too! I basically lived on this site like three/four years ago. If you do worldbuilding or fantasy writing in general, we could have a lot to talk about. I recently finished the first draft of my first book and am doing the second draft at the moment.

my good man, i am in the process of writing up the first draft of my first book. it's the first in a trilogy, and is high fantasy. i've done worldbuilding, magic system creation, and it's part of a connected universe as well.

you already finished your first draft, so i applaud you. good job!!

ooooo.

that's more extensive than what I've done. I have mostly what the place looks like, basic cultural and scientific beliefs, but I really need to go in depth on that before I finish the first draft.

thats really cool though, you've really thought this through.

oh sheee- 5 years yeah thats a long time.

i've had my worldbuilding for mmmmmmmmm almost 6-7 months?? not long at all...

i've made two posts, one about the trilogy, and another about the connected universe it's a part of.

this is the connected universe link

and this;

is the trilogy page.

i will direct you here to explore.

make my way through each book, one by one.

then publish it using lulu.com. very good website, i have already published with them before.

after the trilogy, maybe more books in that universe, but idk yet.

Thanks for reading them through, glad you found them interesting!

you should post ab your world! people here love worldbuilding like a lot :P

nah, i feel that. I've been writing for 6 months, and I only have prologue and chapter 1. last time i wrote a book it was 23k words, and that was a small fanfic i wrote lmao.

idk how many words i want it to be.... but i know how i want the plot to go (mostly) so I guess we'll see how it goes from there.

oh yes, I know how that feels. I was not expecting my fanfic thing to exceed 75 pages, and I organized the rubric (it was for a school project) to have the max pages be between 50-100 pages.

max pages when finished? 117.

was not expecting that. so yeah, I'm not making estimates until i have a full outline for book one at least.

For me, I made each doc of the book fifty pages long, and described what generally happened in each set of fifty pages, assuming the total was five hundred pages. This was incomplete, since the final was six hundred and fifty pages, but much of the content stayed the same. Even still, I came up with a lot of stuff while writing. 

oh yeah, what i thought i was gonna write was nearly doubled by what i came up with during the writing process itself.

when i was writing the prologue, i was thinking through the main character cause i knew we were gonna meet him soon, and i was like "usually the main character can use the magic system.... but what if he DOESNT? what if it's his best friend/future love interest hmmm???"

I went with a weird route with my magic. There's almost no one who can use it and most of its effects on the world fit in pretty naturally with geology and biology, so it's hard to tell what has and hasn't been magically affected. There is a certain ethnicity of people with a pseudo-magical ability, but this ability is pretty weak and rarely discussed or taken much advantage of. 

Talanthir has a population of about 17,600,000 and maybe two million of those people are capable of using the magic, but the vast majority are very weak with it. One's skill with it depends on the amount of time you've spent honing it, which is mostly done through meditation and focus; someone who is good with this magic will rarely be a warrior but will instead choose to use it for intellectual or healing purposes. It makes its users especially aware of other people's pain, even those who are very weak with it, so just being someone who technically can use it can be debilitating in battle.