[Spoilers] Finished Hero of Ages - Unanswered Questions!!

Leviathan

So. Finally finished the series yesterday.

Quite enjoyed it, I did predict quite a few of the bits and pieces (Vin's earring, Preservation & Ruin needing to meet/negate/merge/something, the mists trying to turn people into Allomancers, etc) but still plenty of surprised (SazedTan anyone? ;) and a lot of fun.

However

Unanswered Questions abound!

What happened to the Kandra? Did they get returned to sentience or does the whole species just get to commit suicide and be forgotten?

What about Marsh? He sacrificed more than any other member of the crew, we had the huge buildup about him "holding a piece of himself back" from Ruin, and we didn't even get to find out if he died or not :(

Quite enjoyable finale tarnished by lack of information.

Brandon said Marsh is alive, and will appear in the second Mistborn trilogy, and somebody (maybe Sazed) stuck the spikes back into the kandra after everything was over.

Clearly I should have gone archive-digging before posting :)

Still, considering the rest of the series and how intricately everything was setup, I was quite surprised that there wasn't even a passing mention of these bits at the end of the book.

Clearly I should have gone archive-digging before posting :)

Still, considering the rest of the series and how intricately everything was setup, I was quite surprised that there wasn't even a passing mention of these bits at the end of the book.

Ah, but those are the burning questions that underly the next book(s) in the series! ;)

As far as Marsh goes, I think out of all the characters, he needed the most rest. Telling the others that he was still alive might have been uncomfortable, at best. (Especially since almost everyone Marsh really cared about is dead.) I think Marsh might need some soul searching time alone...

Also, in case you are curious about the Koloss:

Sazed apparently made them a separate race that breeds true, with no spikes required.

Now you get to read the annotations and reread the books. Then you can start spouting ideas like the rest of us!

I'm also of the opinion that the kandra are the faceless immortals mentioned in the AoL broadsheet.

I'm pretty sure we can take this as fact. It seems pretty clear to me that that is who they are (since they really are faceless and can't die of old age, they fit the bill pretty well I think).

I also think it's pretty much certain that Marsh is iron-eyes (that's his nickname even pre Final Empire), though you can feel free to dispute that 'theory' if you wish.

• Chaos locked this topic