Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trusk'our

Gemstones as Allomantic Storages?

Question

Following up on the idea I had about using perfect gemstones as Feruchemical storages, could they also be used as Allomantic storages? If an allomancer were to draw out their investiture via raysium, and store it in a gemstone, perfect or flawed, could they then breathe it in as Vin did with the mists?

Would it be keyed to their Identity?

Unlike a surgebinder, when an allomancer gets investiture into their system, it gets immediately turned into kinetic investiture. Would that stay true if they used gemstones? Would they be able to hold it in their body as a surgebinder does, and gain certain passive benefits? If not, then it would likely act as a kind of miniature duralumin burn, as they would be able to draw in lots of investiture that would immediately be used, only it would have more control, since it would only enhance that one ability and not all the other metals they were burning.

3 answers to this question

It must be possible.
I think more is revealed on the matter in future Stormlight books.

Posted (edited)

Hmm... Allomancers draw Investiture from Preservation / Harmony directly via metals, not from the Mists, at least, not typically. You'll have to give them the ability somehow.

Maybe a better idea for mechanical Allomancy?

Edited by Honorless

I'm skeptical. This idea blends the magic systems enough, and in ways we haven't seen, that I think we're talking about apples and oranges. Surely some interconversions of Investiture across systems is possible (we know that for a fact, in at least some cases), but the mechanisms for accessing and using it aren't clearly just a blending of whatever details exist for each system. When Zahel draws Stormlight from Highstorms it doesn't seem like he needs any of the typical Nalthian steps to get and subsist on it. We also don't know if he can use that Investiture for Awakening, or for anything other than surviving.

So I doubt that a Scadrian magic-user would be able to breathe in Investiture from a gemstone, even if that Investiture were removed from them via Raysium. Breathing in Stormlight seems specific to Rosharan magic and totally alien to Scadrial. Vin didn't breathe in the mists like Radiants breathe in Stormlight, she drew on them supernaturally, and the mists are very different from Stormlight in key ways. I also doubt that storing Allomantic or Feruchemical power in a gemstone would grant passive benefits to the Allomancer/Feruchemist-- those powers don't work that way.

We're definitely going to see more ways that Investiture gets moved around and converted between magic systems going forward, and will learn a lot more about what's possible. This idea could be in the mix, my doubts aside. I definitely believe it would be possible to store an Allomancer's Investiture through some mechanism like what you describe. But it seems really impractical, requiring lots of rare materials and significant setup, when you could just carry more metals rather than gemstones. So if we see this in practice at all, maybe it would just be an R&D scenario, or exposition describing that it (and so similar things as well) are possible.