Perfect Gemstones as Feruchemical Storages?

Trusk'our

Question

Perfect gemstones can hold a larger amount of stormlight than a regular, flawed gemstone. Could they also potentially be used to hold a larger amount of a Feruchemical charge than a metalmind? A Feruchemist could prick themselves with a raysium knife while tapping a metalmind, then use this as a way to store their investiture within a perfect gemstone instead of a piece of metal. Would they be able to tap the gemstone? Could they breathe in the investiture, like a surgebinder? Or would it be even more difficult to retrieve it than what their magic system normally allows?

5 answers to this question

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but doesn't Raysium actively draw the investiture out of it's target? So the Feruchemist doing so would have to be very careful to make sure that all of their physical strength(assuming pewter) isn't drawn out at once, leaving them too weak to move the device away from them. Or in the case of steel, leaving them too slow to do so before their investiture was sapped out completely and they were (possibly?) killed. I don't remember any indication that Raysium has a  multiplicative effect on the investiture that they transport, so the end result would still be end-neutral.

Also, a small nitpick: gemstone quality doesn't effect how much investiture a gem can hold, size does that. The quality of the gemstone effects how quickly the gem leaks out that investiture, if at all. There are gemstones in universe that are so perfect as to hold stormlight effectively forever. (The King's drop, the voidlight sphere that Gavilar gave to Zseth, etc)

Hope this helps!

Edit: typos and clarity

Edited by stonehand

On 6/17/2022 at 10:26 AM, stonehand said:

Also, a small nitpick: gemstone quality doesn't effect how much investiture a gem can hold, size does that.

A perfect gemstone can hold more Investiture than a non-perfect gemstone. Rhythm of War chapter 87 informs us of this (also, this can be seen in the Coppermind Wiki).

On 6/17/2022 at 2:48 PM, Honorless said:

Raysium might be able to transfer Investiture from metalminds with the correct Tone. I don't think simply transferring the Investiture into a sphere is going to allow a Feruchemist to inhale it, I think that is more likely to make it inaccessible.

I suppose that would make sense, as the metal acts as a focus for the magic as well as a storage.