Trusk'our

Forgery hacking Feruchemy?

Question

Could you create a Soulstamp on a Feruchemically viable piece of metal to create a Feruchemical charge for it, but that you didn’t need to store? You likely wouldn’t be able to get much of a charge out of it at once, but you could probably reapply the stamp after you drained it. Perhaps you could even move the Feruchemical charge out of the metalmind and into another, then reapply the stamp on the original metalmind, then continue to merge that investiture granted by the stamp with the other metalmind you’ve stored the forged Feruchemical charges in, allowing you to store the investiture for later use.

4 answers to this question

Well, first you'd have to be a feruchemist born in MaiPon on Sel, as only people born there, or with a bloodline connection to the area, can be forgers. Even so, this seems unlikely to me. We know that forging takes relatively little investiture, and is unable to effect other even lightly invested objects. So, let's assume the metalmind is empty. A soulstamp will only hold if the lie is plausible. You have to convince the object that this thing has happened to it. So, we will also assume that you've used this metal mind before, but it is now drained completely.

With all this, we finally get to the main issue: where does the extra investiture you want to put into the metalmind come from?

I could lie to a person and say that I poured water into their cup. I could even convince them that they were with me at the well earlier, and that's where I got the water. All of that breaks if the person looks into their cup, because it would still be empty.

I do love a good attempt at power hacking, though.

Posted (edited)

On 6/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, Zidafer said:

Well, first you'd have to be a feruchemist born in MaiPon on Sel, as only people born there, or with a bloodline connection to the area, can be forgers. Even so, this seems unlikely to me. We know that forging takes relatively little investiture, and is unable to effect other even lightly invested objects. So, let's assume the metalmind is empty. A soulstamp will only hold if the lie is plausible. You have to convince the object that this thing has happened to it. So, we will also assume that you've used this metal mind before, but it is now drained completely.

With all this, we finally get to the main issue: where does the extra investiture you want to put into the metalmind come from?

I was thinking that you, as a Feruchemist who was willing to travel to Sel for free Investiture, would use an old Metalmind that you had tapped clean, as you suggested, but then you would get a Forger to create a Soulstamp that would rewrite the Metalmind's past to say that you hadn't tapped it. Then you would attempt to take the new, free charge of Investiture out of the Forged Metalmind and transfer it to another Metalmind so that you could store the Investiture for later use and maybe even reapply the Soulstamp on the once again empty Metalmind so that you can repeat he process and continue to fuel your Feruchemy with he Dor.

Edited by Trusk'our

What you’re proposing sounds like it’s essentially Selish Compounding, using other magics to access an external source of Investiture (specifically the body of the Shard being drawn from with the other magic) to fuel Feruchemy. I think it would maybe be possible to “compound” using Forgery, but it would probably be easier to externally fuel Feruchemy with the Dor using AonDor, considering the sheer amount of investiture accessed with AonDor is much larger than that of a soulstamp (I think). 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, Stormblessed0421 said:

What you’re proposing sounds like it’s essentially Selish Compounding, using other magics to access an external source of Investiture (specifically the body of the Shard being drawn from with the other magic) to fuel Feruchemy. I think it would maybe be possible to “compound” using Forgery, but it would probably be easier to externally fuel Feruchemy with the Dor using AonDor, considering the sheer amount of investiture accessed with AonDor is much larger than that of a soulstamp (I think). 

Aon Dor would almost certainly be able to better fuel Feruchemical powers due to more Investiture being readily available in that system, but I can't think of any specific mechanics of how to achieve that end result. 

As a side note, that's why I don't like Aon Dor. It can do basically anything (which is too overpowered to be interesting in my mind), but I can't ever seem to find a way to utilize it other than "I write the correct Aon", which means I can't really use it in most thought experiments.