Hemalurgy hacking Ashyn's magic system

Trusk'our

Question

There’s a WoB that talks about the magic system on Ashyn, saying that it works via contracting certain types of invested diseases, then the disease granting the infected individual powers.

Questioner

So I was reading that one of the worlds, I think it was Yolen, is going to be a disease oriented magic?

Brandon Sanderson

It's not Yolen, it's Ashyn...

Questioner

How does that work?

Brandon Sanderson

Viruses and bacteria, various strains of them, have evolved in-line with the investiture on the planet to grant you a magical ability when you catch the disease, because they want you to stay alive long enough to--

Questioner

To transmit it.

Brandon Sanderson

--o transmit it. So it becomes part of the transmission vector. So you have superpowers or whatever-- You can fly as long as you have the common cold, but when you get over it, you can't anymore.

If you could Hemalurgically spike out the power from one of these diseased individuals, then grant it to yourself, could you side-step the part where you need to suffer an illness, since you now have the investiture that grants the power, but without the disease to go with it?

1 answer to this question

Yup, I think it's likely, but it might take a weird metal and Intent.  The infection is providing the Bridge though the Physical World, so I think the Hemalurgy could provide the same and lock it in place, much like how it could take the fake spiritweb of a Forged allomancer and lock it in place.

I think it would be similar but simpler than using Hemalurgy to Spike an Aviar's power.  The infection is not sapient enough to make any choices about the Bond they have with the person.  But with an Aviar you could theoretically spike the Person, the Bird, or the Worm in the bird in an attempt to steal the Power, with likely with wildly different metals and Mental Images involved. 

Edited by Quantus