Alloy of Law Reactions *spoilers*

Chaos

Guest Jacob Santos
That being said... the Constable makes a pretty decent case too. Kandra working for Sazed who wants Wax involved with the law enforcement in town. But there might be something else going on with the Constable, some bribe or even his own religious affiliation. He has a slight lead on Steris, but she is still plausible.

The reason this book catches a lot of flack is because of it's super generic plot. Cargo theft and kidnapping in the old west? Right out of the book. I loved the characters, but Wax being a retired lawman with a haunted past isn't exactly original. However I do believe Sanderson does this on purpose. This was suppose to connect two trilogies over an extended time skip. To keep the change more subtle and easy to follow he kept a generic plot and let the fireworks show with his character development and awesome metal magic tweaks. It makes sense, but this seems to be where he loses a lot of support. I understand it but it didn't appeal to the masses.

There's more here to discuss, but I need to read it one more time.

I believe Brandon has already revealed (or was it his assistant?) that it was in fact the constable that was turned into a Kandra.

I think it is somewhat funny. Mistborn was an inherit subversion of tropes and Alloy of Law was not, it was as predictable as possible. What made it fun was the fact that it had magic combined with gun slinging.

Alcatraz annotations next. The first and last couple Alloy annotations aren't written. Brandon will probably write Way of Kings annotations during his reread.

So hopefully Brandon will write the rest of the Alloy annotations while the Alcatraz ones are coming out. Does anyone know how many chapters Alcatraz is long? I really want to get to Alloy and the Way of Kings annotations as soon as possible.

Edited by Windrunner

Finished this yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about random ways to kill off Miles, and honestly it wouldn't be all that hard if you managed a specific lucky shot. I'm pretty sure that if you, for get, stuck a knife in his neck such that is severed the spine, and left it in there, he'd be stuffed. Sure he could stay alive, but he's still a quadriplegic and you can then go about removing his Goldminds ;)

Also, like a couple of other people have noted I do like the fact that Marasi is a feminine girl who loves her creature-comforts who can still be damned handy and useful, rather than a gung-ho warrior like Vin.

Just my two coppers on the Kandra debate, I've thought from that scene where the Butler tries to kill Wax that the butler was replaced. Wayne notes afterwards that "The tea wasn't even very good", considering the butler's previous comments and expertise involving tea it makes me think that when the Uncle tried to get him to kill Wax, the real butler refused and so was eaten by a Kandra to carry through the plot.

Guest Jacob Santos

Finished this yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about random ways to kill off Miles, and honestly it wouldn't be all that hard if you managed a specific lucky shot. I'm pretty sure that if you, for get, stuck a knife in his neck such that is severed the spine, and left it in there, he'd be stuffed. Sure he could stay alive, but he's still a quadriplegic and you can then go about removing his Goldminds ;)

Also, like a couple of other people have noted I do like the fact that Marasi is a feminine girl who loves her creature-comforts who can still be damned handy and useful, rather than a gung-ho warrior like Vin.

Just my two coppers on the Kandra debate, I've thought from that scene where the Butler tries to kill Wax that the butler was replaced. Wayne notes afterwards that "The tea wasn't even very good", considering the butler's previous comments and expertise involving tea it makes me think that when the Uncle tried to get him to kill Wax, the real butler refused and so was eaten by a Kandra to carry through the plot.

Poison usually has the bitter taste of, "Oh dear god, I'm going to die," so I think he was rather biased at that point.

So hopefully Brandon will write the rest of the Alloy annotations while the Alcatraz ones are coming out. Does anyone know how many chapters Alcatraz is long? I really want to get to Alloy and the Way of Kings annotations as soon as possible.

It's going to be a LONG time. As in if we're doing one a week, for the 20ish chapters or so plus title pages and acknowledgments and two annotations per chapter, that comes out to about 25-30 annotations each for the four books. That means about 2 years till we get to Alloy of Law and then another half year till we get to Way of Kings. So there's a good chance we'll get the second Way of Kings book before the Way of Kings annotations.

As to the rest, the Constable is TenSoon, the Faceless that gives Miles Wax the earring is MeLaan, insta-poison usually tastes horrible,

Brandon has said some things about Alloy of Law before. I'll edit this post to put down what he said after school.

EDIT- changed Miles to Wax.

While this one was a nice read. It just does not live up to the promise of the original trilogy. A mistborn book where there are no longer any mistborn? I can believe that they would be much rarer, but no longer even being possible just doesn't seem right. Mistborn were still being born over 1000 years after the orginal Mistborn, yet 300 years made them completely extinct?

I did like Marasi. She is much better than the powder puff Breeze fell in love with.

Wax and Wayne do make a good pairing.

The scene where Wayne inverviews the inmate does hint that there are still obligators around, they just call them something else now. He said all he had to do was get him in a room and have the parties agree. That sounds much like an obligator to me. There not being one in the room during the marriage contract discussion is pretty simple to explain away. You would not want to trouble one without first getting agreement on the basic principles from both sides.

I did like the western meets pseudo modern aspect of the book. It seemed a lot like the movie Big Jake where the frontier meets modern. Wax in particularly should like the next books. Semi-auto guns should be around by then. Having the gunsmith develop ceramic guns would be great too. They would be completely inert to allomancy and immune to early metal detectors.

It would be fitting if the earring Wax was given was the one Vin used to have. Harmony would have had a very good reason for keeping track of that, and he did essentially put Wax into the same role Vin used to play.

I don't know but I think I could buy there being no more Mistborn. It sounds like at the end of Hero of Ages the only Mistborn left was Spook and other Mistings were only half-skaa or lesser noblemen. It's a bit of a stretch but I don't think it's impossible. Merely improbable.

As for there still being obligators around, I would very much agree. If only because they still use things like "Canton of Cartography" and the like. I doubt they have eye tattoos and do not shave their heads. They probably aren't even called obligators but I'm sure they have something that serves a similar function.

Well, Spook was the only mistborn that was specifically mentioned. Then again, Zane was kept quiet for his entire life; Shan was a surprise even to Elend. There was no mention of any of the mist-snapped being mistborn, but I wouldn't be surprised, even if that is a MAJOR stretch. The way allomancy skips generations leaves open the possibilities. Cett wasn't an allomancer, but Allriane was. They traced the girls all the way back to Spook, so we definately know that Spook had children. Still, it is Sanderson's book. If he says no more mistborn, there are no more mistborn. Of course, we do not have to buy the books or request that our library get them either.

I will admit that I did go into this book not liking what happend with Vin and Elend. That may have tainted my view of this book. Still, I have read Elantris, Mistborn, and Warbreaker multiple times each. The only thing keeping TWOK from that is its immense size. Those are all great works. I just do not know if the Mistborn series is going down a path I want to follow.

Did Brandon actually say that there are no living Mistborn during Alloy of Law, though? I mean, him speaking in an interview or some such, as the author, not in the book. Because characters can be wrong about things in their world, so I'd say there's a possibility of there still being Mistborn, but they're simply well-hidden. But, honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether there's full Mistborn or not, really. XD

There will be more Mistborn at some point, certainly. It's unclear whether any are alive during Alloy of Law, but he has revealed that the first book of the second Mistborn trilogy will be in an essentially "modern" setting, with a Misting SWAT team hutning down a Mistborn serial killer.

Aethling, I would advise you not to judge the future of the Mistborn series from Alloy of Law. It is, by Brandon Sanderson's admission, a much simpler, sillier, and less deep book, written to keep Scadrial in the minds of both himself and the public while he's dedicating most of his attention to Wheel of Time and the first half of the Stormlight Archive. If that's not for you, that's fine - it's a pretty radical tonal shift from the original trilogy, in many ways.

However, in several years, he'll begin work on a true sequel trilogy to the first three Mistborn books, which he says will be just as serious and thoughtful as they were, and is confirmed to have at least one full Mistborn in it, maybe more. If Alloy just isn't for you, you may be best served to ignore it and its (possible) sequels, and wait for that.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. I, for the record, think a Mistborn book without any Mistborn is my favorite thing he's done with one of his magic systems yet, as the interactions of the MANY Twinborn combinations are utterly fascinating.

This quote seems to suggest that the deflection out of the bubble was at least 30-40 degrees, otherwise it would have deflected up towards the top of the wall, instead of towards the ceiling. There is also no mention of it deflecting on entry, and a 40 degree deflection (in any direction, an 80 degree arc) would mean that nearly all of the bubble would be in danger of being hit.

Just one question, I'm kind of not understanding what you're saying here, but couldn't the bullet deflect twice, once entering and once leaving? If you say that it has to deflect 40 degrees, then couldn't it have deflected 20 degrees when entering and 20 degrees when exiting. I'm sorry if you adressed this and I missed it, geometry isn't exactly one of my strengths.:D

EDIT: This suggests that bubbles are not deflected by entering cadmium bubbles, though it may be that they could just shoot enough to get lucky once.

Yeah I think that's what Brandon met. This hypothetical guy has hours to shoot into there, not to mention a rotary gun that would be prepared incredibly fast compared to people in a cadmium bubble. They wouldn't have stood a chance, even with deflection. And he doesn't have to worry about hitting Miles, because with his goldminds, that guy is practically invincible.

There was an in story comment about Mistborn being mythical beings. I read it somewhere on Brandonthology that there would be no more mistborn. He could change his mind about that though.

There's going to be at least one Mistborn in the Second Trilogy, a serial killer that a SWAT Team of Mistings is trying to take down, Whether this Mistborn is made through Hemalurgy, or he was born one is still unknown. Also there is still "at least one more" bead of Lerasium out there somewhere.

Hopefully, that will come to pass with the second trilogy. Alloy in itself was a good read, it just didn't live up to his normal standards to me. The twinborn combos were nice, but imagine the end fight with Wax being a full mistborn. Mistborn ferumchemist would harken too much of TLR though.

• 3 weeks later...

There's going to be at least one Mistborn in the Second Trilogy, a serial killer that a SWAT Team of Mistings is trying to take down, Whether this Mistborn is made through Hemalurgy, or he was born one is still unknown. Also there is still "at least one more" bead of Lerasium out there somewhere.

Where did you find this out?

Mistborn Swat Team

CHRISTINA

My question: What exactly does the Mistborn sequel series entail?

BRANDON SANDERSON (GOODREADS)

Several hundred years after the original trilogy—Spoiler alert!—Wait, aren't these questions supposed to be about Warbreaker?

Anyway, the Mistborn sequel trilogy, as I've said before, takes place in a more technologically advanced version of the world, several hundred years later. They've progressed beyond steam technology to combustion engine technology, are building skyscrapers ;mdash; that level of technology. It will follow the exploits of a team of Allomancers who are kind of like an Allomantic SWAT team, a group of hybrid mercenary/deputized individuals who are brought in by the police to take out Allomancer criminals. The first book will deal with when they are called in to deal with a Mistborn serial killer. That's how it starts. It will go bizarre from there, of course, but think guns, cars, skyscrapers, and Allomancers.

FOOTNOTE

This trilogy that he's talking about is after the Alloy of Law.

Goodreads Fantasy Book Discussion Warbreaker Q&A

And other Lerasium Bead is stated by Peter here in the TWG Archives.

Any other questions?

Edited by Windrunner

Mistborn Swat Team

And other Lerasium Bead is stated by Peter here in the TWG Archives.

Any other questions?

I don't think that the Lerasium bead will show up in Mistborn. I think that Hoid is gathering pieces of the shards for some larger purpose.

My pet theory is that the kidnapped women in AoL are part of an effort to breed a new mistborn.

I don't think that the Lerasium bead will show up in Mistborn. I think that Hoid is gathering pieces of the shards for some larger purpose.

My pet theory is that the kidnapped women in AoL are part of an effort to breed a new mistborn.

I wouldn't really call that a pet theory, the book only comes a little bit short of stating that explicitly.

• 1 month later...