Questions about natural Connection

Trusk'our

Question

How do Connections naturally form? Is it just through interaction? Does the amount of time spent with a person or object increase your Connection to that thing?

For example, lets say I'm a soldier and have two swords. The first sword I use all the time and take extra good care of because it was given to me as a gift by my friend before I left for war. The second was given to me as part of my standard equipment for being a soldier, but I hardly ever use it, and only spend minimal time upkeeping it, just enough to keep my superiors off my back.

So would the first sword have a stronger Connection to me because I interact with it more, and because it has greater emotional value to me?

We see in RoW that Odium grows stronger in Connection to multiple people (i.e., Taravangian, Moash, and Dalinar), even though not all of them exemplify his Intent. Is this because they interact more, and because Odium spares more of his attention for them?

1 answer to this question

From what we've seen, a person in the Cosmere is naturally Connected to the resident Shard(s), if there are multiple Shards, they are Connected to the one whose Investiture they use and whose Intent they're more aligned with.

They are also Connected to the land they're born in and live in. And they're Connected to their loved ones.

It seems Fortune is also involved somehow as people who've not yet met can also have a bit of Connection.

Connection seems to be a force in the Cosmere signifying relation and affinity. Yes, interaction and amount of time spent seems to increase Connection (greater Connection to people close to you). Greater emotional value would mean stronger Connection.

How something is perceived seems to be a part of its Connections, and that seems to be how a Bondsmith's power of repairing inanimate objects works. So, yes Connections should work in a similar manner for people and objects.

Edited by Honorless
grammar