WhiteEmporer

More than three Bondsmiths?

32 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Frustration said:

Which is why none of the Unmade can form Bondsmiths

Historically, yeah.

But with Sja-anat no longer working for Odium...

Also, are the Unmade actually Odium's spren (i.e. Splinters of Odium) or are they native Rosharan spren (either of Adonalsium or Honor/Cultivation) corrupted or Unmade by Odium?

If the latter is true, it might not be any more of a problem than bonding an Enlightened/corrupted spren like Glys.

If they are actually Odium's Investiture, it might take Bondsmith shenanigans to make work, or might be possible now that Odium's tone is one of Roshar's pure tones.

...Hmm, if Odium is actually invested in Roshar now, does that mean potentially 7 Bondsmith spren?

Honor = Stormfather

Cultivation = Nightwatcher

Honor+Cultivation = Sibling

Odium =  ? (Ba-ado-Mishram???)

Honor+Odium = ?

Cultivation + Odium = ?

Honor+Cultivation+Odium =? (Sja-anat maybe?)

1 minute ago, cometaryorbit said:

Historically, yeah.

But with Sja-anat no longer working for Odium...

Shouldn't change anything.

Also, are the Unmade actually Odium's spren (i.e. Splinters of Odium) or are they native Rosharan spren (either of Adonalsium or Honor/Cultivation) corrupted or Unmade by Odium?

They were something before becoming Unmade, we know that much.

2 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

If the latter is true, it might not be any more of a problem than bonding an Enlightened/corrupted spren like Glys.

Still wouldn't make their bondmate a Bondsmith.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Shouldn't change anything.

They were something before becoming Unmade, we know that much.

Still wouldn't make their bondmate a Bondsmith.

I don't think we know enough about what makes a spren a Bondsmith spren to say that.

What do the Stormfather, the Sibling, and the Nightwatcher share with each other that they don't share with Cusicesh?

There's a WoB that it's more than just quantity of Investiture, but what? It seems the KR orders were mostly set up by the spren and humans themselves, not the Shards, so I don't think it was Honor's decision.

Ishar was involved in creating the KR Orders, so maybe he used the Bondsmith Honorblade to create the right Connections, in which case Sja-anat couldn't do it on her own, but Navani or Dalinar to set it up.

Maybe it's kind of just a natural result of those Shards being Invested in the world and those spren being their 'representatives', in which case Odium becoming Invested in Roshar might have opened up new Bondsmith Spren "jobs" that no appropriate spren has tried to fill yet. But the Unmade might not fit, if they are just corrupted "native " spren vs Odium or Odium + Honor and/or Cultivation spren.

I don't think we know enough about what makes a spren a Bondsmith spren to say that.

Considering Brandon himself says that therre is no Bondsmith equivelent among the Unmade I think we can.

What do the Stormfather, the Sibling, and the Nightwatcher share with each other that they don't share with Cusicesh?

An affinity with a specific Shard in the same way as Shard metals

2 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

Ishar was involved in creating the KR Orders, so maybe he used the Bondsmith Honorblade to create the right Connections, in which case Sja-anat couldn't do it on her own, but Navani or Dalinar to set it up.

Considering Ishar was also caught off guard, and had severly limited powers at the time I highly doubt that.

3 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

Maybe it's kind of just a natural result of those Shards being Invested in the world and those spren being their 'representatives', in which case Odium becoming Invested in Roshar might have opened up new Bondsmith Spren "jobs" that no appropriate spren has tried to fill yet. But the Unmade might not fit, if they are just corrupted "native " spren vs Odium or Odium + Honor and/or Cultivation spren.

Even so Odium did not make a Bondsmith equivelent in the Unmade.

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Considering Brandon himself says that therre is no Bondsmith equivelent among the Unmade I think we can.

There *is* no Bondsmith equivalent, absolutely.

That doesn't mean there *won't* be in the future.

And anyway, if Sja-anat bonded a Bondsmith I am not sure she would really be considered one of the Unmade any longer. (Remade???)

(Also, I think that WoB is actually talking about a less direct and more symbolic correspondence between the nine Unmade and the nine non-Bondsmith orders or nine non-Adhesion Surges-- it does say the correspondence is "not as one to one").

On 12/23/2021 at 3:48 PM, cometaryorbit said:

There's a WoB that it's more than just quantity of Investiture, but what? It seems the KR orders were mostly set up by the spren and humans themselves, not the Shards, so I don't think it was Honor's decision.

From what Khriss says in AU and Brandon says in WoBs, it sounds like a Radiant spren is a Radiant spren because it embodies the Surges it grants (and several also seem tied to the Essence of the order). So in the case of the Bondsmith spren, they are presumably Bondsmith spren because they are direct personifications of the Surges of Adhesion and Tension, and perhaps the Essence of Sinew (a metaphorical way of saying "the things that hold the world together" or something like that?), not necessarily just because of Investiture or a Shardic association.

(Worth noting also that the intelligent spren had to be created by the Shards, even if Surgebinding wasn't an expected outcome, so that may also play a role.)

On 1/11/2022 at 2:30 PM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

From what Khriss says in AU and Brandon says in WoBs, it sounds like a Radiant spren is a Radiant spren because it embodies the Surges it grants (and several also seem tied to the Essence of the order). So in the case of the Bondsmith spren, they are presumably Bondsmith spren because they are direct personifications of the Surges of Adhesion and Tension, and perhaps the Essence of Sinew (a metaphorical way of saying "the things that hold the world together" or something like that?), not necessarily just because of Investiture or a Shardic association.

(Worth noting also that the intelligent spren had to be created by the Shards, even if Surgebinding wasn't an expected outcome, so that may also play a role.)

Ooh, that makes Ba-Ado-Mishram even more likely to be Bondsmith capable, she did seem to be integral to Roshar from what Kalak said!