How to destroy Nightblood?

Trusk'our

Question

7 answers to this question

At least Endowment and Ruin

OrangeJedi

When Nightblood created, was Endowment involved in any way more than normal?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question, you qualified that the right way! I would say yes, but maybe not to the extent you're thinking.

OrangeJedi

Normal being using Endowment's Investiture to Awaken. There's something special.

Brandon Sanderson

I would say, there is something special.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Walin

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it. 

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

20 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

How on Roshar did Nightblood get Ruin's investiture?!

Not saying that it's not true, just curious is all.

The Investiture associated with the Shard is not just all clumped up in one place. Adonalsium's power permeated the Cosmere and when he Shattered and the 16 Vessels took up his 16 Shards, all that power got assigned to the Shards as well. You don't necessarily have to go to Scadrial to get some of his Investiture. Ruin is all ruin across the Cosmere.

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

The Investiture associated with the Shard is not just all clumped up in one place. Adonalsium's power permeated the Cosmere and when he Shattered and the 16 Vessels took up his 16 Shards, all that power got assigned to the Shards as well. You don't necessarily have to go to Scadrial to get some of his Investiture. Ruin is all ruin across the Cosmere.

Yes, that's true, but as far as I understand it, there is a specific way to access a Shard's investiture, and that comes from their own magic system. The only way I've seen to access Ruin's power would be in the creation of a Hemalurgic spike. But awakening is of Endowment, and uses her investiture.

So, is more going on here? How did Nightblood access that investiture? Was the command used to create it simply close enough to Ruin's Intent that Nightblood's creation was fueled by Ruin? Or maybe a Hemalurgic spike was somehow involved?

I guess that's what I'm really confused about.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Five Scholars managed to tap into something more fundamental during the creation of Nightblood and either knowingly or accidentally accessed Ruin's power.

Awakening as an Invested Art seems quite close to the fundamental rules of magic in the Cosmere: Commands. I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier, past the initial cost of Breaths, to use that system to tap into deeper magic, kinda like a Bondsmith.

16 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Awakening as an Invested Art seems quite close to the fundamental rules of magic in the Cosmere: Commands. I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier, past the initial cost of Breaths, to use that system to tap into deeper magic, kinda like a Bondsmith.

Dude (or girl, I don't actually know). I've never hear such an awesome pair of sentences before. It just sounds really, really cool. And I really hope that's how it works :)