Anime Suggestions

Condensation

So I'd like to watch anime, but I do have a couple of limitations. First of all, I have no idea what to watch! Second of all, it has to be available on a major streaming service. Essentially Netflix, Disney +, and Amazon. Also preferably free if it's on Amazon. Third, it absolutely must be clean. And as a preference? It would be nice if it weren't subtitled. I can do subtitles, though. 

My favorite's Assassination Classroom, but I think it's only available on Hulu. It's really strange, but once you get past the first five or so episodes, it's really good. Also, there's one early episode that has some pretty mild sexual themes and is just generally bleh; however, it introduces an important character and makes much more sense later on. So don't get turned off of it by that. It gets much, much better. Well, assuming you can find it :P

3 hours ago, Ookla the Lad said:

Define these parameters, because there's no such thing as a perfectly clean anime.

Preferably little swearing, none of the f weird, nothing explicit and as few references as possible. Think "I might be willing to show it to my twelve year old sister" kind of clean. And not just because she wouldn't get the references sort of thing. 

And no real genre in particular, although I love fantasy. I enjoyed a sort of anime on Netflix called Little Witch Academia? I dunno. 

Edited by Ookla the Short

I feel like we differ on what we would show to a 12 year old sister XD. But I get what you mean. Also, not to worry. Can't really speak too confidently about dubs but Japanese in general as a language is very light on swearing. So I'd like to believe that reflects on the translation. 

From what I see on the Netflix catalogue (kind of hard because I never know how much catalogues differ in different countries), there's Komi-san from this season. It might get some mildly suggestive stuff here and there because high schoolers be high schoolers, but it's minimal. It's about an extremely shy girl trying to make friends at a school full of other extremely accentuated personality traits (this characteristic is literally part of the plot).

There's also Violet Evergarden. Not gonna lie, haven't finished this one but it's probably the most gorgeous animation I've seen that wasn't a movie. It's about a kind of sentient doll iirc that was used for war, but when the war ends is clueless about what to do. She also wants to learn about human emotions (keeping it vague because the first episode makes a mystery out of that). 

Hi-Score Girl. It's very video game centric and the animation is 3d emulating 2d so keep that in mind. But it's also one of the most adorable romances. The series is told in groups of 3 episodes with usually a timeskip at the end of the third one. So episodes 1-3 occur when the kids are grade schoolers, 4-6 when they're middle schoolers, and so on. 

Cells at Work. The disclaimer for this one is that it's gorey at times, the series itself is very lighthearted and cartoonish but they make a joke out of making fight scenes unnecessarily intense. It's basically Osmosis Jones if you remember that. Cells inside a human body turned into characters and dealing with diseases. It's also medically accurate apparently. 

If you like battle royales you would probably like one of the Fate series, any of them should do. Zero is depressing, Apocrypha has a lot of characters, Unlimited Blade Works has high school drama. They can be a bit suggestive but not overly, I think. I find it to be really good urban fantasy. It also involves historical and fictional figures turned into supernatural powerful beings. Very fun. You'll find a lot of debates and complicated timelines online about the watching order, but my advise is to not even look them up and just watch one if the synopsis catches your attention. 

Anohana. Masterpiece. The most emotions I've felt watching a series. It's short but it left me broken. It's about a group of childhood friends that breaks apart when one of the members dies as a kid. Years later one of them starts seeing her ghost. They come to the conclusion that she's stuck here because she needs to solve something. As they try to find and fulfill that something they bump into their old friends and start to see each other again. 

Can't find much about Amazon but there's Anonymous Noise. It's a musical high school drama. Basically a girl trying to reach to a childhood friend who turned apathetic through music. It involves a love triangle and the anime unfortunately covers very little of the manga, and never got a second season, but it's enjoyable and it was nice while it lasted. 

I also seem to remember they have Rayearth. That one is a strange mix of magical girls with robots. It's fun, lighthearted some of the time but turns surprisingly dark, especially during its second season. Still very fun, could easily be anyone's childhood show.

Also, this one is a movie but since it's December I would reccomend Tokyo Godfathers which I could swear is in Netflix. Three homeless people find a baby abandoned in Christmas and decide to track her mother down. From there on occur an enormous number of coincidences which is basically the movie's take on miracles. It's one miracle after another leading to the trio's development as characters and to the conclusion. It's a comedy, a very touching one. 

Edited by Ookla the Scarecrow

15 hours ago, Ookla the Short said:

Preferably little swearing, none of the f weird, nothing explicit and as few references as possible. Think "I might be willing to show it to my twelve year old sister" kind of clean. And not just because she wouldn't get the references sort of thing. 

And no real genre in particular, although I love fantasy. I enjoyed a sort of anime on Netflix called Little Witch Academia? I dunno. 

Fullmetal Alchemist.....? No, there's... stuff.

Hunter x Hunter maybe? Still swearing, but no explicit stuffs.

Demon Slayer has lots and lots and lots of blood. But it's really hecking good

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Fullmetal Alchemist.....? No, there's... stuff.

No no, you're onto something. High fantasy on the more grounded side. Hard magic system. Military drama. The themes are good (the value of a human life) and explored through every single character, which there are a lot of. It can be a bit gruesome at times I guess but I wouldn't hesitate showing it to a 5-year old, it's tame. This is probably the most Sanderson-like anime out there, one of the best ones in general. Brotherhood specifically (there are two versions, both good but Brotherhood is generally regarded as the best one). I just forgot it was on Netflix. 

41 minutes ago, Ookla the Short said:

Ok. What are they on? Like streaming service? 

As far as I know all three of those are on Netflix. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dont overlook the works of Studio Ghibli, the are basically the Disney of Japan. 

Crunchyroll is one of the main streaming services for Anime, and while I can personally say the Roku app is crap, even their free access library is pretty good (might have commercials though?).

It's a lot easier to find "Nothing Explicit" in the context of No Sexual situations than it is to find No Explicit violence.  Most of your main shonen jump series have no sex but tons of violence.  Naruto is a classic (and it's Next gen sequel Boruto is going strong), but there are lots of war themes and some character death, for example.  

For "Clean" anime the Sports anime genre is probably the safest by a wide margin. Most are very similar: a story about a high school team (or individual) as they strive and train for some big competition, all the while learning valuable lessons about friendship and teamwork.  I liked Hajimo No Ippo (boxing) back in the day, and there was a volleyball one a while back that hooked me more than expected.  They also come in less active "sports" like there was one about a kid becoming a Go champion (with the help of a ghost).

Food Wars gets an honorable mention as it is probably the least "clean" thing that technically has nothing at all that is (literally) sexual or violent in it, since it's all about cooking competitions.  But there are these "food orgasms"... (it's sort of a parody of anime as a whole).