Best Spiderboi?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best Spiderman?

• Tobey Maguire
    • Andrew Garfield
    • Tom Holland

(I'm still gonna use spoiler boxes so that none of this shows up on my profile or something like that. Really don't open it if you haven't seen No Way Home.)

Spoiler

My goodness 

I wasn't really surprised by anything in this movie (except for... y'know. The ending). The plot was pretty well explained in the trailers and Andrew and Tobey showing up wasn't a twist as much as something everyone was expecting anyway. Which didn't make anything any less cool. It was just like fan service on a spider-man shaped platter, but everything had a point to it and made sense. None of the decisions felt like they were doing it for fan reaction alone; it all fit. And then also was three Spider-Men swinging into battle against all the villains from the original movies, so :P

I actually like what they did with the plot more than I thought I would. Initially, watching the trailer, I was like- why would Dr. Strange do this super dangerous spell for this purpose? But they explained that nicely. Even Strange listening to Peter's requests works for me, since he's been well established as a very arrogant character and would have just been like yeah. I can do this.

I watched the Tobey and Andrew movies over the last few months, solely because I knew it'd be good for this movie. And man was it. The payoffs for various things were just... so so so good. Andrew being the one to save MJ as a redemption for him was amazing. Tobey saving Green Goblin from being impaled by his own glider was pretty good too.

I put Tom in the poll, but that should be taken with a grain of salt because it's unfair to Andrew. The MCU Spider-Man was the first one I saw and Tom got more movie time than either of the other two with Civil War and the Avengers and all that. Andrew is great.

Tobey doesn't even come close, I'm sorry, not even sorry, idk. His movies had little plot and what was there didn't make sense for me, there were all kinds of details that were weird in those and just nah. But he was better in No Way Home, because, I think, it's a well-written movie. Unlike the OG Spider-Man Trilogy.

There's so much more I could talk about, May's death (and responsibility line!), THE ENDING is so sad, the credits scenes (DR STRANGE TRAILER) (I need to watch the Venom movies), the banter between the three Peters, all that was fantastic. Wow.

Okay! I'll do spoiler boxes too, I guess...

Spoiler

alOver the last two weeks I binged as much Spiderman as I could get my hands on, meaning the first two of Tobey's and both of Andrew's (I ended up not watching Spider-Man 3, but I heard it wasn't so great anyways so that's okay).

Anyways, that paid off.

First, some context. We have this kinda sorta knockoff-IMAX thing in our pathetic little city, but it's the best we've got so my dad and I always go see the new Marvel films there (we also saw Dune in it). Anyways, today the projectors were actually broken, so after waiting about half an hour we decided to investigate. We ran into the manager after going up to check the booth: he said it was technical difficulties, and because they were so understaffed they couldn't just fix it right away. It took over an hour before the movie finally started; but that's fine, because it was TOTALLY worth it!

Doctor Strange, Aunt May, Happy, MJ, Ned, Flash, and of course Peter all doing their own thing in the first hour. The villains showed up which was awesome, and Peter trying to help all of them was honestly the sweetest thing. The first hour was actually a bit choppy, I thought, but it was by no means bad so I'm giving it a pass. Really it was just setting up for Tobey and Andrew to show up (which is the correct decision).

When Aunt May said the thing, I knew that was it. I wasn't surprised when she died; but geeze was it sad! I didn't start choking up at all until the rooftop scene with the other Spideys. Both Tobey and Andrew had gone through all their hardships and enemies and had been Spiderman for years: they were both grown up and wise and knowledgeable. Seeing them care so much about the young Peter Parker that they used to be was just so touching.

I'm just going to list moments here, because there were so many:

• Andrew saving M.J. I almost teared up. Like, the only other MCU movie to come close to making me cry was Endgame--and then this one scene pulled off the same thing! We'd all seen it in the trailers, and I knew from the moment the movie confirmed both of the older Spideys were in that he would be the one to save her, so the fact that he did was just... gaosidhfqowibfqweoipfghqwoeifhqweroifh my goshhhhhhh
  • Tobey saving Goblin! He wasn't afraid or angry or anything at Peter 1's (:P) hatred: he'd ended up killing the robber that killed Ben, and just couldn't bear to see the younger Peter make the same mistake. 
  • Ohmygosh the hug between all three Peters at the enddddddd. Goodness, mini Peter, you played my scudding heartstrings!
  • The spell at the end. Peter and Ned doing their special handshake for the last time did it for me.

But it wasn't just a cryfest! The three Peters having their banter for, like, an hour straight was my favorite thing. Every joke had me laughing and... well, I guess that's all there is to say. I'll list my favorites!

• The snow in Sanctum Sanctorum, plus Wong becoming Sorcerer Supreme. Of course the Masters of the Mystic Arts have their own hijinks and technicalities!
  • Maguire and Garfield's little fight when they first showed up at Ned's house was great. Not to mention Ned's mom/grandma; she was great.
  • Ned's existential crisis when he realized both the other Spidermans' best friend had died in their arms.
  • The gag about Maguire's natural webs versus Holland's and Garfield's shooters. Just... that. Yes.
  • "Everyone, listen to Peter 1!"
  • "Did you just make a portal?"
  • "You're in so much pain, aren't you?"

So..... yeah. I loved it. A lot.

If we're all doing spoilers...

Spoiler

I really, really liked that movie! I have watched all of the Spider-Man movies (even Into the Spider-verse) in the past year, mostly because I knew this was coming out. I was worried that I wouldn't like it because there was so much hype about it, but it surpassed my expectations! I've been laughing to myself since I saw it because I realized that I was referring to the Spidermans as Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, and Peter Parker. I saw Homecoming and Far From Home before any other Spiderman movies so it kind of makes sense...

The last time I saw a movie in the theatre was Dune, and before that it was Rise of Skywalker when that came out, so I was pretty exited. I thought that the producers did a good job including little Easter Eggs that you didn't need to see but were really fun if you did. One of my favorites was when Peter 1 turned his suit inside out and the black with gold wires looked a lot like the Venom/Spider-suit from Spiderman 3 with Tobey Maguire. 

I thought that Peter 1 deciding to help the villains rather than just kill them all was so perfect to his character, and there was such a clear difference between that and when he was trying to kill Green Goblin at the end. All of Ned and MJ's jokes and laughs about the multiverse and the villains just made the movie that much better! Especially the way that you were kind of forced to notice the difference between Zendaya's MJ and the other MJs and Gwen Staceys in the rest of the movies

When Andrew Garfield's Peter came through the portal and took off his mask, everyone in the whole theatre gasped!:lol: It was the best. The rooftop scene when Peter 1 realized that the other two were also Spidermans was so good! The emotion in that scene almost got me. 

I think my favorite parts of the movie were the exchanges between the three Peters. The banter, the help and comfort, and Andrew's and Tobey's Peters becoming BFFs was amazing! The most emotional part for me was when Andrew Garfield's Peter caught MJ and almost started to cry... It was so sad! I had just finished watching the Amazing Spiderman movies the month before so it hit me really hard. 

I put Andrew Garfield as the best Spiderman but it was a hard choice. Tobey Maguire didn't get anywhere close. He was really good, especially as the older and more mature Peter in No Way Home, but he just couldn't compare to the other two. Tom Holland captures the spirit and child-like excitement, curiosity, and jokes of Peter Parker the best, but Andrew Garfield is more relatable to me. I can't pinpoint why, but I think he is the funniest of the Peters and was the best Spiderman of all of them. Picking isn't fair to either of them, but the question was who is the best Spiderman, not Peter Parker, so I had to choose Andrew Garfield. 

Ah. You guys are making me feel so old. The Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire trilogy came out when I was in Middle and High school. Ha ha. I actually even liked the third one. Though I now recognize the hot mess they can be, they were awesome for the time. I’m not sure we can hold them to the standard we now have thanks to the MCU.  Anyway. My husband and I saw this movie Saturday night. We loved it. I agree with so much of what you have all said about it. 

Spoiler

The banter between the 3 Spideys is fantastic as well as how the genuinely support one another. I love the villains. I love that Peter is just so genuinely good that he wants to help them. I love that all the Peters got to show off how smart and nerdy they are. 

Honestly after this movie I really do feel like poor Spidey just has such a rough go as a super hero. He’s just honestly trying to do his best for others and both sides of himself just get in the way of each other. I honestly think he might be one of the only ones in the MCU who tries/tried to have his secret identity. Maybe the truth of it is you really can’t play in both worlds, but it’s way harder since he is just a kid trying to figure it all out. 

I will say that I am glad there wasn’t so much directly related to Iron Man in this. It is the first MCU Spider-Man movie where he really just got to stand on his own. While Peter and Tony’s relationship was great, it is good to move on too. 

Edit: Also I’m not voting in the poll. They are all good for different reasons. I think I view them similarly to how I feel about all the versions and retellings of the Beauty and the Beast story. They can each be their own thing to enjoy. 

Edited by Philomath

7 minutes ago, Philomath said:

Edit: Also I’m not voting in the poll. They are all good for different reasons. I think I view them similarly to how I feel about all the versions and retellings of the Beauty and the Beast story. They can each be their own thing to enjoy. 

YES! I concur! (Also about the Beauty and the Beast thing)

They're each their own deal. Toby Maguire just... happens to have these powers, and never really had any reason to have anyone fight him, but all the villains and baddies try to fight him anyways. And he fights back because he can, and if he doesn't, bad stuff will happen. Andrew Garfield is almost always directly responsible for the villains being the way they are: he helped create Lizard, and he hurt Harry (though unintentionally) into becoming Green Goblin. He's also gone through the most loss out of the two: He lost his uncle, Gwen's dad; and then, of course, Gwen herself.

And then there's Tom Holland. He got raised in a world full of aliens and monsters and literal gods: battle after battle between the epic forces of light and darkness. He isn't the only superhero; he doesn't even have to use his power. But he wants to be like Iron Man and Captain America, using all his power to defeat evil: until later, when he decides to be a friendly neighborhood Spiderman instead. And then he gets dragged into the Infinity War, loses Tony Stark, is yoinked into Mysterio's whole thing, and when he just tries to make things right for his friends the whole multiverse turns upside-down.

I think I'd say that Maguire is the most responsible spiderman. He's had times of doubt and denial, but saw the consequences of staying down, even when nothing was his fault at all. He's probably the most experienced and the wisest of the three. When he first runs into Doc-Ock in FFH, Otto says "you've grown;" which I think is really nice, considering Maguire's character. He's really the one who tries to keep Tom Holland's Peter in check, and understands a lot of his struggles.

Garfield, on the other hand, has faced the most--even with fewer movies. Holland's Peter lost almost everything--and then some, by the end of the movie. I honestly think that Andrew's Peter is the toughest between him and Maguire, considering how much pain he's felt. He was also the goofiest, which I absolutely love.

Between them both, though, I think the most important part was that they're both grown Spidermen. They've already fought their battles and vanquished their foes. Both of them started out as graduating seniors in High School, which is where Peter 1 is now; and he started his problems as a freshman! They're looking at the Peter they used to be, but who's also already gone through as much as both of them.

Basically, the movie could've really screwed up this crossover. They could've brute-forced some CGI and writing to make them all exactly like they were back in their own movies, but instead the recognized that Maguire and Garfield weren't here for fanservice or spectacle; they were there to help out Holland.

Which was super sweet.

Gods, I love this movie.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Basically, the movie could've really screwed up this crossover. They could've brute-forced some CGI and writing to make them all exactly like they were back in their own movies, but instead the recognized that Maguire and Garfield weren't here for fanservice or spectacle; they were there to help out Holland.

Which was super sweet.

Gods, I love this movie.

Wow. I love everything you just said. And this part is so true. I’m so glad they let Tobey and Andrew be grown up Spideys still. You know there is more to their stories than just their movies. They’ve indeed grown and learned through life. And now it can help another one of them. It really is quite similar to Spider Gwen and Peter B Parker in Into the Spiderverse. Which is something I loved about that version too. (I think if Mike’s Morales was in the poll I may have voted for him as best Spidey… or Spider-Gwen… ha ha.) Not gonna lie, I would love for all 3 live action Spideys to somehow get into Into the Spiderverse 2. 

This was a great movie. There's a lot more that could be said, but I don't want to type it out, and we already know all of that. 

To answer the original question: 

Before this movie, I always said that I liked Tobey's Peter, Andrew's Spider-Man, and Tom's mix the best. 

After seeing this movie twice, I can say that I like Tom's Peter, Andrew's Spider-Man, and Tobey's mix the best. 

If I could add one more thing to this movie, it would probably be the existence of Insomniac's Spider-Man into this one, as I think that version of Peter would be the ultimate mentor to MCU Peter (especially long-term). It could also add some much-needed redemption for Spider-Man: Miles Morales' main villain, the Tinkerer. But I'm also happy they didn't/couldn't do this - Insomniac's Spider-Man is best doing his own thing with Miles in the game world and his level of experience would invalidate several other characters IMO. ...I may need to write out how that story would work. 

Anyways, I had a blast both times seeing the movie, and I can't wait to see where Peter Parker goes from here. 

Can I also add how BRILLIANT this movie is? This whole trilogy effectively served as a prequel to the classic Spider-Man that we know and love. And J. Jonah Jameson was not only has his most dastardly, but also is effectively neutered by the end of the movie, since his arguments no longer hold weight. It's brilliant

okay

i love this movie

all of it

all y'all have like these super in depth analyses and I have like... this

So I reeaaaaallly like Tobey Maguire's Spiderman because it was the first one I saw and I really like the way he's the nerdy, friendly neighborhood Spiderman. To me he's not like this super hot brilliant perfect guy, he's less attractive even though i like him more, and you can see his flaws a lot better. At least that's what I think. I kinda relate to him more I guess because he's not perfect British amazing Tom Holland.

Spoiler

so I loved the entire movie and everything and I'm probably going to ramble a lot and whatever but it's fine

I watched the Tobey Maguire movies a while ago and I haven't seen the Andrew Garfield ones yet, but Fog, Connie and I all watched the Tom Holland first 2 before we watched it yesterday so I remembered a lot of it really well, which made it even better. It like went straight from Mysterio and whatever right to the next movie, which I loved. The feelings in all the characters were so real and I laughed, cried and all that jazz. 

I cried like... the entire movie because I'm a very sad person but I bottle that all up so anything sad just explodes those feelings... anyway. 

I loved the whole thing even though my siblings hated the end I thought it was great and agh feelings

idk

The banter stuff between all the spidermen was fantastic, and I loved it. The way the three spidermen kinda balanced each other out like with Tobey's older maturity and understanding and Andrew's humor and Tom's youngness with all their nerdiness and amazingness it kinda reminded me of me and my siblings so I loved it.

@Vapor So the thing I liked about the ending is 

Spoiler

It works as a way to potentially write Tom Holland Spidey out of the MCU. Though I have heard that Sony and Marvel are reaching a deal to potentially do another Tom Holland trilogy. Which would be awesome. I just think it’s possible that when they were moving forward with NWH they weren’t sure if that would happen. 

Well, I watched the movie a week and a half ago. And it was amazing. There are a few things that seem kind of problematic to me - the whole legal part ends very quickly, Ned's magic abilities nearly act like Deus ex machina - but those are personal opinions, and overall they don't change the fact that I love the movie. And I probably should find a time to watch it again.

At the cinema I watched, people cheered basically every time a character from a pre-existing film was shown (except for ones from the previous MCU Spider-Man movies), and it was... Well, I can say fun and I can say annoying, it was kind of both. Their excitement was pretty much understood and shared.

Spoiler

It took me some time to realize that aunt May actually died. It really surprised me, though afterwards I realized that Tom's Peter's uncle Ben was never mentioned, and quite possibly didn't exist, so... Yeah.

Healing the Villains was a great idea, really. When you put them to jail - they return. When you kill them - well, it's sometimes immoral. Especially if they're insane. So, that's great!

Mat Murdock appeared for only about a couple of minutes, but that could be an opening for him appearing in later MCU movies, maybe even having one of his own.

The Peter Parkers interaction! Well, I'll need to rewatch, focusing more on it, but it was nice, I think.

The movie was full of callbacks, which I guess was supposed to be expected. Including Andrew's Spider-man being called amazing by Tobey's. That was a fun thing to note, in my opinion.

I don't have a favorite Spider-man, and I don't see a reason to have one. All three actors (and characters are amazing, not only Andrew and his Peter/Spider-Man.

I want to say stuff, but it'd be kinda redundant, because all of you have pretty much already said what I want to say. ...but I'm still gonna say some stuff.

Spoiler

A couple of you mentioned the rooftop scene with the Spidermans, but for me, the best part of the rooftop scene was before Tom's Peter saw the other Spidermans. When MJ and Ned were just on either side of Peter, simply holding him and being there for him, I got the closest to crying.

Before watching this, I only watched 2 ½ of Tobey Maguire's Spidermans, so I had no background for Andrew Garfield. I didn't even know what he looked like. (After the movie, though, my mom and I were discussing which of the Spidermans is most attractive. She thinks Maguire, specifically when he was young in the original movies, was cutest. Putting him above Garfield and Holland. I think she's crazy and that Garfield is the cutest, in case you're wondering.) But when Andrew Garfield pulled off his mask, a girl in the theater screamed--and I mean SCREAMED--"AAAAAHHHHHH IT'S ANDREW GARFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And then she was full-on fangirling the rest of the movie. I was too, but not that loudly.

The ending was, of course, so so so sad. MJ's desperation when Peter said he'd have to make her forget him was absolutely heartbreaking. Zendaya's MJ doesn't show that kind of emotion very often, she's usually sarcastic and chill and just kinda sassy and I love her for it, but that just made it even more painful when you saw how frantically and desperately she protested, begging for there to be another solution.

It was so freaking good. I'm going to see it again tomorrow night, and I'm excited to be able to pay better attention to certain things. Anyways, there's my two cents.

Edit: I also didn't vote. I don't know enough about Andrew Garfield to make a fair vote, also they're all freaking awesome so yeh

Edited by DramaQueen

My dad wasn't able to see it when I saw it because it was with my mom and her dad and y'know... they don't live together anymore, so I get an excuse to take him to see it on Friday and I'm sooo excited, but I'll probably be posting more opinions afterwards.

soooo.... Yay

Yay I can finally read these! I loved all the jokes, and the villains were great. 

Spoiler

I loved the credits scene, with Venom. Took me a hot minute to figure out what it was lol. “We’re drunk now we should skinny-dip.” Lol

I’m really looking forward to another Spider-Man movie now, though I know it’ll be a while. At least we got Multiverse of Madness to look forward to.

Man this was such a good movie! In preparation I watched the first two Tom movies but now I wish I would have watched them all. I have seen the Tobey ones but not the Andrew ones. I need to go back and watch all those then No Way Home again I think. I'm a fan of Tom over Tobey but I need to watch the Andrew ones before I can say which one I like best (although I really liked him in this movie). Really fun movie and looking forward to whatever comes next. 

Okay so it's been about three weeks, and I think for a movie this size the limitations on some spoilers can end. 

There have been talks about and fan support of a third Amazing Spider-Man movie with Andrew Garfield and Co returning. If this happens, and if they happen to introduce Mary Jane (officially - Shailene Woodley was cast as MJ Watson and had filmed scenes in ASM2, but they were all cut), should Mary Jane keep her iconic red hair? I ask because if they open the floor to NOT doing so, they may broaden the casting choices. MCU MJ doesn't have red hair, but she is also "Michelle Jones-Watson" and isn't considered the same character...despite having the same initials and playing the same role.* And they could also expand the casting choices and have the actress dye her hair or wear a wig. 

Anyways, I'm just curious what people think about this, and if they're comfortable with another interpretation of the iconic interest having a different hair color,and possibly being of a different ethnicity than classical and original depictions, or if the red hair matters.

(Batman has done this with Catwoman, although maybe Lois Lane for Superman is a better example. Iris West is a fair example of a race change that more or less caught on, but her look is less iconic than someone like Lois or Jean Grey or Mary Jane Watson.)

*Maybe this was done to introduce Mary Jane later if Michelle didn't land as a character, but since she did, they are effectively the same. Michelle being MJ was also a late-movie twist for Homecoming. 

• 4 weeks later...

Man this movie was good. And intense!  My wife and I snuck out to see it Sunday night a few weeks back.  Kinda blew me away, and I cried quite a bit toward the end. 

I'm on the fence between Tobey and Tom.  Andrew Garfield is someone I love as an actor I just think Spider Man wasn't his best work, though he nailed his bits in this movie.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...