Gold Feruchemy vs Surgebinding stormlight

Trusk'our

Question

Is Feruchemical gold healing superior to Surgebinding healing, since feruchemical healing leaves the person feeling rejuvenated and refreshed, and stormlight leaves the person feeling tired? If a gold Ferring were to become a knight radiant, could they tap small portions of a goldmind to counteract the exhaustion they would feel after healing via stormlight?

13 answers to this question

Stormlight healing doesn't make someone feel tired, stormlight running out does.

From what we see their are three types of Stormlight healing

1. Regrowth
  2. Honorblade healing
  3. Radiant healing

Everything we know Radiant healing can do, we know Gold can do

So, Gold is as powerful as Stormlight's most powerful but is not greater.

Edited by Ookla the Frustrated

1 minute ago, Ookla the Frustrated said:

Stormlight healing doesn't make someone feel tired, stormlight running out does.

From what we see their are three types of Stormlight healing

1. Regrowth
  2. Honorblade healing
  3. Radiant healing

Everything we know Radiant healing can do, we know Gold can do

So, Gold is as powerful as Stormlight's most powerful but is not greater.

Still, if a radiant got stabbed and needed to heal the wound, they'd need to exhaust themselves at least a little, because the stormlight would get used to heal them, unless they want to constantly hold stormlight, and that isn't going to be permanent.

A gold Ferring, if they got hurt, could just heal, and they'd be fine, no strings attached aside from having a more limited pool of investiture to draw on.

14 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Still, if a radiant got stabbed and needed to heal the wound, they'd need to exhaust themselves at least a little, because the stormlight would get used to heal them, unless they want to constantly hold stormlight, and that isn't going to be permanent.

A gold Ferring, if they got hurt, could just heal, and they'd be fine, no strings attached aside from having a more limited pool of investiture to draw on.

yes, but the ferring has to feel like crap for months to get enough stores to do that.

Stormlight healing comes in specific levels of power whereas Gold Feruchemy is a spectrum. The weakest is holding an Honorblade, it can repair physical injuries but can't heal damage to the soul. Radiant healing is at least as good healing physical damage as having an Honorblade, plus can heal Spiritual damage. How well it heals Spiritual damage is up to debate, so I won't go too into that. The weakness is that there seems to be a set speed at which it can heal injuries, with Spiritual injuries taking even longer according to Kaladin. And then you have Regrowth. When healing others it is limited by both the user's and the patients perceptions, but when used on themselves it is the fastest and most powerful of the Stormlight healing methods. Adolin described Renarin as healing faster than is usual for a Radiant and he healed from what I would assume were staggering injuries of being crushed by a lot of rock.

Gold on the other hand is entirely dependent on how much stored Health the Feruchemist has. How fast and complete the Gold healing is controlled by the user according to how much they have to spare. Sure you could increase the speed of the healing but the diminishing returns of Feruchemical compression mean you might run out of Health before you finish healing, or you can take it slow and heal from more extensive injuries. Now though, if you have a lot of Health to spare like Miles did with Compounding, or what was available in the Unkeyed Goldmind Wayne got in BoM  the effectiveness and power of Gold Feruchemy exceed Radiant and possibly even Regrowth healing. Miles was healing injuries before the injuries fully even had time to happen. For example his legs healed before they even had time to finish breaking. Brandon typically describes healing Spiritual damage as creating a graft of Investiture leaving something akin to a scar, but has said that with enough stored Health, and self perception willing, could perfectly heal the Spiritweb.

My opinion, at it's highest ends, Gold is at least as good if not outright better than even Regrowth, but the difficulties of having enough Health stored up to hit those levels means that in most practical situations Stormlight would be just as good or even better depending on the Radiant's Order

2 hours ago, Ookla the Frustrated said:

That's in personal preference, not power though.

But if you feel tired...doesn't that mean that you don't have as much energy to keep fighting, or stay alert to other dangers?

I'm sorry if I'm starting to turn this into an argument; I'll stop posting about this subject if you'd like.

11 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

I'm sorry if I'm starting to turn this into an argument; I'll stop posting about this subject if you'd like.

Please continue I love this.

12 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

But if you feel tired...doesn't that mean that you don't have as much energy to keep fighting, or stay alert to other dangers?

It's not that you lose energy but that you have comparetivly less, so you feel tired.

6 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

I think part of their preference is not having to worry about the storing period of Gold which should be enough to give anyone pause before wanting it. As someone who spent a whole month sick recently with bronchitis, being sick sucks. A few sniffles here and there aren't bad, but I don't know how much Health someone could actually store up that way at least in  a reasonable time frame. Then there are all the other benefits of having Stormlight in your system (boundless stamina, strength and speed boost, etc) that can look attractive even if you might be feeling a bit drained after. 

Personally, I'd probably still go with Gold myself. A huge part of that is for the way Gold healing can be controlled and moderated but not the only reason

17 hours ago, Ookla the Frustrated said:

Please continue I love this.

It's not that you lose energy but that you have comparetivly less, so you feel tired.

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

Holding Stormlight gives you a buzz so expending it can make you feel a bit tired. It shouldn't affect combat performance too much. Healing is healing and Stormlight healing is much less costly than Feruchemical healing, Compounding is better but you still have to store a bit.

Ah, that makes more sense now. I was under the impression that holding stormlight actually drained you a bit after it ran out, but if that's just in comparison to how the characters feel after holding the power, than that makes a lot more sense. Thank you for explaining it to me :) 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, Trusk'our said:

Ah, that makes more sense now. I was under the impression that holding stormlight actually drained you a bit after it ran out, but if that's just in comparison to how the characters feel after holding the power, than that makes a lot more sense. Thank you for explaining it to me :) 

Look at this man being friendly when disagreed with, Upvote for you my good man. We need more people like you.