Eluvianii

Looking for advice. Any Linux users?

3 posts in this topic

I've been curious about Linux for a while now, and I'm reaching the point where I actually want to install it. I will be doing the usual recommended steps, running it on a virtual machine to see if I actually like it, looking at different distros, etc.

However the difficult choice seems to be the space needed for the installation. As I understand it, you can keep both operating systems by making a partition and installing Linux there. 

My question boils down to, is that all the space you'll have available to install software? If I want to use it for gaming, should I be allocating as much space as possible for the games or will I be able to use the main bulk of the hard drive? 

I don't really have an issue with trying to make some space for a bigger installation, and to my understanding you can even modify partitions or create new ones if you eventually need more space, but I'd like to start with the right foot here. 

There might be ways to access the main partition for games, but as i understand it, it would just be a lot easier to keep your games on the linux partition, so i would just allocate however much space you think youll need for all your games.

Edited by Eternal Khol
typos

I see. Well, it makes sense but I guess I was hoping for some viable alternative.

Thanks, this really helps. I think if I make the change it will have to be a slow process.