Looking for advice. Any Linux users?

Eluvianii

I've been curious about Linux for a while now, and I'm reaching the point where I actually want to install it. I will be doing the usual recommended steps, running it on a virtual machine to see if I actually like it, looking at different distros, etc.

However the difficult choice seems to be the space needed for the installation. As I understand it, you can keep both operating systems by making a partition and installing Linux there. 

My question boils down to, is that all the space you'll have available to install software? If I want to use it for gaming, should I be allocating as much space as possible for the games or will I be able to use the main bulk of the hard drive? 

I don't really have an issue with trying to make some space for a bigger installation, and to my understanding you can even modify partitions or create new ones if you eventually need more space, but I'd like to start with the right foot here. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to see someone interested in exploring the world of Linux! When it comes to partitioning your hard drive, it's true that you can create a separate partition for Linux and still have access to the rest of your hard drive for storage. Keep in mind that the amount of space you allocate to your Linux partition will affect the amount of space available for installing software.

On 18/4/2023 at 7:36 AM, KatawaYK said:

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to see someone interested in exploring the world of Linux! When it comes to partitioning your hard drive, it's true that you can create a separate partition for Linux and still have access to the rest of your hard drive for storage. Keep in mind that the amount of space you allocate to your Linux partition will affect the amount of space available for installing software.

Well, back then I didn't know how to phrase it, but I later realized my question was if I could use the home partition to install stuff, or if it all went to the OS partition. Again, later I realized things like libraries go into the OS partition but those are typically very small. And games and other software do go into home.

Been using Linux for over a year now and though I still have trouble with it from time to time (just today Windows randomly deleted my boot entry, so I had to boot into a live USB and create it again), but overall I'm happy with it. 

I don't have any ideological reason about foss or stuff like that to use it, it just seemed interesting and fun to tinker with, and it has delivered. 

On 4/18/2023 at 8:36 AM, KatawaYK said:

If you're planning on using Linux for gaming, you may want to allocate as much space as possible to your Linux partition. You can learn more about it at tuxcare.com. While you can always resize partitions later, it's best to start with enough space to avoid running into issues down the road.

Edited by KatawaYK