Compliment the Person Above You

#1 Taln Fan

Greetings! I saw this topic that died out a while back, and thought it seemed like a great idea! I’ll just quote @Delightful’s explanation, because they’re more eloquent than I:

So I've noticed that a fair share of people here struggle with various self-esteem issues, anxiety, depression etc. and while text on a screen can't solve chemical imbalances or serious medical issues, we can certainly help each other feel better about ourselves and make life somewhat easier. 

So here's how it works: someone posts (and I'm not fishing here, we can totally start with the first person to reply). The next person compliments the person above them - and no shallow compliments either. We don't know what each other looks like so 'you have pretty eyes' is off, as is the bland 'you have a great personality'. Find something you genuinely like about that person and then give them a real, true compliment. Off-topic discussion can ensue, and I'm sure silliness will, but every single post has to compliment the person above or it gets a single downvote (is that within forum guidelines?)

No holding back guys. You've read this and are now obligated to post. Go for it!

So yeah! Help make people’s day better! It’s been a rough 2 years, and the world could do with a good dose of niceness. If you don’t know anything about the person above you, you could either wait or go check out their posts on the forum to see what they’re like! Since there’s nobody ahead of me, I’ll just ping @caramel_ to start! Regent (A.k.a. caramel), you’re fun to chat with, and one of my best friends on the Shard. I love getting to hear you rant. You’re a great artist, and chatting in #sunreach-spoilers (RIP) was my favorite time in the fandom! :lol: 

AAAAA @Ookla the Taln Fan thank you so much
Love the member signature as well, slugfriend <333 
Hahahaha welp there's lots but I'll just say you're one of the bestest Shardfriend/slugbuddy I know, and you're an absolute amazing hooman and it's great chatting with you too (ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE SLUGGOS), like, seriously you're just awesome man :>>

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Ookla, I greatly enjoyed your Picrew. Definitely felt like you nailed an Alethi look, and thought that was really cool. (Apologies for the lack of ping, I am unsure how to do that). 

That was not me, unfortunately. I think you’re thinking of @Robin Hatter.

Edited by Ookla the Confused

@TheWanderer I don't really know you, but here goes. You have a gorgeous profile pic (where did you get it?) I read some of your posts and you seem to be a pretty good theorizer, and a very polite person.

Also, you have excellent taste :P

Edited by Robin Hatter

@Robin Hatter you are a really cool person and fun to talk with. You are always very polite and well-mannered.  You are also not scared of Slytherins, so I feel good talking to you :P

Your picrews are amazing and never fail to bring me joy and I feel that they are just as good, if not better than some of the paintings out there,. Your profile picture is aboslutely wonderful and embodies wonder and fantasy. It also, for some reason, reminds me of the book "The Wizard Of Oz".

Which is great because "The Wizard of Oz' was a very dear part of my childhood.:D

8 hours ago, Robin Hatter said:

@TheWanderer I don't really know you, but here goes. You have a gorgeous profile pic (where did you get it?) I read some of your posts and you seem to be a pretty good theorizer, and a very polite person.

Also, you have excellent taste :P

Found it amongst various fan art of a professional slanderer in the cosmere. As for my theorizing I just have an overactive mind coupled with a propensity towards finding loopholes I can exploit. The politeness, well nothing wrong with attempting to maintain a certain level of tact. Thank you. 

@AonDoor you are very polite and have good manners always, and are also insanely good at the Hangman Game. You profile picture and username are pretty funny and they make me cackle. Overall, you are a pretty cool person and its a pleasure to read your posts :D

Edited by Elf

@Elf you are very nice, thoughtful, and super polite, and I love discussing books with you. (We seem to have similar tastes.) I always like reading your posts, and I can tell you put a lot of thought into them.

I also want to thank you for complimenting me earlier in this thread, it made me so happy and put a huge silly grin on my face :D

Overall, you are a wonderful person, and it's always a joy to interact with you!

@AonEne, you are clearly the most popular mod on the forums. Not only because everyone always tags you when they want an issue resolved, but you got the most votes in that moderator poll I can't seem to find right now. You are always nice, but you don't let people take advantage of you for that. You resolve issues quickly, and usually leave both parties satisfied. You got many votes in my poll, "Who is the coolest sharder," second only to "other." You probably got more votes than any one person, and for good reason.

@Nathrangking A paragon of kindness with poetry that slays, a true master of magics good and evil. As you've persisted through turbulent storms of agonizing injustice, you've stood as an inspiration to the silently struggling. Probably the most friendly omnipotent creator and destroyer of worlds and realities that I know!

@Knight of Iron, speaking of creators, it was a pleasure working with you on worldbuilding for LGFaD. You are smart, and very good at turning an innocent RP about searching for dragons to a world-is-ending, zombies and (theoretical) dragon zombies RP. That's a compliment, right? And let's not forget your elaborate work on the Realmatic theory of the RP... Long story short, you did a great job there. 

Hope that counts as a compliment... 

• 2 months later...

(Bringing this back from the dead, i'm sure it's not because my self-esteem is plummeting :D)

@Trutharchivist we don't interact much, but whenever i see a post by you it is really interesting and thoughtful. You really come across as someone who cares and thinks about what they say, which is something i could definitely use practice with. Lol.

@Thaidakar the Ghostblood you're very confident, and your ability to help build a story from scratch on tlt is awesome! I also appreciate that you changed ur memeber title lol, and i accept you as emperor of snarky comments.

Edited by Szeth's Facepalm