Random discussion!

Guest King Bean

I would say you're always somewhat obsessive with grammar while using a second language when you're not confident enough in your skill with it. There's this fear of showing you haven't mastered it, it's why you find so many "Sorry for my bad English" comments, makes you feel safer. 

I would actually have said that at the end of most of my comments/maybe posts for a long time if I hadn't been advised not to. "It feels unnatural and most native speakers make mistakes anyway" they said. But I did, and sometimes still do spend a long time writing a 2-line post trying to make sure I didn't say something stupid, or beating myself over something stupid I did say but realised several hours later. 

On 12/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, Ookla the Scarecrow said:

I would say you're always somewhat obsessive with grammar while using a second language when you're not confident enough in your skill with it. There's this fear of showing you haven't mastered it, it's why you find so many "Sorry for my bad English" comments, makes you feel safer. 

I would actually have said that at the end of most of my comments/maybe posts for a long time if I hadn't been advised not to. "It feels unnatural and most native speakers make mistakes anyway" they said. But I did, and sometimes still do spend a long time writing a 2-line post trying to make sure I didn't say something stupid, or beating myself over something stupid I did say but realised several hours later. 

Wow, this surprises me as I've always thought your RP posts are great! I can relate to the 'makes you feel safer' though... 

On 19/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, AonEne said:

Wow, this surprises me as I've always thought your RP posts are great! I can relate to the 'makes you feel safer' though... 

Thanks. Glad to see the nervousness didn't show XD. It does get easier once you see people don't find anything weird in your posts.

• 1 month later...