Steel Twinborn Powers?

Circumlocutions

Question

3 answers to this question

Per WOB, Steel speed should not have allowed her to go full Speed Force like that, leaving a vacuum bubbble like that implies she close to or even past the speed of sounds.  So presumably the Bands are expanding her abilities and Perception to the point where there's also some sort of advanced form of Temporal Manipulation also at play, or maybe something else reinforcing her physically. 

Questioner

I'm just curious about Steelrunners. I have to ask, assuming they have physical limitations?

Brandon Sanderson

They do. We can't go Speed Force on this sort of thing. Wind resistance is still a thing, and stuff like that.

Questioner

Bodily, their bodies--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. So, most magic in the cosmere will strengthen your body to let you use the magic to an extent, but-- Yeah, there's some pretty strong limitations.

Questioner

If you had a steel/steel Twinborn racing a pewter/steel, would you say that the pure steel, or the pewter burning to enhance their body-- in a short race?

Brandon Sanderson

Who would win? Probably pewter then, at that point. I would have to have Peter-- I wouldn't do it myself, make Peter run the math, and see what he comes up with. Those are the sort of things I go to him with.

Oathbringer Houston signing (Nov. 18, 2017)

If I'm not mistaken, Marasi tapped multiple metals when she figured out what the Bands were, so I'd imagine that she might have been using some other attribute to enhance herself as well, but I could be wrong. It might also have just been the sheer amount of investiture that was imparted to her at that time that kept her safe.

She does seem to be going supersonic for a moment there - "She slowed her speed, and for some reason the people beside her jumped, holding their ears." Probably implies a sonic boom.

On 12/6/2021 at 4:32 PM, Trusk'our said:

If I'm not mistaken, Marasi tapped multiple metals when she figured out what the Bands were, so I'd imagine that she might have been using some other attribute to enhance herself as well, but I could be wrong. It might also have just been the sheer amount of investiture that was imparted to her at that time that kept her safe.

Yep, it specifically says Marasi "tapped everything" immediately before the "pocket of vacuum" paragraph. So incredibly high levels of Gold healing would have been holding her together, and Pewter strength (and possibly even a bit of Iron weight???) to keep her footing. The footing aspect might actually be the stronger wind-resistance limitation on Steel speed: a normal person can't stand/walk against a wind above about 120mph, so the limit with no other powers might be around there.