SO. I was bored and wanted to start a RP. But I didn't have any ideas, so I stole the setting that my friend and I made up for our own RP and put it in here. I think it's interesting, and since my friend hasn't finished Mistborn or the Stormlight Archive yet, she's not going to see this for a while.

ANYway, it takes place in an unnamed fantasy world where there are three nations (that we care about): Arcalla, Valor, and Eltier. Arcalla is a nation of great scholarly and intellectual might, but less actual might. Valor is a militant nation that's conquered a huge part of the world (hence why there are only three nations) but is kind of crumbling under its own weight. Arcalla is next on their "to conquer" list - they've held out so far, but they're close to their breaking point, especially since their king is just... the worst. Eltier is an island nation of traders and craftspeople. They're terrified of Valor, but have an intricate web of trade agreements and treaties laid out so that Valor's nobility will collapse into a pile of hair-pulling and aggressive screams if they ever even think about attacking them.

Here's my character (use a version of this template for your own characters)

Spoiler

Name: Velen Ipara

Pronouns: they/them

Nationality: Arcallan

Profession: They trained under one of the world's finest assassins, Eni Beira (better known as "the Shadow"), in Valor for over twelve years. They're currently busy establishing themselves as a professional assassin in the city of Arcalla (the capital city of Arcalla, naturally).

Appearance: Black, shoulder-length hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. Around 5' 6" tall, and fairly slender.

Personality: They come off as cold and intense when you first meet them, but they can warm up to you - it just takes a while.

Other Stuff: Their family was murdered when they were just eleven years old. They want revenge on the one who killed them, but all they have is a face. Fortunately, said face is burned into their mind, and they dream about it almost every night. Unfortunately, the murders are as well. They try to sleep as few times as possible, leading to there being perpetual bags beneath their eyes.

Edited by Ookla the Confused

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Aon said:

Is there magic?

Can I be Velen's apprentice assassin/information gatherer?

Yes and yes. I didn’t mention it in the OP, but one of the things I want us to do here is create a magic system as we do the RP, because I like collaborative worldbuilding. If you’re not too into that kinda thing though, you can still give your character powers, and the people who are doing that can incorporate it. And if I’m the only one who’s up for that, then I’ll just do the encyclopedia posts thing Fadran’s doing in the SPACE RP. But yeah.

I would like to do that.

He'll probably make a sound blocking thing.

Name: Tiptus Lelic

Pronouns: he/him

Nationality: Isgoni, Eltier

Profession: He worked as a thief for a while using his magic, but eventually decided to look higher. He took small local jobs on the Eltier border, then realized he was far out of his depth. He tried to train under Eni Beira, but they had decided to retire after a few botched jobs. He tried under a few more apprentices of Eni, but none would take him, so he honed his talent for five more years. Then he approached Velen and was finally accepted. He is now learning under them.

Appearance: Think Italian, tanned skin, black hair. Most people would call him handsome, and he knows it, but it doesn't make him overconfident. Instead, he uses it to get places he wouldn't normally be allowed.

Personality: Confident, but not overly so. About average intelligence. General easygoing, but very serious when working.

Other Stuff: He is good with knives. All of the ones he uses are special made to be thrown and to slice and dice. He has a small talent for magic that allows him to create utter silence around things.

As for the magic, I think it would be fun to have it be an elemental system with different elements, like sound and light.

Edited by The Unknown Aon

1 hour ago, Ookla the Lad said:

Can I be a wizard scholar running around and collecting magic, Hoid-style?

Definitely!

As for the magic, I think it would be fun to have it be an elemental system with different elements, like sound and light.

Yessss give me allllll your worldbuilding ideas

Where in the name of Eke is that boy?

Velen crouched in an alleyway near the nobleman's house. This job should be a piece of cake - they'd picked it out specifically to see how adept Tip was. If he failed at this, they would have no choice but to send him away. The nobleman in question, Arke Espara, wasn't concerned about assassins in the slightest. He hired guards, of course, but he'd picked the cheapest ones he could find, so they were mostly just laypeople polished up and stuffed in a suit of armor. Velen was sure at least half of them didn't know how to hold the sword hanging at their belts, and even less knew how to actually use it.

Edit: @The Unknown Aon

28 minutes ago, Ookla the Mystic said:

Alright. We’ll do a little looksie in here, and.. yep. I’ll join, if y’all will let me. I just really need a distraction from ✧*。emotions ✧*。I can whip up a character here soon.

:D

@The Unknown Aon!!

Meanwhile, Tip flew over the tops of buildings. I can't be late. Velen'll kill me if I'm late. Or as good as. So he jumped from roof to roof without making a sound. When he got close to where Velen was, he paused. We agreed to meet up in the alley, but I'm late. Only one option. Tip changed direction slightly and went past Velen completely silent and harder to see than a shadow. If there was one thing Tip was good at, it was moving unnoticeably. He slipped past the guards, following the bare bones of the plan, without having to spill a drop of blood. Guards in the manor itself were easy. Then came the inner manor. Aspora and his family lived there. If Tip had been on time, he would have arrived precisely three minutes earlier, which was when the guard changed. Now, he was left with a conundrum. He couldn't slip through as he had planned to. That meant Tip would have to enter the loud way. He grabbed one of his eight knives and threw it at the nearest guard. It hit a weak point in the badly forged helmet, knocking the guard out. Fortunately, Tip had silenced the knife and helm so that no sound was made. Unfortunately, Tip hadn't silenced the rest of the guards armor. Scourmonger! He dashed forward soundlessly, though that mattered little now. He released the silence on himself to do the second of his abilities. Tip condensed the sound still vibrating through the air and pushed it towards the guards eyes. Then he released it, stunning the guard. He darted past the third guard and went one, two, three, and four steps before turning and throwing the knife hilt first at the guard. The knives were specifically designed to create as much sound as possible on impact with the hilt. In order to slow pursuit as much as possible, Tip took the sound and once again threw it at the already stunned guard. Two unconscious and one stunned by sound. Tip turned back towards Arke's rooms and ran as fast as he could. Flying silently through the halls, Tip reached the door in less than a minute. After reaching the room that he knew contained Arke Aspora and his wife, Tip picked the lock. That was sloppy, he thought as he opened the door, making sure to change his silence to it for a moment, then walked in his silence once again surrounding him. Tip grabbed for his knife so he could throw it at the man shaped lump in the bed, but the knife wasn't there. Before he could turn, Tip felt cold steel on his neck. Lifetaker, Stealer of Dreams, please help me survive this day. "Look what we have here, a little assassin, and one who doesn't make a sound either."

Aight, here goes.

Spoiler

Name: Khusa Asou

Nationality: Eltier

Appearance: i made a little sketchy, but i'll just give ya some other details Medium length off-white hair, light hazel almost golden eyes, and slightly tanned skin. Stands at 6’ 4” (193 cm). He usually wears formal clothing, whatever that is like in this world, but I took a wee bit creative liberty, so :pp

Spoiler

75E24D49-07A3-438A-8607-2199D94C39EA.thumb.jpeg.388cbb75bb48198120ed35528a4c5500.jpeg

Personality: A bit arrogant, yet flirty. Basically, he’s good-looking and smart and he knows it. But when the time comes to be serious, he’s dead serious with almost to no emotion.

Profession: Runs a small business during the day, and a little part of the underground crime in the background in Arcalla. He does know his way around words and lets people believe that he has sound manipulation, but in reality, has light manipulation.

Other Stuff: He knows how to use knives and pretty well, but only uses them when necessary and trusts his words more than the knives. When he does use his light manipulation, he uses to subtly darken the room for more dramatic effect when he’s talking with customers during the day; at night, he snuffs out the light when he does plan to use his knives. Though he’s in Arcalla now, he keeps relatively good communication with his family back in Eltier and gives most of the money he earns to them, mostly because of his sister.

This good for y’all?

7 minutes ago, Ookla the Mystic said:

Aight, here goes.

Hide contents

Name: Khusa Asou

Nationality: Eltier

Appearance: i made a little sketchy, but i'll just give ya some other details Medium length off-white hair, light hazel almost golden eyes, and slightly tanned skin. Stands at 6’ 4” (193 cm). He usually wears formal clothing, whatever that is like in this world, but I took a wee bit creative liberty, so :pp

Hide contents

75E24D49-07A3-438A-8607-2199D94C39EA.thumb.jpeg.388cbb75bb48198120ed35528a4c5500.jpeg

Personality: A bit arrogant, yet flirty. Basically, he’s good-looking and smart and he knows it. But when the time comes to be serious, he’s dead serious with almost to no emotion.

Profession: Runs a small business during the day, and a little part of the underground crime in the background in Arcalla. He does know his way around words and lets people believe that he has sound manipulation, but in reality, has light manipulation.

Other Stuff: He knows how to use knives and pretty well, but only uses them when necessary and trusts his words more than the knives. When he does use his light manipulation, he uses to subtly darken the room for more dramatic effect when he’s talking with customers during the day; at night, he snuffs out the light when he does plan to use his knives. Though he’s in Arcalla now, he keeps relatively good communication with his family back in Eltier and gives most of the money he earns to them, mostly because of his sister.

This good for y’all?

That looks great! Love the sketch.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Aon said:

Meanwhile, Tip flew over the tops of buildings. I can't be late. Velen'll kill me if I'm late. Or as good as. So he jumped from roof to roof without making a sound. When he got close to where Velen was, he paused. We agreed to meet up in the alley, but I'm late. Only one option. Tip changed direction slightly and went past Velen completely silent and harder to see than a shadow. If there was one thing Tip was good at, it was moving unnoticeably. He slipped past the guards, following the bare bones of the plan, without having to spill a drop of blood. Guards in the manor itself were easy. Then came the inner manor. Aspora and his family lived there. If Tip had been on time, he would have arrived precisely three minutes earlier, which was when the guard changed. Now, he was left with a conundrum. He couldn't slip through as he had planned to. That meant Tip would have to enter the loud way. He grabbed one of his eight knives and threw it at the nearest guard. It hit a weak point in the badly forged helmet, knocking the guard out. Fortunately, Tip had silenced the knife and helm so that no sound was made. Unfortunately, Tip hadn't silenced the rest of the guards armor. Scourmonger! He dashed forward soundlessly, though that mattered little now. He released the silence on himself to do the second of his abilities. Tip condensed the sound still vibrating through the air and pushed it towards the guards eyes. Then he released it, stunning the guard. He darted past the third guard and went one, two, three, and four steps before turning and throwing the knife hilt first at the guard. The knives were specifically designed to create as much sound as possible on impact with the hilt. In order to slow pursuit as much as possible, Tip took the sound and once again threw it at the already stunned guard. Two unconscious and one stunned by sound. Tip turned back towards Arke's rooms and ran as fast as he could. Flying silently through the halls, Tip reached the door in less than a minute. After reaching the room that he knew contained Arke Aspora and his wife, Tip picked the lock. That was sloppy, he thought as he opened the door, making sure to change his silence to it for a moment, then walked in his silence once again surrounding him. Tip grabbed for his knife so he could throw it at the man shaped lump in the bed, but the knife wasn't there. Before he could turn, Tip felt cold steel on his neck. Lifetaker, Stealer of Dreams, please help me survive this day. "Look what we have here, a little assassin, and one who doesn't make a sound either."

Velen glanced upward, and saw a shadow dart past - one that looked suspiciously like Tip. They paused for a second to contemplate their options, then darted out of the alleyway and towards the mansion.

Edit: @The Unknown Aon

BAM

Spoiler

Name: Mistress Lina Elmset

Pronouns: She/her

Nationality: Keeps herself scarce

Profession: A traveling scholar finding different sources and forms of magic to add to her collection.

Appearance: Picrew!

Spoiler

Completed image

Personality: Imagine a female Gandalf and you've got the gist. She's wise, witty, and really frickin nice. Not a huge fan of fools or Tooks, though.

Other Stuff: Very powerful witch. Try not to get in a fight with her.

Idea for magic! 

There are four elements, but they aren't your everyday fire, water, air, and earth, their different.

The elements are Sound, Light, Heat, and Spirit/Power/Essence/Soul.

My character uses sound and will eventually use light. Fadran uses spirit (and likely the others as well) to allow them to live a very long time, plus a host of other things.

This has been your use of the identify spell.

12 hours ago, The Unknown Aon said:

Idea for magic! 

There are four elements, but they aren't your everyday fire, water, air, and earth, their different.

The elements are Sound, Light, Heat, and Spirit/Power/Essence/Soul.

My character uses sound and will eventually use light. Fadran uses spirit (and likely the others as well) to allow them to live a very long time, plus a host of other things.

This has been your use of the identify spell.

Yessss I love this

32 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

As an addendum to what you've proposed I'd suggest Will/Mind, which I'm picturing as sort of a more internal counterpart to Spirit.

That could get kind of OP - if we end up using that, maybe we should put some restrictions on it. Like, users of Mind can only subtly influence someone's thought (e.g. make pre-existing thoughts quieter/louder)