Hello

Catalyst21

Hail fellow members of the gentry!

I am Catalyst21, longtime reader of BS, found him through Patrick Rothfruss. Avid SF/fantasy/mystery/horror reader. I am 31 years old, former computer engineer for the space shuttle, currently a computer programmer. Father of 3 beautiful girls, ages 6-16. Hobbies include computers, robotics, home automation, sound systems (professional, as in sound engineer).... pretty much anything technology related. I am located in central Florida.

On a side note:

I have been considering for awhile creating a website that has all BS's works, notations and Interviews on it (in a backend, not publicly accessible) with a public facing look-up. Say for example you search GhostBloods, it would tell you which of the above works talk about it, what page and chapter it is in (for the books), and if a notation or interview references it, then a link to the respective source.

And as more information is added (and verified), add tags into the books, such as [Dula], [Elantrian] and [Galladon] where he appears in the purelake section of WoK.

Also add a cross-reference table to associate terms such as Dula and Galladon.

Basically a Google for all things BS.

What do ya'll think?

Catalyst21

Edited by Catalyst21

First off, welcome aboard! Secondly, 3 girls. You have my sympathies, sir! (mostly sarcasm XD)Thirdly, we actually have a Wiki that's being slowly filled up, so I'm not entirely sure how that would differ from a 'Shardle".

Now then, let's talk about you building me a giant robot...

Yes, but is there a easy way for us to search the books? I have seen in the forums repeatedly that someone will post a theory, but that supporting documentation will have to wait till they have time to find it.

as for your giant robot.... robots are expensive.... I have a < 2 foot diameter robot that stands 8 inches tall.... I have over $1200 in components.... let me know when you win the lottery and we'll discuss a giant robot.

On the other hand, if you want a small robot, then lets get started!

BTW if anyone wants to see some cool shuttle pics you can goto http://www.catalyst21.net/photo.aspx

The photos are from the launch of STS-134. The website (and presentation of the photos) suck, I thew is up (almost literally) in about 15 minutes., and never went back and updated it. On day maybe I'll have time....

Yes, but is there a easy way for us to search the books? I have seen in the forums repeatedly that someone will post a theory, but that supporting documentation will have to wait till they have time to find it.

as for your giant robot.... robots are expensive.... I have a < 2 foot diameter robot that stands 8 inches tall.... I have over $1200 in components.... let me know when you win the lottery and we'll discuss a giant robot.

On the other hand, if you want a small robot, then lets get started!

As far as I know, there's no database that extensive going on, not entirely sure what would be possible without breaking copyright laws and such.

Aaaand rats. Going to have to somehow take over the world without a giant robot...to afford to build a giant robot to take over the world...CURSE YOU CATCH 22!!!

Awesome pics, though :D

As far as I know, there's no database that extensive going on, not entirely sure what would be possible without breaking copyright laws and such.

Aaaand rats. Going to have to somehow take over the world without a giant robot...to afford to build a giant robot to take over the world...CURSE YOU CATCH 22!!!

Awesome pics, though :D

I don't believe copyright laws apply to my idea. I would not be serving up content from the books (which would be a copyright infringement), just references (chapter, paragraph and page numbers for the books)

the reason chapter, paragraph and page # would be for those that are using a different version of the book, page 43 in the hardback might be 47 in the paperback....

for example, you searched for Ghostblood, it would return:

Book, Way of Kings, Chapter 03, paragraph 2, page 50

Annotation, The Way of Kings, Chapter 3, url=www.xyz.com

Book, Way of Kings, Chapter 03, paragraph 3, page 51

Book, Way of Kings, Chapter 05, paragraph 1, page 72

Book, Way of Kings, Chapter 08, paragraph 6, page 83

Book, Way of Kings, Chapter 12, paragraph 7, page 150

Annotation, The Way of Kings, Chapter 12, url=www.xyz.com

Book, Way of Kings, Chapter 15, paragraph 3, page 203

Book, Highprince of War, Chapter X, paragraph Y, page Z

Book, Highprince of War, Chapter 13, paragraph Y, page Z

Annotation, Highprince of War, Chapter 13, url=www.xyz.com

Interview, GoodReads 01/01/2011, url=www.xyz.org

<quote>

question .......

answer .........

</quote>

Interview, TWG 05/01/2011, url=www.xyz.org

<quote>

BS decided to talk about ghostbloods

</quote>

You get the idea....

Edited by Catalyst21

Huh. That'd be interesting. I've got a piecemeal version working. I've got a folder on my computer with the ebook versions of Warbreaker & HoA on it, as well as the Brandonothology (check my sig) which has all the annotations, interviews & Q&As that we have access to. For the rest of the books, I just use Amazon's "Look inside" feature for their books.

But it would be nice to have a big database of all that.

Oh, by the way, Welcome! I've really enjoyed some of your posts so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome! Wow, you worked on the space shuttle? Talk about an awesome job! Also, it's good to see more Floridians around here. For a long time, I think I was the only one. I really like the idea of a searchable database. Zas and I are both working on Q&A archives, but they're different from what you're trying to do. Personally, I'd really like to see something like that on the site. I'll have to get with Chaos about it - he's our webmaster - but I'm pretty sure he'd be onboard as well. Great idea!

Also, here's your cookie, as promised:

welcomecookie.jpg

• Chaos locked this topic