The Nowhere seems familiar

Elias

I'm sure it's a rare thing to happen in original fantasy novels, but the revelation that Spensa jumping through the nowhere portal leads to not just the formless void of the delvers, but a whole other reality full of varied terrain, exotic creatures, and warring factions just seems straight out of a good DnD campaign. Is anyone else getting the same?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ookla the Cometary said:

Well, Spensa was originally imagined as a space-travel-era Cosmere character before Skyward was written, so the correspondence between the belt/outer nowhere and the Cognitive Realm, and the lightburst/inner nowhere and the Spiritual Realm, might be relics of that.

possibly so. but I wonder if sanderson had already planned the 4-book saga before deciding to remove the story from the cosmere and create the cytoverse, or if he had planned only the first book, and then removed it from cosmere, and then he went on and planned the next three but he kept using cosmere concepts because he's used to think that way.

i know brandon plans ahead, but having already the full tetralogy before even getting clear on the first book is a lot for a relatively small novel. he did that with mistborn, but at least for stormlight he only has a very general outline and he has to plan details with every new novel.

then again, the similarities are striking enough that maybe he did exactly that with spensa, before removing her from the cosmere. he certainly had planned an outline for the full 4 books before releasing the first