Eldergod3

Storing Memories

12 posts in this topic

Rhythm of War - Chapter 84. Scholar
"Midius once told me … told me we could use Investiture … to enhance our minds, our memories, so we wouldn’t forget so much." (Kelek)

Rhythm of War - Chapter 93. Strong Enough
"Veil became Stormlight, glowing brightly. The color faded from her, becoming pure white. Her memories integrated into Shallan’s. Her skills became Shallan’s. And Shallan recognized everything she had done"

Anyone else find it weird that Shallan can store memories in Stormlight?

It is her resonance.

4 hours ago, Ookla the Frustrated said:

It is her resonance.

Wait, it is!? I never heard that...

4 hours ago, Ookla the Frustrated said:

It is her resonance.

No it not photo memory is her resonance 

8 hours ago, Eldergod3 said:
Rhythm of War - Chapter 84. Scholar
"Midius once told me … told me we could use Investiture … to enhance our minds, our memories, so we wouldn’t forget so much." (Kelek)

"Veil became Stormlight, glowing brightly. The color faded from her, becoming pure white. Her memories integrated into Shallan’s. Her skills became Shallan’s. And Shallan recognized everything she had done"

Anyone else find it weird that Shallan can store memories in Stormlight?

I dont think she stored memories in Stormlight, it is more likely where she integrated Veil she also remove mental blokades in her brain, maybe with the help of Stormlight.

Oh! Good eye! And yeah, this could be a potential use of the Lightweaver Resonance! 

19 hours ago, Eldergod3 said:

"Veil became Stormlight, glowing brightly. The color faded from her, becoming pure white.

Veil was technicaly a Lightweaving. If Shallan drops that, it will turn into residual Stormlight.

17 hours ago, Honorless said:

Oh! Good eye! And yeah, this could be a potential use of the Lightweaver Resonance! 

Could you explain what a "Lightweaver Resonance" is? I am confused.

37 minutes ago, Theldragor said:

So whenever someone has two powers they from a resonance, which is kind of an extra thing you get.

Lightweavers get better memory, so whne Shallan says she's taking a memory, that's what that is.

17 hours ago, Theldragor said:

When a magic user in the Cosmere gets access to two different powers, say being Twinborn on Scadrial or being a Surgebinder on Roshar, their two powers may interact and give them a third ability. For Surgebinders, or the Knights Radiant, this seems to be strongly associated with their Order's role just as much as, if not more than, their two Surges: Windrunners get a Connection related power: they have a considerably greater number of and much stronger Squires than any other Order. For Lightweavers, this effect often expresses itself as greater mnemonic abilities.

Do note that a Resonance is a separate ability than a combo of two different powers. A Windrunner or Lightweaver or any other Knight Radiant could also combine their two Surges to create various effects. These are not technically Resonances. Resonances are new, separate abilities.

Edited by Honorless

Ahhhhhh. Ok, that makes sense. Mostly. So it's like a positive side affect to their powers, and something that just happens and they have no control over it.

Basically.  The two powers are interacting strangely.  The way Kriss said it, having two powers doesn't create a third power, but more like having two powers and an effect.  

Lightweaver's Effect is their memory enhancement.