Recommended Order for Re-Reading

sugjesstive

It's finally about time I begin my first-ever re-read of the cosmere. I'd reallyappreciate thoughts/recommendations on the order in which to re-read them! Below I have listed the books in the order in which I originally read them. 

• Stormlight 1-3 (WoK, WoR, OB)
  • Edgedancer
  • Warbreaker
  • Mistborn Era 1 (all)
  • Mistborn Era 2 (all)
  • Elantris
  • Stormlight 4 (RoW)
  • Arcanum Unbounded short stories (all)
  • Dawnshard
  • White Sand

I feel like I should re-read White Sand last because I just finished all 3 of them, and they're fresh in my mind. 

Also, is Dragonsteel something I can actually read anywhere? :3

And is WoK Prime worth it? (I know it's not canon, but just for fun, maybe after a full cosmere re-read.)

Thank you for your help/thoughts!

2 hours ago, sugjesstive said:

There are some segments of it on Brandon's website. 

WoK Prime is decently interesting, so it's worth a read. Lots of theorization potential in there

Personally, when I do rereads, I do it in this order (more or less):

• Mistborn Era 1
  • Elantris
  • White Sand
  • Warbreaker
  • Stormlight including their Novellas
  • Mistborn Era 2
  • Arcanum Unbounded + that one SotD 2 reading
  • Aether of Night (also noncanon, it's just a fun read)

You don't have to do it like that, it's just my order, but it's pretty fun to hope worlds around like that.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:54 PM, Ookla the Frustrated said:

I recommend re-reading in publication order.

Is there a specific reason you recommend it this way? (I admit, I'm not super looking forward to the Elantris re-read as it is! His writing has progressed so much since then. I find Serene nearly insufferable.)

On 11/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, Invocation said:

There are some segments of it on Brandon's website. 

WoK Prime is decently interesting, so it's worth a read. Lots of theorization potential in there

Personally, when I do rereads, I do it in this order (more or less):

• Mistborn Era 1
  • Elantris
  • White Sand
  • Warbreaker
  • Stormlight including their Novellas
  • Mistborn Era 2
  • Arcanum Unbounded + that one SotD 2 reading
  • Aether of Night (also noncanon, it's just a fun read)

You don't have to do it like that, it's just my order, but it's pretty fun to hope worlds around like that.

I think this is a particularly interesting suggestion! I've never considered "World-Hopping" myself like this. Makes me feel like a mini, goofy Hoid. 

Where can I read Aether of Night?

ALSO I DIDN'T REALIZE THE SOTD2 READING WAS CONSIDERED SO IMPORTANT. I have that YouTube link open (literally, in one of my 217 tabs) and haven't watched it once yet! Thank you, friend! 

On 11/27/2021 at 11:32 AM, sugjesstive said:

It's finally about time I begin my first-ever re-read of the cosmere. I'd reallyappreciate thoughts/recommendations on the order in which to re-read them! Below I have listed the books in the order in which I originally read them. 

• Stormlight 1-3 (WoK, WoR, OB)
  • Edgedancer
  • Warbreaker
  • Mistborn Era 1 (all)
  • Mistborn Era 2 (all)
  • Elantris
  • Stormlight 4 (RoW)
  • Arcanum Unbounded short stories (all)
  • Dawnshard
  • White Sand

I feel like I should re-read White Sand last because I just finished all 3 of them, and they're fresh in my mind. 

And is WoK Prime worth it? (I know it's not canon, but just for fun, maybe after a full cosmere re-read.)

Thank you for your help/thoughts!

I almost always recommend the same reading order, but since it's a reread for you, I can go all out: 

The Wheel of Time

Mistborn Era 1*

Elantris (& attached novellas)

Mistborn Era 2 & Secret History* (& attached novellas)

Warbreaker

Rest of Arcanum Unbounded stories

Stormlight 1-4 (WoK, WoR, ED, OB, DS, RoW)

White Sand**

WoK-Prime

Dragonsteel can only be read in one place AFAIK, but it will be edited and released for the Words of Radiance kickstarter in 2023 I believe. 

WoK Prime is a good story and is worth it if you want to see Brandon's final unpublished story and are curious about his growth as an author. It's not like the Cosmere WoK version at all. It's darker, grittier, and a little more cynical. The magic feels a lot more like the One Power in the Wheel of Time than it does the Surges of Stormlight - it's vague, and you know there are rules, but it doesn't work as rigidly either. If Mistborn Era 1 and Elantris are your favorite Sanderson books, then there's a good chance you'll love this book. I know it's not canon, but I like to consider the adventures of Renarin, Merin, and Shinri as background adventures to our main crew on Roshar.

The book does have a slight problem in its ending and cast however. While Brandon claims not much happens, I heavily disagree - a LOT happens, but it's not as spread out evenly. This book also has a bad cliff-hanger. It feels too obvious in some ways and like red flags in others, warning people that the sequel to this book would be from an author who was biting off more than they could chew. Fortunately, Brandon's experience writing the Mistborn trilogy back-to-back, and more importantly, finishing the Wheel of Time really forced him to improve and mature as an author. 

Lastly, of all the Sanderson stories, I think this book would make for the best television show. The story has a fair bit of mystery and political intrigue, a decent romance (between two characters you wouldn't really expect), and a nice set of locations. Sure, the story drags in the middle, but overall, it's grounded enough that non-hardcore SFF fans can get into it, but has the Brand(on) recognition bump from Sanderson's name being attached. Add to that the fact that Brandon wouldn't really have to be involved in the story past the first season (for better or for worse), then you've got something the publishers may want to get their hands on. Ultimately, WoK Prime is a fossil of a book that can be seen as better than the more current stuff if you're a fan, but highlight how much Brandon has grown as an author as well. 

*Since this is a reread, you can actually place Secret History after Era 1 if you're so inclined. If you had it after Era 1 originally, maybe placing it after Era 2 this time may give a different experience. The opposite is true as well. 

**Admittedly, I usually recommend people wait until the Omnibus comes out to read White Sand. Since you have all of the volumes however, reading it whenever you need a break from the other books is my main recommendation. 

9 hours ago, sugjesstive said:

Is there a specific reason you recommend it this way? (I admit, I'm not super looking forward to the Elantris re-read as it is! His writing has progressed so much since then. I find Serene nearly insufferable.)

It makes finding small details and connections easier, as they tend to get more pronounced.

Elantris is probably the least important to read in detail, you can tottally skim it without missing things for later.