Forest Nymphomaniac

(Full Spoilers) What is Detritus?

9 posts in this topic

I just finished the audiobook, and after taking a moment to gather my thoughts, and most importantly my emotions, I have this lingering thought, almost a theory.

At first, when they all reached the final portal in the oath of elders, I started to think Detritus was Earth, but quickly discarded the idea.

However, something in the epilogue made me go back to the spirit of that idea.

Detritus was orbiting another planet.

It's a moon. What are the odds that this whole time, they've been seeking their home planet and it's... right there?

From reading defending Elysium, we know humanity had the resources early on to create huge platforms within our native solar system. Is Detritus a moon from the Milky Way, perhaps even the Earth's moon?

thoughts?

It's certainly possible, though they'd have to undergo significant terraforming in order to get it to be habitable. One thing that does support your theory is that somewhere in Skyward (I don't recall where) Spensa mentions that Detritus is smaller than Earth, which would make sense if it's a moon.

That said, my pet theory is that something happened in Evershore that involved teleportation on a massive scale that resulted in all of Detritus being relocated near another planet.

8 hours ago, Squirrelwatcher said:

It's certainly possible, though they'd have to undergo significant terraforming in order to get it to be habitable. One thing that does support your theory is that somewhere in Skyward (I don't recall where) Spensa mentions that Detritus is smaller than Earth, which would make sense if it's a moon.

That said, my pet theory is that something happened in Evershore that involved teleportation on a massive scale that resulted in all of Detritus being relocated near another planet.

That was my second thought as well, but I don't know, something about the allusions to Earth slowly piling up in the nowhere makes me think that there's an intentional crumb trail towards Earth/Milky Way.

I mean, they would have had no way of knowing they were orbiting another planet until they got whatever part of the platforms working that showed that analysis. 

Of course, you also think they would have maybe noticed the other planet while they were in space fighting, so I'm liking your idea also. I feel like Evershore is gonna have something juicy to add to the solving of this mystery. 

I think the star in the Detritus system has a different description than our sun. While it's possible the moon could have been terraformed to the point that it has an atmosphere and can support life, I don't think humans in the Cytoverse were advanced enough to alter the sun in a significant enough way. 

I don’t think this is the case. The way that Spensa describes Detritus’s new orbit (“that was new”) implies that it wasn’t that way before. Personally, I think something big happened in Evershore that knocked Detritus’s orbit off-course. Since much of the Skyward Flight novellas’ plot revolves around the taynix, I’d imagine that it might have something to do with teleportation, but we’ll just have to wait and see. It’s not like we have long to wait :P

Edit: Hey @Thaidakar the Cool Ookla!

Edited by Ookla the Confused

2 hours ago, Ookla the Confused said:

I don’t think this is the case. The way that Spensa describes Detritus’s new orbit (“that was new”) implies that it wasn’t that way before. Personally, I think something big happened in Evershore that knocked Detritus’s orbit off-course. Since much of the Skyward Flight novellas’ plot revolves around the taynix, I’d imagine that it might have something to do with teleportation, but we’ll just have to wait and see. It’s not like we have long to wait :P

Edit: Hey @Thaidakar the Cool Ookla!

what @Ookla the Confused?

39 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Cool Ookla said:

Oh I just saw you in the “Recently Browsing” and wanted to say hi (haven’t seen you on the Shard in a while)

18 hours ago, Ookla the Confused said:

Oh I just saw you in the “Recently Browsing” and wanted to say hi (haven’t seen you on the Shard in a while)

yeah I have been on vacation for 2 weeks, and even before I have not been active for a while, will try to be more.

1 minute ago, Thaidakar the Cool Ookla said:

yeah I have been on vacation for 2 weeks, and even before I have not been active for a while, will try to be more.

Cool :))))