Can a larkin eat a shardblade?

Trusk'our

Question

So, we know that a leecher can prevent a shardblade from being summoned by a shard bearer, but could a larkin eat a piece of a shard blade as it’s being summoned? I can't remember the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure that bio chromatic breath can be eaten by a larkin as it’s being used to awaken, since it’s being temporarily converted to kinetic investiture, and when a shardblade is summoned it seems to need to temporarily count as kinetic investiture because a seeker can sense it while being summoned. 

Rasarr

Could a Seeker detect a Shardbearer? For example, could Vin detect Adolin's Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

That detects Kinetic Investiture, Investiture that's being used actively, so in the summoning process, you'd probably get a blip on that, but not just looking at someone and seeing it.

8 answers to this question

We've seen a Larkin drain the stormlight from a Fabrial without destroying the Spren inside, so I think while they can eat a broad spectrum of Investiture, they cannot overcome a significant Identity lock, or maybe just cant eat something that has a functional Spiritweb like a spren (or maybe a Spike).  Otherwise a Larkin would be an absolute nightmare for Nalthis, a creature that can forcefully turn anyone into a Drab.  I suspect it's along a similar line and function as why an Awakener can recover Breaths from most uses but not one that was used to make a Lifeless (and I believe there's a WOB somewhere saying that is an Identity effect). 

On 11/29/2021 at 0:10 PM, Quantus said:

We've seen a Larkin drain the stormlight from a Fabrial without destroying the Spren inside, so I think while they can eat a broad spectrum of Investiture, they cannot overcome a significant Identity lock, or maybe just cant eat something that has a functional Spiritweb like a spren (or maybe a Spike).  Otherwise a Larkin would be an absolute nightmare for Nalthis, a creature that can forcefully turn anyone into a Drab.  I suspect it's along a similar line and function as why an Awakener can recover Breaths from most uses but not one that was used to make a Lifeless (and I believe there's a WOB somewhere saying that is an Identity effect). 

That would also make sense. But as I recall, Sanderson said that Vasher was glad that the larkin were all but extinct because they'd kill him. So could they feed on his breaths?

4 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

That would also make sense. But as I recall, Sanderson said that Vasher was glad that the larkin were all but extinct because they'd kill him. So could they feed on his breaths?

I suspect it's more that he's a cognitive shadow being sustained by the Divine Breathe, which is a little more fragile way to exist.  There's a wok that if a person managed to steal the divine breath they could get all it's benefits without needing to feed it a breath a week.