I'm just a skaa.
Espoused theories from other people (Updated: 2020-01-23):
- The Puppetmaster? by WeiryWriter
- KalynaAnne's Hardcore Rithmatic Theory
- Leiyan's speculations on the Moons of Roshar
- The Listeners are the Pre-Shattering Native Inhabitants of Roshar by NutiketAiel
- Elhokar is a Proto-Willshaper by CabbageHead
- Tien was a Proto-Lightweaver by Oudeis
- Iyatil is of Southern Scadrian descent but wasn't born on Scadrial by Windrunner
My own theories and theory threads (Updated: 2017-05-02):
The Cosmere and the Shardworlds:
- The Cosmere follows String Theory (Updated: 2015-04-20)
- Each Shardworld has two Essences (Updated: 2016-02-29; Original theory)
- Metals are Investiture resonators
- The Essences are the Focus on Roshar (Updated: 2015-03-07)
- Stormlight patterns can be imprinted on metal
- Dawnshards were magical musical instruments
- The Essence-Surge arrangement was tampered with
- Stormlight is the Unified Surge
- The Roshar map is upside down (Updated: 2015-05-01)
- The Dawnshards were of Cultivation
- Atium is Pseudo-Electrum, Lerasium is Pseudo-Duralumin, and Harmonium is AuAl2
- Gold and Aluminum are connected (Part 1, Part 2)
- Malatium/Aluminum Twinborn can steal Identity
- Acupuncture is the key to safe Hemalurgy
- Paalm is a worldhopper
- The kandra Death Spiral is an autoimmune response
- "Trellium" contains both Ruin and Preservation (but mostly Ruin)
- Rashek used ettmetal to help Southern Scadrians survive (Original theory)
- Southerner medallions contain Hemalurgic charges
- Self-Awakening weakens BioChromatic bonds
- Perfectly Invoked Breath transfer creates a White Drab (Updated: 2015-02-26)
- Metals can be used as Command resonators (Updated: 2015-03-02)
- The Parshendi can hear shared rhythms. (Confirmed in WoR.)
- The Parshendi will discover Invested chants. (Confirmed in WoR.)
- Shardblades are spren. (Confirmed in WoR.)
- The Roshar continent's shape is patterned after a Julia set. (Confirmed here.)
- The Outer Cities of Elantris are named after cardinal directions. (Confirmed here.)
- There is a quantum of magic/Investiture. (Confirmed here.)
- Forton's potions are Invested. (Confirmed here.)
Southern Scadrians use harmonium for their Allomantic technology. (Confirmed via BoM and this.)
These are threads I made in order to see what theories other people would come up with. Feel free to contribute!
Abandoned theories of note:
- Shardblades are connected to Odiumspren
- "Atium" is actually Atium-Electrum
Atium is Ruin's Electrum, Lerasium is Preservation's Nicrosil
Theories under development:
These are incomplete or half-baked, and are currently residing in my Coppermind user namespace.
Sanderson Semiotics (Updated 2015-06-06)
Abstract thoughts about connections, analogies, symbols, and meanings.
Questions for Brandon (Updated: 2016-12-15)
Feel free to get from this list if you have the opportunity to ask Brandon questions!
- You said that the Cosmere was a dwarf galaxy. In the fictional universe that contains this dwarf galaxy, are there other galaxies with magic users?
All fabrials we've seen so far have have been attached to metal. How important is metal in fabrial science?
Why is the Illumination Surge not connected to the Order associated with the Essence of Lucentia (which in Latin connotes light)?
- Nightwatcher gave Lift her ability to convert food to Stormlight before Wyndle bonded her. If her Nahel bond disappeared, would her food-based Stormlight still be of any use to her?
If a person with the Tenth Heightening creates a Lifeless, would Perfect Invocation make the Lifeless perfectly white? If so, what interesting characteristics would this white Lifeless have?
- How does the Tenth Heightening's Perfect Invocation affect a God King when he transfers Peacegiver's treasure to his heir?
Can Chromium Leeching be resisted by Copper Allomancy?
If one were to submit a bead of atium to a modern chem lab for analysis, what interesting stuff would they find?
Did harmonium/ettmetal exist before Sazed Ascended?
Skaa's Laws of Theoretical Brandonology:
(Note: These laws are only applicable to fantasy speculation. Also, I admit that I don't always follow them.)
1st Law: Always err on the side of what's awesome (Brandon Sanderson's Zeroth Law). This means be creative, not boring.
2nd Law: Be brave, but not errorgant. Make risky theories, not because bravery makes you right (that would be errorgant), but because trying to solve a difficult mystery and *failing* is often the first step in solving it.
3rd Law: Cite your sources. Don't assume that people already know which scene or WoB you're alluding to. Add quotes and links to help others understand your awesome theory better.
- My Introduction thread.
- My "Ask Me Anything" thread
- An idea for a Stormlight Archives-themed tarot deck
- The Investiture-Challenged Awareness Society
- The origin of my username
- The origin of my avatar
- I am slow
Ookla name: Ookla the Insipid