All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past hour
  2. It sounds like that's what it is, so it's not sacreligious at all! It might be the closest we ever get to a unified timeline in any aspect, given its placement at the end of all of them.
  3. Trying to play catch-up Overall I thought this was a delightful chapter. It could be fleshed out some, especially in terms of descriptions, but I loved the voice. I do not think, however, the voice is that of a 14 year old girl. It rings closer to eight or so maybe nine if you pushed it. Fourteen definitely not. Puberty changes a ton. However, if this age is particularly relevant and children age differently (and mature differently) in this world, that just needs to be established up front. I'd love to know more about soul lanterns immediately, since they are the major hook for me right now. As I go - that first paragraph really sets the stage and tone and I love it - pg 2: at first I was going to comment that the voice was pretty young but then I saw fourteen as our protag age. I think the voice is still more 6-8ish, but not as off as if she was 25 or something - pg 2: caution on the use of the word 'crazy,' which is being reconsidered especially in the literary world for ableist connotations - pg 5: she's being treated more like 8ish here by the grownups, too. I'm curious about the soul lantern things. Most coming of age icons tend to center around puberty, so our protag would be well beyond the start of that. If this is following a more '16' as coming of age it would be fine but that might have to be established early just because the puberty coming of age is such a trope in fantasy that I think most would automatically assume it - pg 5: 'my little avocado' BAHAHA love it - pg 7: so here's another instance. A 14 year old girl would almost never think of herself as a 'child.' An 8 year old might, a six year old def would. The voice skews consistently in that 6-8 range so you might think about changing the age of your protag - pg 8: 'hell' should not be capitalized - pg 11: it occurs to me at this point that I have no idea what anyone looks like - pg 12: 'their chins were literally on the floor' this voice is more 11-ish - pg 13: I think this demon (or the more evil magic element it represents) should be hinted earlier. Right now it seems out of place and random - pinky swears are very pre-puberty
  4. Lance sighed. "You don't know enough about me to make a claim like that. If I only cared about the money, as you say, would I have done my best to get a protection group here? Would I have just carried your friend upstairs so she could rest and recover from her shock? You want to tell me to leave? Perhaps you should think that through some more."
  5. if you read Oathbringer than read this:
  6. So if an Elsecaller was on Alaska in the Cognitive and traveled west they would end up in a different world (let's say Scadrial) and not Russia, but if they transferred to the Physical first they would end up in Russia? And what if they went back to the Cognitive in Russia and travelled east, would they end up somewhere else entirely (not earth or Scadrial)? Because what essentially you are saying is that the earth is round but the Cognitive Realm isn't, which is a contradiction. since in the Physical you have 55 miles of water between Alaska and Russia. While in the Cognitive Realm you have entire worlds on either end and the ends don't ever actually meet. Furthermore who decided the "end of the world" is there and not in some other arbitrary place?
  7. Because it is the one object that makes since I am going to say yes I am sure(even though I am technically not sure). What else could it refer to? Via the null hypothesis if no other data turns up an acceptable answer then I am going to except the original explanation as fact.
  8. Cool. I know a few people who were born within a week of me. Never a demon. And now I have lost again after 15 hours.
  9. But since there are probably natives there, never mind the animals (do animal thoughts count for the cognitive?), there is thought and it will exist no matter what other people don't know about. It's not about global public opinion, it's about whether or not there are thoughts happening in that place.
  10. Today
  11. To be fair, the timeline’s always been sort of an afterthought.
  12. Do we know that for sure?
  13. Zeoy marched out of the kitchen, eyeing Truthless. "If you want to talk with the manager, you could just go to the kitchen. No need to yell."
  14. “WELL YES, BUT YOU COULD SELL IT FOR MONEY!! IT DIED OF NATURAL CAUSES, I PROMISE!!”
  15. yeah i had and played Legaia back in the day but then i sold it at a rummage sale back in 1998 or 1999. Dunno why though. But last year or so i bought Legend of Legaia off of amazon so I can have the game back in my collection and to play it. The game had and still does have a great story Ga
  16. Presumably, any indirect Shard-to-mortal communication (or whatever Hoid qualifies as - though Endowment dismisses him as "merely a man", that's not exactly true...) would be replied to in the same way as it was received. So Frost's reply, plus the three Shardic replies, may offer some insight into the medium of delivery. Endowment: "I received your communication, of course. I noticed its arrival immediately, just as I noticed your many intrusions into my land." Autonomy: "... You have spoken to one who cannot respond. We, instead, will take your communication to us - though we know not how you located us upon this world." Harmony: "Your letter is most intriguing, even revalatory. .. I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think. ... If you would speak to me further, I request open honesty. Return to my lands, approach my servants, and I will see what I can do for your quest." And Frost's reply includes: "I'll address this letter to my "old friend," ... Now, look what you've made me say." (While Frost is not a Shard, it seems reasonable that Hoid may have used a similar means of cross-world communication with him.) What might this tell us? Frost and Harmony refer to sending or receiving a "letter", while Endowment and Autonomy refer to a "communication", and Autonomy specifies it as a "spoken" one (the reply could easily have been, "you have written to one who cannot respond"). "Letter" technically implies a written communication, but it doesn't have to be, and Hoid's own letter to Frost called itself a "missive". Harmony replies, "if you would speak to me further", not "if you would write to me further", or "if we were to continue our correspondence". Frost uses a very colloquial offhand remark after insulting Hoid, "Now, look what you've made me say", which seems very oral to me, being a little bit too stream-of-consciousness to be something one would write on a piece of paper. Not entirely impossible, but it is suggestive. Suggestive of what? Of some kind of dictation or recording based communication, rather than an actual written-on-a-page type of letter. There is a formal composition and preparation of thoughts, to put into a single transmission (it's not like an "instant text message" type of back-and-forth reply), but still has room for ad-hoc or last minute interjections and musings, like Harmony's very Sazed-style "humble-hedging" comment, "I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think." Someone writing a letter and editing it before sending it would almost certainly not put the redundantly hedging type words "perhaps" and "I think" there, it's a kind of verbal tic. Furthermore, Endowment implies noticing the agent's "arrival" in the same way that she notices Hoid "intruding" into Nalthis - meaning it worldhopped in via the same path that Hoid himself has been using, and Harmony demands "open honesty" in a direct discussion with Hoid, implying this first communication was via a go-between. So my wild, wild theory: the letters are a kind of Lightweaving type magic that can be tied to a living or maybe Cognitive Realm based agent, which upon receipt can do a "help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope" type of playback, and perhaps includes a of mechanism for taking back a reply in the same way (like a SASE of old).
  17. It really depends on what you want to do with your power. If you want to perform crazy shenanigans in a fight then compounding steel is probably the 'best' metal for you. On the other hand, if you're a scholar or a detective and you want to shorten the amount of realtime it takes you to reach conclusions then Zinc is clearly an amazing metal to compound; we see Wax work through every possible option for a confrontation in the time it takes the person he's up against to say a syllable, sort of like what Sherlock Holmes does in the Guy Ritchie films. On the other hand, I love to dive and I could imagine compounded cadmium being an amazing power. You're running off the stored oxygen of uncompressed air so you don't have to worry about nitrogen narcosis, embolisms or the bends and you can stay underwater for as long as you have reserves in your metalmind (having F-Brass to stay warm would be good too but that doesn't require compounding). And of course we saw just how insane a healing factor a gold compounder has, so that's a good metal. And depending on how it works in practice, compounded chromium could be one of the most amazing things in the Cosmere. Or maybe not, but it depends on how exactly that power interacts with Fortune and what sort of applications you can get out of it. So yeah, 'it depends'.
  18. The conflict between "Western" and "Ancient Greek" doesn't really work for me. I think because these are two cultures that have nothing to do with each other and you're just smashing them together. If it was like ancient Greece, and they acted similar to cowboys, that might be ok. But they are literally swearing by Zeus and talking about rustic schoolteachers and other western tropes while speaking in a frontier dialect. I keep getting thrown every time one or the other is referenced, because I can't tell where the setting is supposed to be. Is this an alternate history where Ancient Greece colonized America? Is it just a reinterpretation of how Greeks thought? I want something to act as a guide to the world, but I'm getting two conflicting guides at the same time. The story however, I have little problem with. I'm interested in the Channels and in the relationship between J and Uncle D, and what will happen going forward. I'll reserve judgement until I read them, but I suspect if prologue 1 and 2 are a year before the main story, you could simply make them chapter 1 and 2 and avoid the questions about why you call them prologues. Notes while reading: pg 1: The first paragraph leans to purple prose. I had a little trouble getting through it to the story. pg 1: "if there were outlaws with beer guts that could support a whole stack of books." --I don't see any reason why there couldn't be. pg 2: "lacquered wood with metal components welded on off from atop his horse’s rump." --awkward pg 4: there's a switch from "you" to "yer" somewhere in here. I'm not sure I'm convinced by the dialect yet. pg 7: "I am the fear. Grrr" --lol pg 12: "Her recessive arm, her left" --her what now? The pace and tension of this were good, as was the story itself. I'm just having with the setting, but it's enough to throw me out.
  19. The most important step a man can take is always the next one. If he can start stepping in the right direction maybe he can be redeemed. It may also be like in Mistborn Or maybe not, lol.
  20. Re-reading? More like re-finishing! You must have burned through those books!
  21. discussion

I think Jasnah's ability to soulcast at range is purely of function of access to shadesmar. Notice that when she soulcast the man she touched to quartz, his clothing changed with him. When she soulcast the two to smoke at range, their clothing was uneffected. And then she comes out of the last trance like state. I think what occurred that she projected her mind into shadesmar and soulcast them from there directly. Without touching the beads that represent their clothing, the clothing was not changed. As such, I don't think other radiants have access to the same method.
  22. These are some really good ones! I really liked the 2 Jim Croce songs.
  23. First off, welcome to the Shard! Second off, welcome to five years ago when this was new. Have you read Oathbringer yet? Because if not... well, you'll see.
  24. “WHAT WOULD I WANT WITH A DEAD ONE?! I AM NO KING! THOSE BEAUTIFUL CREATURES DESERVE TO LIVE FULL LIVES!”
  25. Usually this distinction doesn't matter, but in this case, I think it is useful to be specific. It's not the Shard that produces a Cognitive Shadow - it's the Vessel. The Vessel's are the beings with the physical bodies who actually die. The Shard itself is basically just a ginormous hunk of Investiture - it can't be "killed." So, Harmony could never have a Cognitive Shadow, but Sazed could (but doesn't yet, because he's still alive).
  26. *facepalm* of course, I probably should have done more than skim your post about that
  27. I've been poking around with Compounding for a while now, particularly steel. I might be *mildly* obsessed with trying to get all my fanfic details as perfectly correct as possible. This is one tidbit that I wheedled out: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332/#e9576 My general feeling is that Compounding drag would have its highest impact on the physical Feruchemical abilities. So yes, Steel Compounding is powerful, but if you do it for too long at a time you're going to feel it afterwards.
  1. Load more activity