Other images in Natural History of Roshar

Rosharan plants color test

I remember reading the landscape of roshar is inspired by the tidal pools and coral coasts, which ties into the crustacean-themed native wild life, and the soil-less rock floor landscape. The whole time I've been wanting to give the larger world visual a crack, and I tell you I had no clue where to begin. For me the coral coast is just an explosion of colors that make no sense. I struggled for a long time trying to follow the tidal pool coral reef thing, and eventually reigned it down to these 6 color tests.  Truth be told they probably still need to be striped down to just 2 main colors with sprinkles of highlights. Honestly Mr. Sanderson, what were you thinking?? 



18

From the album

  • 38 images
  • 126 comments


8 Comments

Those are are really nice, but I think 1, 2, and 3 look the best. Those color schemes look the most alien.

If I had to pick, I'd probably pick #1.

These are really well done, is this concept art for a real time strategy game? Looks like you are drawing in isometric, and the details are top notch. I love the lavis farmer, the little wooden cart and the banner on top of the orchard hill (which looks like it's designed pre-everstorm with only one leeward side). And of course the fauna is great too!

0

Share this comment


Link to comment

@Snorkel Thanks! :D

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine Thank you hoid! I can never quite decide whether I'm imagining these art work for a show or a game, because the photo realism of doing artwork for shows kind of bores me, even though I would love to see roshar visualized for a show :D

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Koloss said:

@Snorkel Thanks! :D

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine Thank you hoid! I can never quite decide whether I'm imagining these art work for a show or a game, because the photo realism of doing artwork for shows kind of bores me, even though I would love to see roshar visualized for a show :D

Well, at a certain point concept art is concept art. You could just do the conceptual work (like Amano for the final fantasy series or Toriyama for the mega man/Dragon warrior series) and have other artists create the sprites/3d models/props/sets.

Your work is really good, if you're not already a concept artist at a game studio or a production company your portfolio is well on the way to getting you there.

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Well, at a certain point concept art is concept art. You could just do the conceptual work (like Amano for the final fantasy series or Toriyama for the mega man/Dragon warrior series) and have other artists create the sprites/3d models/props/sets.

Your work is really good, if you're not already a concept artist at a game studio or a production company your portfolio is well on the way to getting you there.

Thank you hoid! I am not working full time yet as a concept artist. I'm getting less timid and applying a lot more though! Here's hoping someone will hire me :D

1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Love this work, looks really good! I wonder if we know anything about the sun of Roshar to help select colour scheme?

Also, is it possible to ask for builgings of Roshar? I am absolutely terrible at artistry (Lightweaver was my least compatible order...) but still wonder how the sloped buildings would look - care to impress? ;)

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 7/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, Krox said:

Love this work, looks really good! I wonder if we know anything about the sun of Roshar to help select colour scheme?

Also, is it possible to ask for builgings of Roshar? I am absolutely terrible at artistry (Lightweaver was my least compatible order...) but still wonder how the sloped buildings would look - care to impress? ;)

I have planned to make some villager houses to see how it looks like, it's... it's on the horizon somewhere :D Recently I've been quite stuck creatively!

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Koloss said:

I have planned to make some villager houses to see how it looks like, it's... it's on the horizon somewhere :D Recently I've been quite stuck creatively!

Sweeeeet! Hope that inspiration strikes and drags you out of the creativity mire you're stuck in :lol:

Suddenly you're out there making us a full 3D map of Alethkar..!

1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now