Other images in Natural History of Roshar

The Common Skyeel - In Culture

I had a lot of fun letting my imagination run wild with how else a common skyeels would show up in people's culture: 

What would skyeel be like as food? How big is a Common Skyeel anyway? Is it steak-size? What would a high-end restaurant premium cut skyeel steak look like?

This skyeel bun is inspired by a braided dragon bread my girlfriend and I made recently. All it needs are a pair of wing fins, and some cookie back fins, and there’s a skyeel!

Where else would a commonly known animal like the skyeel show up in people culture? Toys, of course! This is a simple wooden toy, lovingly hand-carved by a grandfather for his grand children.


Copyright

© Yen Shu Liao 2019

21

From the album

  • 33 images
  • 103 comments


9 Comments

This sheet is so much fun. I want a skyeel pastry! So.. *sweet* hehehe.

0

Share this comment


Link to comment

Now I need to figure out how to cook a skyeel pastry.

0

Share this comment


Link to comment

This is honestly one of the more unique artistic approaches to Rosharan Fauna that I've seen. That Skyeel pastry looks delish!  

0

Share this comment


Link to comment

What about one of those plaited pastries and filled with cinnamon, then shaped to look like a skyeel? My mouth is watering. Somebody with baking skills, please make this!

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

What about one of those plaited pastries and filled with cinnamon, then shaped to look like a skyeel? My mouth is watering. Somebody with baking skills, please make this!

Going off of this, what if Lift's book, all of the illustrations and notes are just recipes? Like, an actual cookbook IN a Stormlight book? That'd be AMAZING. 

2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Lunamor

Posted

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

Going off of this, what if Lift's book, all of the illustrations and notes are just recipes? Like, an actual cookbook IN a Stormlight book? That'd be AMAZING. 

YES! It could be one that she stole from Rock because she thought it was his dinner (as revenge for his preventing her from prematurely eating his stew) then threw away once she realized it wasn’t food! It could be all beat up and have bite marks on the edges!

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 hours ago, Lunamor said:

YES! It could be one that she stole from Rock because she thought it was his dinner (as revenge for his preventing her from prematurely eating his stew) then threw away once she realized it wasn’t food! It could be all beat up and have bite marks on the edges!

I was thinking It'd be written by her during her journeys around the world (as her main way to interact with the people), written in whatever local dialect they have. But yours is SO much more hilarious! I love it. Heck, it could be both. 

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
Koloss

Posted

@Ark1002 

It's a braided bread with an extra big knob at the end for head, and the wings and fins are also extra dough attached to the body. I think you can definitely make this by looking up braided bread tutorial :) We used yeast dough. 

@Wyndlerunner

Thank you! :D It took many days of brain churning to get to these ideas, after getting past all the other more obvious ones like banner, inn sign, etc. 

@BookishOcelot

Mmmm~ that sounds delicious already! Yes, somebody please bake 'em and make a new album please! "Edible Roshar" :D 

@Lunamor @Use the Falchion 

Lol, imagine Lyft finally grown up, and becomes the world famous chef from all her experience and stolen recipes XD

1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now