Anime?

Demosthenes

How far did you get on your first try?

It was six years ago, so I don't remember very well, but the number that sticks in my head is 10 episodes. I don't remember exactly why I quit, except that if I had to listen to Luffy shout "Gumu-gumu-noooooo!" one more time I was liable to start throwing things.

I'll give it another shot. I see it's on Funimation, which is unfortunate. Hopefully Crunchyroll can secure the rights to the old stuff soon.

SAO was awesome and I absolutely loved it...
for the first half season.

It was such a great premise! there was SO much potential for the RPG world, and leveling up, and beating the floors and getting to the end.
In my opinion, they should have stuck with that. NOT

have him beat the game in some backwards, deux ex machina way with over THIRTY levels left. They rushed it into something else and I didn't like the change at all.
I started watching the show to see some MMO crazy, twisted world people were stuck in. doing missions and gaming stuff, using real RPG strategies to win. But instead they turned it into some convoluted, incest love story. (ok, I'll admit I stopped watching when he got to the top of the Fairy World, found the girl, and his sister confessed love for him) If it got better than that, or back on track somehow I can't imagine, I apologize, but I was really upset at how much they ruined the stories potential

Now that my SAO rant is out of the way...
I also loved reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. I've never watched a ton of anime recently, but I've been reading (some) manga. FMA was one, and I loved the magic system and the world. The build-up was epic... and the ending was a bit let down. (like most animes)

I've given up on reading Naruto and Bleach... just going on WAY too long with stupid, filler stories.

The one Manga (or manwha) I've REALLY been digging has been Tower of God.
It's korean, and a little weird. But all the major plot advancements revolve around very rule-oriented games, and using clever and ingenious ways to get around them. That's why I like it so much, because there's some form of intelligence and depth in the writing. The characters aren't too bad, either.
Admittedly, the first half was A LOT better than this second arc has been so far, but I'm still excited to see what happens.

@Gamma

Yeah, the second arc of SAO is far weaker than the first, though I don't hate it, myself. It's merely mediocre, but then you have to compare it to the first half... If it makes you feel better, the scuttlebutt is that that arc is also by far the weakest of the source material, while the upcoming arc for season 2 is one of the best.

Also, from what you described yourself as wanting from SAO, Log Horizon might be right up your alley (or at the very least on an adjacent street). Give it a few episodes to settle into its groove though: past the first mini-arc, at least.

Edited by Kurkistan

SAO was awesome and I absolutely loved it...

for the first half season.

It was such a great premise! there was SO much potential for the RPG world, and leveling up, and beating the floors and getting to the end.

In my opinion, they should have stuck with that. NOT

have him beat the game in some backwards, deux ex machina way with over THIRTY levels left. They rushed it into something else and I didn't like the change at all.

I started watching the show to see some MMO crazy, twisted world people were stuck in. doing missions and gaming stuff, using real RPG strategies to win. But instead they turned it into some convoluted, incest love story. (ok, I'll admit I stopped watching when he got to the top of the Fairy World, found the girl, and his sister confessed love for him) If it got better than that, or back on track somehow I can't imagine, I apologize, but I was really upset at how much they ruined the stories potential

Now that my SAO rant is out of the way...

I also loved reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. I've never watched a ton of anime recently, but I've been reading (some) manga. FMA was one, and I loved the magic system and the world. The build-up was epic... and the ending was a bit let down. (like most animes)

I've given up on reading Naruto and Bleach... just going on WAY too long with stupid, filler stories.

The one Manga (or manwha) I've REALLY been digging has been Tower of God.

It's korean, and a little weird. But all the major plot advancements revolve around very rule-oriented games, and using clever and ingenious ways to get around them. That's why I like it so much, because there's some form of intelligence and depth in the writing. The characters aren't too bad, either.

Admittedly, the first half was A LOT better than this second arc has been so far, but I'm still excited to see what happens.

YES! SAO ruined itself. In every possible way. And we're getting those exact things that we expected from SAO in Log Horizon.

Haven't read FMA but Brotherhood is one of my favorites.

ToG... At first it was awesome, then it started declining a bit, then it was awesome again, then second season started and it was awesome too but now its getting a bit boring and there are too many characters right now to keep track... But it's totally best Web-toon out there.

@Gamma

Yeah, the second arc of SAO is far weaker than the first, though I don't hate it, myself. It's merely mediocre, but then you have to compare it to the first half... If it makes you feel better, the scuttlebutt is that that arc is also by far the weakest of the source material, while the upcoming arc for season 2 is one of the best.

Also, from what you described yourself as wanting from SAO, Log Horizon might be right up your alley. Give it a few episodes to settle into its grove though: past the first mini-arc, at least.

It's not just about second arc. It had a premise of mmorpg survival and it had zero of that. Anyone who has ever played MMORPG can see that SAO has none of it and after first 1-2 episode it stopped even trying to look like survival game. Second arc? after 3 episodes we go into some lame romantic journey with harem elements. Its watchable, and for me vrmmorpg premise was enough but otherwise it's simply bad in everything it does. I don't know much about second season but I doubt it will be better than "first arc that could be".

BTW Gamer is also good. Its Web-toon about superhuman abilities in real world, except main character's ability is called Gamer and he has to level up and do quest to raise his stats and get skills/spells. It's good because looks like author understand how rpgames work and does it well. DICE - Cube That Changes Everything is also another rpg-like Web-toon except it has more of a "evil god having fun with puny mortals" kind of stuff going on and started to decline several chapters ago...

Edited by 213

I think when a show "betrays" (for lack of a better word) its premise within 1-2 episodes, it was actually never really about what you thought it would be. That's more a flaw of marketing/perception than the show itself, I would say.

Edited by Kurkistan

I think when a show "betrays" (for lack of a better word) its premise within 1-2 episodes, it was actually never really about what you thought it would be. That's more a flaw of marketing/perception than the show itself, I would say.

Very valid point. But the first couple of episodes were about nothing but the survivey-MMORPG vibe. Was very misleading considering they dropped that whole bit fairly quick.

I suppose. I watched the first few episodes all in one sitting, so perhaps I had a less jarring transition. It could be argued that that's kind of the point, actually: the reality of the situation setting in and being adapted to and it no longer being a survivey-game.

Edited by Kurkistan

Heh. I haven't been watching anime, recently, preferring manga. Tell, now show, right? :D

I really enjoyed Mahoujin Guruguru. It was, IIRC, the only comedy anime that was actually funny. But then, my sense of humor is somewhat lowbrow, running to potty and slapstick in text form (Tom & Jerry is not what I'd consider funny).

Doraemon is nice, especially the older stuff before the censorship hit.

Naruto and bleach are running their last manga arcs. Maybe a year more :)

A lot of newer anime is... strange to me. Often too deep, sometimes oversexed or undersexed but rarely in the middle. Very little simple stuff. And as noted above, a lot of it seems to degenerate from its original premise into one of the major plotlines (action, romance, comedy, etc, each full of their own cliches). I haven't seen one actually dedicated to, say, MMORPG in-world for the whole run :(

Ah, Disgaea anime was pretty fun too, though.

Alright...sooo...Space Brothers!

Space Brothers is a show about two brothers whose childhood dream was to become astronauts. Fast forward 20 years, and the younger brother is an astronaut, on track to become the first Japanese person on the moon. The older brother gave up the dream, and is an engineer at a car company.

...until he gets fired. And old dreams start to reignite...

I discovered this show when I myself was unemployed and struggling to find work, so the first episode hit very close to home, and I was hooked from the start. That said, even without that odd set of circumstances, I think I still would have been hooked, because this show is wonderful. It's targeted straight at old people (me); the conflicts are about work and career paths, family and parenting, dealing with loss, and other things adults face. And yet, it's not deadly serious; it's funny and heartwarming even as it's hitting you in the feels.

Also, I'm a huge space exploration nerd, so I love all of the space stuff almost as much as the main characters do. :D

Finished Monogatari second series, starting Azumanga Daioh and Fate/stay night and Space Battleship Yamato 2199. I realise that these have basically nothing in common.

BTW, if you love space stuff, you should watch legend of the galactic heroes, planetes, cowboy bebop, or the wings of honneamise. Or all of them!

We're watching Space Brothers as well, but not super religiously. It's a relaxing show. And it's funny that the thing that broke my suspension of disbelief most was the way they mow the lawn at the Johnson Space Center. :) Well, that and the depiction of the Texas Road House restaurant.

But I should also note that Space Brothers is the hardest of hard SF anime there is, at least since Planetes. There is plenty of room for hard SF in the field, so I'm pleased to see the niche being addressed.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

I've now watched past my previous high-water mark on One Piece. I like it better this time, though I wouldn't say I'm hooked just yet.

My attempt to describe it. It's a lot like Duck Tales; that is, If Duck Tales were:

1. Targeted at teenagers,
  2. Made in Japan, and
  3. Not about ducks.

With lots of shouts of GUMU-GUMU-NOO!, of course.

Okay, we watched 3 episodes of Sword Art Online, and it's soooo bleak. Is it going to stay depressing?

It's funny that the voice actor for Mutta from Space Brothers does a side character (Klein).

He was also the voice actor for the main character of Tiger & Bunny. Which is an awesome corporate-sponsored superheroes anime, if no one has mentioned that yet. Tiger & Bunny is definitely one of the best animes I've watched in the past two years.

And he is the voice of Sanji in One Piece, which actually makes me more interested in One Piece. He is quite a good actor.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Seconded. It does get less depressing. Fair warning, the season 1 resolution kind of sucks, as does season 2. I still think it's worth watching at least once.

Note: "season 1" means "arc 1", as there's technically one season with two rather distinct halves and... yeah. You'll know when you get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now watched past my previous high-water mark on One Piece. I like it better this time, though I wouldn't say I'm hooked just yet.

My attempt to describe it. It's a lot like Duck Tales; that is, If Duck Tales were:

1. Targeted at teenagers,
  2. Made in Japan, and
  3. Not about ducks.

With lots of shouts of GUMU-GUMU-NOO!, of course.

So what episode are you at now?

I love One Piece. It's like Doctor Who meets Marvel meets the Wheel of Time meets Discworld meets a bunch of other awesome stuff! I'm coming up on the end of the Thriller Bark arc and the show never stops amazing it. How can it be so funny and dark and inspiring and epic all at the same time? It makes me want to get out and follow my dreams!

I can't remember how long it took me to get into the show, but I remember the exact moment that I was HOOKED. Walk to Arlong Park. I get chills just thinking about it.

Avoid English dub at all costs. Nakama fansubs if you can get em. Regular subs are okay, too, but they translate the word nakama wrong and since it's so important to the show I go for the fansubs, but that's just me. English dub is just plain bad, though.

Edited by hawkedup

I love One Piece. It's like Doctor Who meets Marvel meets the Wheel of Time meets Discworld meets a bunch of other awesome stuff! I'm coming up on the end of the Thriller Bark arc and the show never stops amazing it. How can it be so funny and dark and inspiring and epic all at the same time? It makes me want to get out and follow my dreams!

I can't remember how long it took me to get into the show, but I remember the exact moment that I was HOOKED. Walk to Arlong Park. I get chills just thinking about it.

Avoid English dub at all costs. Nakama fansubs if you can get em. Regular subs are okay, too, but they translate the word nakama wrong and since it's so important to the show I go for the fansubs, but that's just me. English dub is just plain bad, though.

You have two most awesome arcs to watch yet :D And third one coming soon :P Wish I was at Thriller Bark arc now, I'm sick of checking mangafox every hour and seeing no updates :( :(

So what episode are you at now?

I don't remember the episode number. They just got Usopp on their crew. (Clearly I haven't had much time for Anime of late. :))

I never go for the English dub. There was one show that I think was probably improved by a dub (Bacano!), but I usually can't stand them.

I'm watching the official version on Hulu. With fan subs the content owners don't get paid.

I don't really watch anime (as in, don't), but I decided to watch Attack on Titan after seeing the fan game, and it was SO good. I burned through it in two sittings, which surprised me. It also didn't help me academically, seeing as those were both school nights...

What do you guys think about Attack on Titan?