The Newcago Court

Quiver

Rodel screamed. There was a claw reaching into the casket! He closed his eyes and concentrated. He had weapons installed somewhere, and a surprise too. It took willpower to activate them. He closed his eyes. The claw reached out and placed it over his heart. Rodel gritted his teeth, and............. Three claws of adamantium sprung out of each fist and sliced the demon hand. He felt his side wound begin to heal. He burst out of the casket and faced the demons. Meanwhile, the door broke open and a shocked @Elenion stood there.

Bayle entered Darkness' room. The storming man had eaten too much snowcones! Fortunately, he knew the proper remedy. Bayle pulled out a cattle prod and neared the form in the bed. @Darkness Ascendant

Elsa took one step, then another, then a third.

"Would the wound remain closed for me to continue with duties?" Elsa asked, looking back at the doctor. Suddenly, a large wave of pain tore through her back, pushing her to the ground.

@Elenion    @Darkness Ascendant @Captains Domon

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

On 5/22/2017 at 9:28 PM, Captains Domon said:

Bayle's eyes widened. Time was slowing.

It seemed that the court was going into dormancy for a while.

Sorry, I had AP tests and friends who needed emotional support and... yeah. I'm back now.

The door shattered under the combined weight of the two guards, and Elenion burst into the room with the rest of the squad. And quite a room it was: a stone chamber, arrayed like an amphitheater with the center of the room sinking down gradually. In the very center, the lowest part of the room, was a coffin. And swarming around the coffin were demons. Each was slightly taller than a man, and had the general shape of one, but the features were twisted into the features of animals. One was spindly, snakelike, with scaly skin. Another was covered in fur and had savage claws on the end of dextrous fingers. A third had wings, feathers, and a vulture-like beak. There were more, too, each hideous and deformed, circling the coffin at the center of the room. It was obvious where Rodel was.

Behind Elenion, the crowd of guards stalled, caught on the edge of a wave of fear emanating from the center of the room. At step later, Elenion froze as well. And then, from the center of the room, came a shrill, inhuman scream. One of the demons staggered back away from the coffin, a wicked slash across its hand and arm. It stumbled, and as it did so it turned and saw Elenion and the guards standing next to the opened door. It screamed again, and the rest of the demons spun. And still, Elenion and the guards remained paralyzed by fear.

The first demon to charge was reptilian in form, with a massive body the color of a stagnant pond and covered in scales and a massive sword of grim, grey iron. As it steamrolled forward, Elenion's muscles finally unlocked, and he sidestepped, as a hundred pounds of metal whooshed past his side. Elenion kicked the beast in the shoulder as he spun, reinforced boot making contact with a satisfying thud, but the demon appeared unfazed. It came at him again, but this time Elenion stood his ground as it brought its sword down in a two-handed arc. Elenion brought his sword down to his side so that it wouldn't block the oncoming blow, and then concentrated. The sword whooshed toward him, and Elenion smiled as it whistled right through his body, smashing into the ground below him and pulverizing rock. He brought his sword up as the blow hit the ground, and slammed it forward into the surprised demon's neck. The sword hesitated for a second when it hit the scaly skin, but then penetrated deep into the neck. The demon pitched forward, hitting Elenion with hundreds of pounds of dead weight that he was unprepared for.

Apparently these things can still touch me when I'm insubstantial, even though their swords can't. Just great.

Elenion heaved the corpse off of himself and surveyed the battlefield. Although the demons were fewer in number than the guards, they were larger, stronger, and faster. Already three of his guards had fallen. Elenion had killed one demon, and it looked like Rodel was about to finish off another, but he doubted whether he could kill another, and Rodel must be in a lot of pain from his wounds. This wasn't going well.

Elenion sprinted across the room back towards the entrance, where the bulk of the combat was happening, while along the way focusing himself. He didn't have time to meditate here, but he needed what focus he could get. Reaching the knot of combatants, he seized the opportunity to slash a few of the demons in the back, not inflicting any major wounds but distracting them and sowing confusion. A panther-like demon detached itself from the melee and leaped at Elenion, hitting him in the chest and digging in its claws. As he fell backwards, however, Elenion used his stored focus to push the demon away, launching it into a wall. He didn't see if it got up, because Elenion hit the ground at the same moment.

This wasn't working.

Elenion ran to one of his guards, a young man with a slash down the length of his fighting arm. The guard looked petrified, and Elenion couldn't blame him; he was a veteran himself, and he still had nearly frozen up with fear. Elenion hauled the petrified guard to attention, looking him in the face and making eye contact.

"Get to the Queen as quick as you can. Without her, we can't survive this fight. Anyone else you can find, too. Go!"

The guard said nothing, but his eyes snapped into focus, and he sprinted out of the room, somehow getting through the wall of demons, guards, and weapons that stood between him and the exit.

Elenion turned back to the combat. He didn't need to win. He only needed to last as long as he could.

Edited by Elenion

With a crash, Elsa heard the guard run into the room. He bowed to the queen, breathing heavily.

"Rise, Sir! What is the matter? Are you alright?"

"Your Majesty...The court....it's being attacked by hideous creatures and demons! You must help Elenion! He's struggling with them!" 

Elsa gasped and her eyes widened. "Garda!" she yelled, as the maid immediately arrived at the door. "Dress me in my armour and fetch my shard blade! Then send for the Arendelle General. And quickly!"

Exactly four minutes later, Elsa was ready. She was about to turn around and run off but the doctor grabbed her arm.

"Be careful out there, Your Majesty. I will be waiting to treat you back here and anyone else that is injured. Best of luck to you."

Guards were already pouring into the attacked part of the court as Queen Elsa arrived.

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart

Elenion was tiring. He hadn't had time to brace himself for the impact into the ground, and as the adrenaline wore off he found an ache in his back. It wasn't incredibly painful, but it did slow him down, making him an easier target. Added to that, the demons appeared to have caught on to his strategy: they either targeted their slashes at his sword, attempting to disarm him, or abandoned their weapons altogether in favor of teeth and claws that, like the fallen demon, could somehow touch him even when he willed himself insubstantial.

Elenion's fellow guards were no better off. Of those that had entered the melee, three were severely wounded, one was dead, and only about half of them did not have at least minor injuries. They were giving ground slowly, working their way backwards towards the entrance as superior strength pressed against them relentlessly and formed them into a defensive line that continued to slowly give ground. At least three of the demons had wings, and they used them to shoot across the room to press the defense where it was weakest. 

"How much longer do we need to hold them?" Rodel said, slashing his claws across the shield of a bulky, elephantine demon. They cut through it like it was tinfoil.

"I don't know. It all depends on--hyah!" The massive sword of the demon that Elenion had killed shot into the enemy ranks, accompanied by a gust of wind. It failed to hit anything solid.

A guard fell, hands clasping his abdomen. The bulky demon that had slugged him there hefted its sword, but a crossbow bolt to the shoulder caused it to drop the heavy weapon.

A crossbow bolt? You can't use a crossbow at that close of range!

And there, in the entrance, was a fresh group of guards, about ten in number. Each had unslung a crossbow from their back, and they provided a covering fire as more guards poured into the room.

It was then that Queen Elsa herself entered the room, clad in armor the color of pure ice and carrying a sword longer than a man was tall. She showed no signs of the injuries that had been paining her just that morning, as she charged, a one-woman blizzard freezing her opponents with fear. Demons ran, flew, or slithered away as she passed through her own ranks and entered those of her enemies. Her sword cut through metal, claw, bone, without hesitation, like a force of nature that had been bridled into an instrument of measured death. She was not hasty or reckless in her strokes, but measured, confident. This was her kingdom, and no twisted animal-demon was going to invade it or abduct her subjects without facing her icy wrath.

Unfortunately, not all of the guards were as disciplined as the Queen. A few lowered their weapons to watch the Queen's wrath unfold, giving a demon a window to act. It was the panther-demon that Elenion had tossed into the wall earlier, and it went for Elenion in the blink of an eye, grabbing him so quickly that his sword clattered out of his hand. The demon put a black, razor-sharp claw to Elenion's neck.

"Stop!" It said in a voice that was disturbingly human, "Or this one dies!"

Rodel grinned. The power he had been granted was very useful. He closed his eyes, sheathing his claws.

He changed. Rodel could feel the healing factor leaving him. Then he felt a new, raw source of power. The Speed Force. Tapping into it, he charged. To him, time stopped. The demon holding Elenion never saw him coming. In less than half a second, the demon was dead. Then he changed again. Using his anger, he changed into a green giant. He roared at the remaining demons. The Queen and Elenion stared in awe.

@Queen Elsa Steelheart @Elenion

"I take orders from nobody!" Elsa said as she gritted her teeth, approaching the demon that held Elenion.

"I order for you to release him in the name of Queen Elsa Steelheart!" Elsa held her sword towards her, defensively in case the demon was to do anything unexpected, 

@Captains Domon @Elenion

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captains Domon said:

Bayle sighed. He had poked Darkness with the prod at least 53 times, and he still didn't wake. That man had some serious endurance.

@Darkness Ascendant

Elsa approached the demon, walking closer to it slowly, holding her sword in front of her.

I'm going to combine the timelines from @Queen Elsa Steelheart and @Captains Domon. More RP to come when I've got time.

The Queen slowly stepped forward, taking measured strides as she approached the demon. As she approached, its grip tightened on the knife still held to Elenion's throat. The metal felt icy, as if whatever was holding it was actually sucking heat from the air instead of producing it as a living being would. Suddenly, the knife fell from the demon's hand, clattering to the ground. Its former holder's body landed right next to it a second later, and the head a second after that. Elenion blinked in surprise.

How could Rodel have moved that fast?

Like a heat-seeking bullet, Rodel blurred away, and suddenly yelled in rage as he began to expand. Bigger. Bigger. Elenion didn't understand it, this form of magic that allowed Rodel to slash with his hands, blur like an arrow, and bulk up like a tank, but whatever it was, Elenion wasn't going to complain. Even free from the demon's icy grip, the fatigue of battle hung heavy on him, and his sword felt like it was made out of lead. He let the tip of it fall to the ground, and rested his weight on the crossguard.

He heard his own voice inside his head, words of advice that he had given to many a green recruit, "You might think that a true soldier never rests, but that's just for the legends. A true soldier knows that he's worth more for his squad resting for a few minutes than dead forever, and if you don't rest, that's exactly what you're going to be. Dead."

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 1:12 AM, winter devotion said:

"demons? i'd hate to miss such a party," said a figure under a cloak. they didn't seem to have been there before. 

(For the record I'm restarting the RP character known as winter.)

((Welcome back!! :wub::wub:))

Elsa turned around confused, but she soon clearly recognised that voice.

"Winter!!! Excellent timing! Welcome back!"

8 hours ago, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

((Welcome back!! :wub::wub:))

Elsa turned around confused, but she soon clearly recognised that voice.

"Winter!!! Excellent timing! Welcome back!"

"Winter! Excellent timing, welcome back!" the stranger snorted. their existence in a location could never be considered, 'excellent timing.' at least, unless she was tapping those piercings of metal. her reserves of luck were empty as of late. her existence here was a result of filling them.

"look up," said the stranger as the fire demon was trying to break free of its restraints. water splashed across the ground and the stranger smiled. they weren't planning on interfering too much, after all, but there weren't many rules on watching. "and you're probably confused on who i am. it's raven, not winter."

(Raven is a twin born, chromium ferring and bronze misting, btw)

2 hours ago, winter devotion said:

"Winter! Excellent timing, welcome back!" the stranger snorted. their existence in a location could never be considered, 'excellent timing.' at least, unless she was tapping those piercings of metal. her reserves of luck were empty as of late. her existence here was a result of filling them.

"look up," said the stranger as the fire demon was trying to break free of its restraints. water splashed across the ground and the stranger smiled. they weren't planning on interfering too much, after all, but there weren't many rules on watching. "and you're probably confused on who i am. it's raven, not winter."

(Raven is a twin born, chromium ferring and bronze misting, btw)

((Sorry, Elsa said that line))

(Huh? I did reply. I like included other character's lines in the beginning just to groundthe scene. Then i replied? You did read the whole thing, right?)

23 minutes ago, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

((Ohh right XD))

Elsa waved at Winter, not getting a reponse

"i think you've got me all mixed up with another friend of yours," they said. "my name ain't and never was winter. got a friend who went by that, though." they took down their hood and autumn hair spilt out. it was cut real short and they had two nose rings. their eyes narrowed at the beast.

"you do know you've got a demon once your hands right?"