Warbreaker movie casting (dream list) *spoilers*

BreathTaker

Interesting how differently we imagine characters.

I had imagined Tonk Fah as looking like a 40-45 year old version of Jackie Chan, and had imagined Jewel as a very short, very heavily built 30-something woman.

If any of Brandon Sanderson's books are ever filmed, I predict vast swaths of the forum devoted entirely to criticizing the director's vision of the setting, characters, and treatment of the plot. :P

If any of Brandon Sanderson's books are ever filmed, I predict vast swaths of the forum devoted entirely to criticizing the director's vision of the setting, characters, and treatment of the plot. :P

Those of us who really don't care don't have to worry about it, though.  They'll probably spend most of their time fighting with each other about which way the director got it wrong.

Don't get me wrong; movie adaptions often do get things wrong, but I've often noticed that when hard-core fans complain, the lists of what went wrong often disagree wildly.  When they agree, you might be on to something.  Otherwise, yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

I maintain my position that, if Warbreaker ever is filmed, someone who always plays the hero in movies needs to be cast as Denth, and someone who always plays the villain needs to be cast as Vasher. It's why I said I'd prefer to see Nathan Fillion as the former, and Adam Baldwin as the latter; it plays against types, and would make the reveal that Denth is a villain at least a bit more surprising.

...That being said though, there's also Ravenchilde's comments. In general, I think Brandon's books are fairly race-blind; there isn't really any description that suggests... well, anything as far as race is concerned. The jungle/tropical setting of Warbreaker is pretty distinct from the rolling english countrysides of the Hobbit, and casting should reflect that fact.

(Of course, no matter who they choose, they won't match the pictures I have in my head already- Lord of the Rings did because I saw it before reading the books, and the early Harry Potter films looked just like the eleven year old me thought they would, but in general? The best they can do is "kind of" like it.)

• 2 weeks later...

So I am a bit in the middle. On one hand I agree with killersquirrel for the simple reason that on Roshar, the culture that reads very asian to me, the Shin, actually looks and in practice is more European, while the culture that reads more European to me, actually has the epicanthic folds and clothing associated with Asian culture, so I do not think it a stretch that Brandon could have a jungle culture be white, and a nordic culture dark skinned. Now having stated that I whole heartily agree that cinema is dominated by caucasian and feel the warbreaker movie would benefit separating itself from that common vein (like the last airbender SHOULD have done  <_< ). So I would love to see a multi racial or dominantly dark skinned cast to cast off typical tropes (how many actors/actresses listed are type casted?) and really start Brandon's movie debut fresh.  

• 2 weeks later...

I love Richard Armitege as Vasher and Natalie Dormer as Blushweaver :lol: When it comes both to appearances and how I've seen them acting (though I must admit I've only seen them as Thorin and Margaery :ph34r: ). I also like Morena Baccarin for Vivenna - she looks actually almost as I've imagined her :lol: But I haven't seen this actress anywhere so I don't know if she could portray Vivenna well enough... And I can't see Maisie Williams as Siri - yes, Siri is 17 but while I'm very flexible on how I think she should look (I don't have a stable opinion on her), Maisie definitely isn't fit for this role in my opinion. As for all of the other actors - I barely know any of them :blink: I guess I've been watching different movies/TV series...

On one hand I agree with killersquirrel for the simple reason that on Roshar, the culture that reads very asian to me, the Shin, actually looks and in practice is more European, while the culture that reads more European to me, actually has the epicanthic folds and clothing associated with Asian culture, so I do not think it a stretch that Brandon could have a jungle culture be white, and a nordic culture dark skinned.

Emphasis mine, it sounds like you are confusing cultural attributes with physical attributes.

There is a very plausible reason for the epicanthic fold being so predominant on Roshar: it's theorized that epicanthic folds were evolved to protect eyes from harsh, windy conditions.  Pretty handy for the most of Roshar don't you think? But also not really necessary for those living on the far end of the continent behind the mountains.  Likewise you wouldn't want to be very dark skinned in a Nordic environment*  (mountainous, high latitude) either, going to have problems with vitamin D deficiency for most of the year (need more UVs!).  Light skinned in a hot very sunny environment? Problems with too many UVs.  But that's physical changes, not cultural ones.

I think Brandon cares quite a bit about the science in his worlds, so having people evolve physically to handle the environments he created makes a lot of sense.  Some authors may shortcut things like that, but I don't think Brandon would.  I don't see him having light skinned people evolve in a jungle/rain forest.  I also don't think that Hallandren & Idris are far enough apart that you'd get two very different looking types of people, though they could have small differences.  

As for how they actually look? There are a number of rain forests throughout the world and the people living in them all look a little different. Some even have mountain/highland regions nearby so take your pick.  Or just don't worry about it & enjoy the book how you want to enjoy it  :D

* Edited to add: The Inuit are a good counter example as they are dark skinned living in a climate that does not get a lot of sun.  However they migrated there relatively recently and have compensated for the vitamin D/UV issues with a very heavy vitamin D diet.

Edited by Xavien

• 4 weeks later...

Being American myself, I also find it extremely funny that any actor with an accent not of an American flavor (specifically British) does wonders in helping most of us transport to a new world.  I have no problem making fun of myself and also my fellow American's in this sense.  I wonder if the same could be said if you flipped that around?  Would someone with a very different native accent find one or more of the American accents helpful for the same purposes in a fantasy/sci-fi film?

Everyone knows that we Americans are the only English-speakers not to have funny accents. It would just sound normal to them.   ^_^

------------------------------------

And for the record, the Hallandren/Idrian peoples are descended from seafarers who migrated there from across the Inner Sea about 300 years earlier (Having said that, I feel a certain affinity for them now). Their Earth-equivalent race is anybody's guess, but since the Pan Khal are described as having darker skin than the Hallandren, I'd have to guess that the Hallandren people actually are whatever you said: "white people from superlordofthewhoflylocketc!!".

------------------------------------

I was never really able to picture Vasher until the scene where he was killing those Lifeless with Nightblood. It reminded me of Aragorn fighting with his sword, Narsil. Vasher is now Viggo Mortenson in my head.

Edited by mckeedee123

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I pictured Clod more along the lines of Danny Trejo.  

To be honest I didn't (and don't) picture any of them as stereotypical scientists - skinny, glasses, white lab coats - but much more renaissance folk - jack of all trades and master of some.  And a master swordsman in a physically demanding world is much more likely to be fit/athletic and probably a bit larger than average.

• 2 years later...
26 minutes ago, Secrets said:

Can I use this? I really need to use it for some threads that have been necro'ed to dust (or in other words huge necroeing happening several times throughout the thread)

It belongs to Elenion

^This is a bad confusing link. Do not press.

Edited by theuntaintedchild

1 minute ago, Secrets said:

I know that's why I quoted his post and asked. The reason I asked is another matter, but  only the simple reason that it's hilarious. And, why did you link the first page of this thread to the Elenion text?

Sorry I saw my name (which was on his post) and thought you were asking me. As for the link it's a simple matter of me having no clue what I'm doing. XD. I was trying to pull off one of those sweet links to a specific poster. So I just highlighted Elenion's  name and copied it into the text box. I have learned it doesn't work that way.

5 hours ago, Secrets said:

Can I use this? I really need to use it for some threads that have been necro'ed to dust (or in other words huge necroeing happening several times throughout the thread)

I actually took this off of someone else on the forums, but I don't even remember who. Go ahead and use it well.

Christian Bale as Vasher

Jennifer Lawrence as Vivenna(maybe)

Abigail Breslin as Siri

Chris Pine as Lightsong(or Ryan Reynolds)

Liv Tyler as Blushweaver

Liam Hemsworth as Susebron

David Wenham as Denth

Toby Jones as Bluefingers

Matt Damon as Treleedees(Ha ha no, probably Ewan McGregor)

Judi Dench as Allmother

Seth Green as the voice of Nightblood(not kidding)

and of course, DAVID TENNANT AS HOID!!