Odium’s Plan to Free Himself and How He Will Be Defeated

Confused

Incredibly thorough, even if there's a lot of speculation (though it is admittedly well grounded). I applaud you, sir. Even if many of this is wrong, the amount of thought and effort you've put in is extraordinary. 

Thank you all for the kind comments! Responses:

PercyJackson: Regardless of whether I'm right or not about Zahel's role in the storyline, he will need something to stay alive. I believe that the shortage of Stormlight in Urithiru at the end of WoR is foreshadowing. Of the many predictions I make, I'm reasonably confident that the Everstorm will interfere with Roshar's (or at least Urithiru's) Stormlight reserves.

potato: I don't think HIghstorms are tidal. Peter was pretty explicit in that "Moons of Roshar" thread I linked to that Roshar's moons lack much mass and, though close to Roshar, have little gravitational pull. I'm just positing that the Highstorms' Stormlight comes from one of the moons.

WOW, this theory is fantastic, have an upvote!

I think that you are probably very close to right, even with the knight radiant predictions, I mean Axies will probably bond that Massive spren that he sees, and since we think it is God spren that make a Bondsmith, then this is probably likely, I think it would be great for Vasher to become a surgebinder, I mean anything to make him even more of a grumpy immortal Badass is alright with me.

the only thing that seems off with this is the fact that you posted it, if Brandon turns up and reads it and goes "damnation he got me guess I have to change everything now" all with a funny grin then posting this changes everything. 

But i really do like this theory, it seems like you have gone around to just about every other thread and plopped all of the legitimate ideas in one massive theory, good on you this looks like it would have taken forever to type.

Edit: Now that I think of it i think it wise to avoid your theories, because they might just be full of spoilers, nah jokes.

Edited by signspace13

Wow, great theory! I also saw the shortage of Stormlight in Urithiru as foreshadowing, though I thought it was built so high up on purpose- to be out of reach for the Everstorm? Which will also make it out of range for Highstorms.. Though the fact that the Everstorm is 'something new' might contradict it..(then again, it being 'old in design' could grant some credibility;) haha)

Can I just say, though, that I totally called the fact that Kal will be out in a Highstorm again at some point in WoR and the Storm will be a never-ending, direct Stormlight source? (I mean, we knew that the Hightstorms were renewing Light, but there were theories that it was only a part of the storm, only a 'wave' that comes after the storm-front, while I believed you could simply stand in the Storm, maybe without even a need for Spheres, and take in as much Light as you wanted, for as long as the Storm remains).

So yeah. Called it. LOL

Another sort-of support for the popular theory of Kaladin being Honor's champion- the phase 'Honor is dead' is a recurring one, in one form or another, in both WoK and WoR, with Honor being at times a concept or the God (always liked the duality of it). Kaladin's saying to Dalinar "Honor is dead, but I will see what I can do" during Adolin's duel was also a strong foreshadowing as to both his future rule as Honor's champion who will defeat Odium, and to his 'end'- maybe taking Honor's/a Herald's place to forever watch over Roshar.

I'm a reluctant believer of the Fleet-like end theory- that Kaladin will internalize fully and completely the First Ideal at some point toward the end, and will sacrifice his life/body in the Physical Realm, then manage to 'come back'/strike Odium from the Cognitive Realm(?) while now being restricted to the Cognitive/taking up the reformed Honor Shard/becoming a Herald-like exsistence.

I think it is very unlikely we will get to see another Bondsmith, let alone two as their order was comprised of three members at most. Dalinar is most likely the only Bondsmith we will see unless he dies at some point. And I certainly do not see Zahel as one.... In fact, it would quite bad to have Zahel as a KR since he already have all this Breath.

I am also quite convinced Ym is dead. One of the purpose of his interlude probably was to show us KR can die. So far, we have seen them survive quite impossible odds, but yes they can be killed.

Edit: The only argument I have against Rysn becoming a KR is the fact she does not exhibit the internal conflict we have seen in the others. Kal struggles with leadership, Shallan struggles with honesty, Dalinar struggles with guiding and Renarin certainly struggles with giving. Rysn does not struggle with obedience. Now my personal prospect for Dustbringer does struggle a lot with obedience, therefore a better match as far as I am concerned.

Edited by maxal

Also, I would be as bold as to say the second attribute is not what we should looking for when trying to determine who the next KR will be.

All the KR we have seen so far, do not exhibit their second attribute. For all of them, it is something they have to work on, unlike the first attribute which is mainly part of their personality.

Kaladin: Lives by his primary attribute by having this constant desire to protect people no matter what. However, he does not want to be a leader, he runs away from it (slightly). Bottom line is, he has to work on that, he has to learn that protecting people is not enough, he has to lead them as well. What good is a protector if he cannot lead?

Dalinar: In pious beyond any measures, he lives a spartiate life. However, he has trouble enforcing his visions into people, he has much issues guiding them towards his goal. During both books he struggles with just that and I believe his struggle is not over just yet. What good is a pious person if he cannot guide the others?

Shallan: Is creative. She always were even as a child. It is built within her. Honesty however is not her greatest strength and throughout WoR she struggles with her truths. She has much to learn to become a honest person. What good is a creative person able to built the perfect lies if she is not honest?

Renarin: Gets wisdom through his visions of the future making him "learned". However, he has to share them, he has to tell people about them, he has to be giving with his knowledge, which he wasn't. Ever. He needs to work on that. What good is someone who learns things by seeing the future if he is not giving?

The same could be said about the other orders. What good is a fool hardy reckless Dustbringer if he can't follow order? I would therefore look for someone who is brave, but has to work on obedience. Same with all the remaining. Willshapers... Eshonai is resolute, but she has to learn how to built.

Bottom line is I do not think the second attribute is what makes someone a proto-radiant. It is what they all have to work on. The first attribute determines who gets a chance to be chosen.

Maxal, why do you think Dalinar will be the only Bondsmith? Do you have any textual evidence to support this belief?

As stated in my OP, the only two potential KRs I am reasonably confident about are Eshonai and Szeth. The other choices are more speculative. I do believe that Axies and Rysn have important roles to fill whether or not they become KR.

I am gratified, though, that you paraphrased my own post back at me to justify your view: "The Meaning of Primary and Secondary Attributes?"

Maxal, why do you think Dalinar will be the only Bondsmith? Do you have any textual evidence to support this belief?

Well, in the textual description of the Bondsmith, it is mentioned their order never had many members, three at most. Therefore, I think it is unlikely we will get two extra members for an order said to never have more than three members at the top of its glory... I am afraid this is my only argument.

Sorry if I repeated your other post. Seems like we agree then.

No apologies necessary, Maxal. I was genuinely flattered!

And I do agree that in Rysn's case, she is already "obedient" in a conventional sense. But my point in that post (as to Dustbringers) was that the Nahel bond tempers what may be a foolhardy bravery. In jumping from such a height, Rysn acted in a foolhardy way. "Obedience" is not blind adherence to instruction (otherwise, you have a Szeth). Rather, in the context of a Dustbringer, obedience is the recognition that sometimes one should exercise restraint to avoid foolish displays of bravery, the kind that shatters your legs. Her babsk would not have required that of her.

And none of this is to say that Rysn will become a Dustbringer. It does seem a strange KR order for Rysn, even if she ends up riding into battle mounted on a Ryshadium!

Regarding Bondsmiths, I agree with you that if the "one KR per order" theory obtains, three Bondsmiths seems too many. But I don't adhere to that theory. I think we'll see many more KR, even if they're not the leading characters of the book. But it's all speculation at this point...

Edit: The only argument I have against Rysn becoming a KR is the fact she does not exhibit the internal conflict we have seen in the others. Kal struggles with leadership, Shallan struggles with honesty, Dalinar struggles with guiding and Renarin certainly struggles with giving. Rysn does not struggle with obedience. Now my personal prospect for Dustbringer does struggle a lot with obedience, therefore a better match as far as I am concerned.

Internal conflict could start now, I mean she practically lost her legs because she was so obedient, and i think we have seen some in the past, wasn't she annoyed that she had to take care of a patch of Shin grass?

I think we have two equally likely possibilities for this order, we just happen to know a hell of a lot more about one of them.

and I think her becoming a radiant is the only real way for her to continue to have significance because unless stormlight heals those shattered legs of hers then she won't be walking anytime soon.

No apologies necessary, Maxal. I was genuinely flattered!

And I do agree that in Rysn's case, she is already "obedient" in a conventional sense. But my point in that post (as to Dustbringers) was that the Nahel bond tempers what may be a foolhardy bravery. In jumping from such a height, Rysn acted in a foolhardy way. "Obedience" is not blind adherence to instruction (otherwise, you have a Szeth). Rather, in the context of a Dustbringer, obedience is the recognition that sometimes one should exercise restraint to avoid foolish displays of bravery, the kind that shatters your legs. Her babsk would not have required that of her.

And none of this is to say that Rysn will become a Dustbringer. It does seem a strange KR order for Rysn, even if she ends up riding into battle mounted on a Ryshadium!

Regarding Bondsmiths, I agree with you that if the "one KR per order" theory obtains, three Bondsmiths seems too many. But I don't adhere to that theory. I think we'll see many more KR, even if they're not the leading characters of the book. But it's all speculation at this point...

I agree with you. Rysn jump was foolhardy and was triggered by her desire to obey her babsk, but does it necessarily measn she would fit into the Dustbringer order? I agree it is a strange mix as she does not have the other attributes we would expect out of a member of that order which was definitely combat oriented.

Internal conflict could start now, I mean she practically lost her legs because she was so obedient, and i think we have seen some in the past, wasn't she annoyed that she had to take care of a patch of Shin grass?

I think we have two equally likely possibilities for this order, we just happen to know a hell of a lot more about one of them.

and I think her becoming a radiant is the only real way for her to continue to have significance because unless stormlight heals those shattered legs of hers then she won't be walking anytime soon.

However, I do not agree becoming KR is the only way for Rysn story to become relevant. She was granted a larksin (spelling?). These could be the key to something without being related to KR. We don't know just yet. There is something about the monster of the Reshi isles. It could her purpose to the story lies there.

I personally believe we very well may see only one KR per order until book 6. After that, I believe the orders will start to expend. I just tend to think it would be redundant, at this point of the story, to get another Truthwatcher (for example) (I believe Ym is really dead) while we still have no Willshaper, no Dustbringer and no Stoneward (Taln does not count, he is a Herald).  And even after that, I believe it is doubtful we would get more than one Bondsmith at a time. It could be Dalinar will die which would leave room for another Bondsmith, but I do not see us getting 2 or 3 Bondsmith at the same, an order known to never have more than 3 members, while we still have no members out of more numerous orders.

Or I could be totally wrong. All this is just gut feeling, really.

Edited by maxal

@Maxal: Since several of your last posts have mentioned this, even if it's a small thing, the books never say that there are three Bondsmiths at a time maximum.  The epigraph states that three is not an uncommon number for them, that they were always small in number, and that attempting to increase their number to the size of the other orders is (seditious? sorry, don't have the book in front of me anymore, and I forget the exact word used.) 

So, while I agree it is highly unlikely for there to be another Bondsmith in the First 5, in part because of other reasons you've stated, I just couldn't let this little bit go any more (even though it's relatively minor, and doesn't actually change anything.) :D

As for the defeat of Odium, people all over the forums seem to assume that Honor will have a Champion to face Odium's Champion.  I can't understand where they got this idea.  Honor is dead.  He will not be appointing any Champion.  Cultivation, on the other hand, still seems to be alive and kicking.  If a Champion is appointed by Odium (not a sure thing), and if a Champion is appointed to oppose them (also not a sure thing), then we should be looking at those with spren associated with Cultivation instead.  Kaladin, and his rather close ties and references to honor, almost certainly count him out.

Well the idea of a champion comes from Honor's messages to Dalinar but the only thing he talks about is trying to force Odium to appoint a champion. He doesn't even imply that an opposing one needs to be appointed. For all we know, choosing a champion is just something someone on one side of the oathpact can do regardless of whether the other chooses one so there is no reason to assume the good side will even have a champion.

But if we assume both sides will choose one, there is nothing that indicates a champion has to represent a specific shard or be appointed by one. I interpret it as just being a stipulation in the oathpact. If one side chooses to, they can appoint a champion for some kind of advantage. The other side can also appoint one but it doesn't necessarily have to be a shard that appoints them, just likely someone of authority on that side might it be a shard, herald, or the head of the KR. Just because Honor is gone doesn't automatically mean Cultivation is the only one that can choose someone now.

So, I feel like Kaladin has just as much chance of being the champion as Shallan, Dalinar, or even Lift.

Edit: I just reread the passage and the wording of the statement is a little difficult to tell if Honor is saying if he vexes Odium enough he might take the chance and choose a champion or if he was saying that, if Dalinar chooses a champion, Odium might take that challenge and choose one himself. Either way, my argument still stands that there is no reason to think only a Shard can choose the champion.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

I read somewhere on the forum about the champions and someone had an idea that I thought was fantastic, Amaram as Odium's champion. If we see Kaladin as a champion appointed by the KR which seems likely, I mean who says you need to be a shard to have a champion. This would result in the final battle being an epic duel between voidbinding Amaram and surgebinding Kaladin, and I can't think of anything more satisfying than those two duking it out for for the sake of the world.

Edit because: i -> I

Edited by signspace13

Mistborn spoilers!

The assumption of Shard-based Champions is based on the end of HoA, when Elend becomes Vin's Champion and Marsh is Ruin's. 

There is a WoB that the Oathpact is between the Heralds and Honor, not Odium.  However, even though the appointing of Champions or what happens because of it is not regulated by the Oathpact, that doesn't mean that there may not be something else going on there that we are unaware of, though.  That sentence was awkward.  Let me try again.  Even if Champions have nothing to do with the Oathpact, there may be something of a similar nature but on a greater Realmatic scale in play.

Also, I had not, at all, thought of the Stormfather being able to appoint a Champion.  That seems somewhat likely, even though his Champion would likely be vastly underpowered compared to Odium's (the Stormfather being a Splinter or Sliver of Honor, rather than the full thing).  That could make for a very interesting climax, though.

@Maxal: Since several of your last posts have mentioned this, even if it's a small thing, the books never say that there are three Bondsmiths at a time maximum.  The epigraph states that three is not an uncommon number for them, that they were always small in number, and that attempting to increase their number to the size of the other orders is (seditious? sorry, don't have the book in front of me anymore, and I forget the exact word used.) 

Hmmm I do not have my book... I always interpreted the epigraph as if the Bondsmith's order never held more than 3 members... Maybe I misread... I have to go look again.

Hmmm I do not have my book... I always interpreted the epigraph as if the Bondsmith's order never held more than 3 members... Maybe I misread... I have to go look again.

But as for the Bondsmiths, they had members only three, which number was not uncommon for them; nor did they seek to increase this by great bounds, for during the times of Madasa, only one of their order was in continual accompaniment of Urithiru and its thrones. Their spren was understood to be specific, and to persuade them to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as seditious.

—From Words of Radiance , chapter 16, page 14

this is the epigraph, it does state that the number of 3 was not uncommon, but it also says that their spren was very specific, I still think that all Bondsmiths bond 'Godlikespren' such as the Stormfather (i think the Nightwatcher would also fall into this category, but I can't imagine her making a bond, and also the large spren mentioned by confuse that Axies sees) so yes I find it plausible we will have more Bondsmiths to come.

I think that if we stick with the 10 KR per order, and if Dalinar can unite all 10 KR, they can reforge the Oathpact.

I'm not sure why the heralds vanished between desolations, and that might block my above theory, but I find the "Only one per order" very interesting.

The previous oathpact they were given blades in exchange for leading mankind, but the blades are not really necessary now.

Perhaps a new oathpact will be made? I mean, Dalinar is a Bondsmith, who's shardblade WAS named "Oathbringer". It would be a little bit of foreshadowing.

Edited by Stormcrown

I think that if we stick with the 10 KR per order, and if Dalinar can unite all 10 KR, they can reforge the Oathpact.

I'm not sure why the heralds vanished between desolations, and that might block my above theory, but I find the "Only one per order" very interesting.

The previous oathpact they were given blades in exchange for leading mankind, but the blades are not really necessary now.

Perhaps a new oathpact will be made? I mean, Dalinar is a Bondsmith, who's shardblade WAS named "Oathbringer". It would be a little bit of foreshadowing.

I've given a whole lot of thought about how the Oathpact may come back, including 'anointing' new Heralds.  I never seem to be on this site anymore when I have the books with me, but there is an epigraph that talks of 10 standing against the storm (or something to that effect).  It would not greatly surprise me if this was either detailing events in the past, regarding the Heralds, or foretelling new Heralds in the future.

However, I'm not sure if I'm reading what you're saying correctly in your next thought.  The line you seem to be referring to is saying that only one Bondsmith was in continual residence at Urithiru at a time; it's not referring the other orders of KR.

I still think there is far more to the Honorblades than we have seen so far.  Szeth wielded one with skill, yes, but his understanding of everything was limited and not complete.  It could be that in the hands of someone with greater knowledge and experience, they are much, much more than a Shardblade.  It's also possible that the way they interact with, say, a Herald is different than the way they interact with someone else (in the same way that a Shardblade is vastly different than a Sprenblade in the hands of its Radiant).

We have yet to find out if the Heralds had powers other than immortality+honorblades.

I mean, I don't really think it matters if there is only one Bondsmith is in Urithiru. My only point is that the one bondsmith we do know wielded a blade named Oathbringer. It seems a little clever.

• Chaos locked this topic