Type V Speculation

Quantus

Nalthis and Endowment have a very prominent pattern of Five throughout, but only Four types of Awakened entity.  Much like the missing two basement levels of the Pentagon, this stands out to me, and so I thought it would be fun to speculate what the last Type of Awakening might me.

Type I:  Spontaneous Sentient BioChromatic Manifestations in a Deceased Host, also known as the Returned,

Type II:  Mindless Manifestations in a Deceased Host, also known as the Lifeless,

Type III:  Non-sentient Boichromatic Manifestation an Inanimate Host, Common awakening, including advanced mineral awakening

Type IV:  Awakened Sentient Object, Nightblood is the only confirmed example.

Type V (Theoretical): Awakened Sentient BioChromatic Manifestations in a Deceased Host, a Counterfeit/Zombie Returned. 

So that's my guess.  We know that a) the current (warbreaker) state of awakening is still fairly rudimentary, and new innovations are still very much possible. We've seen that there does remain a certain amount of the former person's mind/personality in the Lifeless, and more if they were awakened with their original Breath.  So, just like there once was an Innovation to create Lifeless with a single Breathe, I figure the next step will be when somebody figures out how to use a Breath as a more literal Counterfeit Soul than with typical Lifeless, and be able to Awaken them to something akin to their former Sentience. 

The drama of this is that I assume they will not be able to do it at the moment of death the way Endowment does with the actual Returned, and so the true "Soul" of the person will have already been lost to the Beyond. The Sentient Awakened person would thus be missing a very important Something, and it would be a scenario exploring the distinction between an authentic Soul and a Breath that is "faking" it. Which could make for some interesting Nightblood related philosophy, even if it doesnt go full Pet Cemetery. 

So that's my guess.  Thoughts?  Other ideas?  Any generally cool and innovative ways to use Breath that you dont think really fit into the existing four Types?

I'd see it more as:

Type I: Dead body awakened to sentience.

Type II: Dead body awakened without sentience

Type III: Object awakened without sentience

Type IV: Object awakened to sentience

Type V: Living body awakened without affecting sentience (what Vasher does to make the little girl forget)

Type VI: Living body awakened overcoming sentience (I don't think this would be a thing, but it would basically be mind control.)

On 10/16/2018 at 1:29 PM, HSuperLee said:

I'd see it more as:

Type V: Living body awakened without affecting sentience (what Vasher does to make the little girl forget)

Type VI: Living body awakened overcoming sentience (I don't think this would be a thing, but it would basically be mind control.)

I like those.  The two big things I figured was a separate Type for doing the Returned thing with normal Breaths rather than Endowments Slivers, and then also to be able to directly Heal with breaths the way that Returned can.  Basically I figure the 5th will be a catch-all category for using Awakening for all the same things that Endowment does with Divine Breaths (that are qualitatively different in several ways), and will generally relate to using Breaths as supplemental Investiture healing and/or resurrection, though I tend to think it will prove a touch dark and...icky in the way you'd expect from your more tropey necromancy-based healing.

Though for no other reason than Doylistic number themes, I think we will be limited to Five distinct Types for Endowment's Magic, with innovations (like non-sentient awakening with Minerals) falling into one of those five categories. 

11 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I like those.  The two big things I figured was a separate Type for doing the Returned thing with normal Breaths rather than Endowments Slivers, and then also to be able to directly Heal with breaths the way that Returned can.  Basically I figure the 5th will be a catch-all category for using Awakening for all the same things that Endowment does with Divine Breaths (that are qualitatively different in several ways), and will generally relate to using Breaths as supplemental Investiture healing and/or resurrection, though I tend to think it will prove a touch dark and...icky in the way you'd expect from your more tropey necromancy-based healing.

Though for no other reason than Doylistic number themes, I think we will be limited to Five distinct Types for Endowment's Magic, with innovations (like non-sentient awakening with Minerals) falling into one of those five categories. 

That would be interesting. If Type V is all about healing, it makes me wonder if the command Vasher used to remove the girl's memory was something like, "Remove her pain" and the breath "healed" her from the psychological truama she endured by repressing the memory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2018 at 8:47 PM, HSuperLee said:

That would be interesting. If Type V is all about healing, it makes me wonder if the command Vasher used to remove the girl's memory was something like, "Remove her pain" and the breath "healed" her from the psychological truama she endured by repressing the memory.

Vasher did nothing, the girl used magic on herself with Vasher's guidance.

She used the command and her breath was involved. Vasher told her only how to do that

• 10 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, HSuperLee said:

I'd see it more as:

IIRC, when Susebron interrupts Bluefinger when he's about to kill Siri, he says "stop" and Bluefinger does. And he explicitly does before he is hit with an awakened object. Sounds like Type VI to me.

On 10/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, Oltux72 said:

Type V:  Non-sentient Biochromatic Manifestation without a host

Type VI: Sentient Biochromatic Manifestation without a host

Sentient entities made of investiture (breath) that follow a specific semantic task or purpose (command)? A purpose like "be honorable"? Or "Find lies"? "Follow the law"? "Make big storms"? ...Where have I seen that before?

41 minutes ago, bxcnch said:

IIRC, when Susebron interrupts Bluefinger when he's about to kill Siri, he says "stop" and Bluefinger does. And he explicitly does before he is hit with an awakened object. Sounds like Type VI to me.

Inconclusive. He most likely was not naked. Hence we cannot be sure what was awakened.