The Grumpy Elantrian

As we know, if a person has the ability to use the same metal both allomantically and feruchemically, then they can compound that metal (i.e. burn feruchemical storages to multiply the ability stored in the metalmind).

So then my question is, would a more powerful allomancer gain more out of compounding than a weaker one? So, would a natural twinborn compound their feruchemical storages by a lesser multiplier than a feruchemist who had burned lerasium for example. 

In short, does allomantic strength affect compounding efficiency?

I welcome your input. 

I imagine it would. It seems the "strength" of an allomancer can really only be attributed to how much investiture that allomancer is being given from Preservation (This is not the same as the skill of an allomancer. If anyone has any suggestions as to other explanations as to what makes one allomancer stronger than another, I'd be curious to hear them).

As a stronger allomancer is receiving more investiture for the same metal burnt, then they would be able to fill a metalmind quicker and would therefore be more efficient at compounding.

The "strength" of an allomancer works in two separate ways. They do squeeze more power out of the metal but they also burn the metals more quickly...

Because of that, the amount of difference in power may not actually be that great. 

Oversleep (paraphrased)

Allomantic strength. There are stronger Allomancers, they can burn metals faster, right?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, they can also squeeze more power out of it. They can use it more efficiently.

Oversleep (paraphrased)

So there is some loss of power along the way? How do savants work into that?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Savants can use it way more efficiently. They are more Connected to the Shard. Closer to Spiritual Realm.

source

An allomantic savant would probably get significantly more. 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The "strength" of an allomancer works in two separate ways. They do squeeze more power out of the metal but they also burn the metals more quickly...

Because of that, the amount of difference in power may not actually be that great. 

An allomantic savant would probably get significantly more. 

Interesting. And in a way, if it only changes the multiplier from 5 to 6 say, then it is still a significant difference. 

• Chaos locked this topic