2 questions concerning Highstorms

Pagliacci

These WoBs support @RSharas answers. 

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

Argent

Since both the mists and Stormlight are very similar in many ways, are there gaseous, liquid, and solid states of Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, but you know that there is a gas and a liquid.

Argent

The gas is just the stuff in the storms, right?

Questioner

Isn’t there the lake?

Brandon Sanderson

The lake is liquid. So you know there’s two of the three already. So just sayin'...

Steel Ministry report (Aug. 20, 2014)

PhantomMonstrosity

Let's say some Mistborn jerk tosses Nightblood into the mists. What happens?

Brandon Sanderson

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them.

Edited by Child of Hodor

For what it's worth he doesnt necessarily feed on all ambient Investiture.  If I recall Correctly, during the Unity fight there was a constant supply of Investiture charging all the gems and Radiant's around, but Nightblood still tried to feed off his wielder. 

11 minutes ago, Quantus said:

For what it's worth he doesnt necessarily feed on all ambient Investiture.  If I recall Correctly, during the Unity fight there was a constant supply of Investiture charging all the gems and Radiant's around, but Nightblood still tried to feed off his wielder. 

He tried to eat Szeth and Lift before Dalinar United the realms. Szeth breathed in stormlight and they were saved by that.

"Like a sudden detonation, a force of light flashed across the field. Gemstones on the ground flared up, capturing Stormlight and the assassin screamed, drawing in Light like glowing mist." OB Ch. 119

Then they got the sheath back and Szeth promised Lift:

“I will not draw the sword", Szeth said, ”unless you are already dead and I decide to accept death myself" "Greaaaaaaaaat," Lift said OB Ch. 120

I don't think it was unsheathed long enough for us to really tell. It was already feeding on Szeth and Lift, it was busy and might not have bothered with the gaseous investiture. If it was dropped on the field unsheathed it might have fed. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

Further WoB. 

Questioner

I know that there's three sorts of forms that magic presents itself in, the liquid and the solid and air. What would Breath be?

Brandon Sanderson

Breath is definitely like mist, it is in the form of the air.

Questioner

And is Stormlight the same?

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight is the same.

source

19 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

If it was dropped on the field unsheathed it might have fed. 

As a sword, Nightblood seems to require a wielder. There is a scene in which Nightblood, unsheathed, is tossed aside and causes minimal destruction and then simply stops. 

Phantine

What does Nightblood do if he gets fully drawn and runs out of breath and people to eat?

Does he start vaporizing the ground and start boring a hole to the center of the planet?

That was the best question everB) This was also the best question ever because of someone saying “mistborn jerk”

PhantomMonstrosity

Brandon Sanderson

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them

Anyways does anyone know why the mists would pull away?

1 minute ago, PelekinikeleT said:

Phantine

What does Nightblood do if he gets fully drawn and runs out of breath and people to eat?

Does he start vaporizing the ground and start boring a hole to the center of the planet?

That was the best question everB) This was also the best question ever because of someone saying “mistborn jerk”

PhantomMonstrosity

Brandon Sanderson

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them

Anyways does anyone know why the mists would pull away?

Because he has some of Ruin's investiture in it, which repelled the mists, which were of Preservation.

• Chaos locked this topic