Could Investiture be "plektonic"?

Ripheus23

In physics, bosons and fermions are particles defined in terms of Bose-Einstein statistics and Fermi-Dirac statistics, respectively. Now, this is a meta-distinction, since particles whose elements are bosons might sum up to fermions, or vice versa, and/or so on. So, let's say bosons and fermions are like "matter" and "energy" in general (physically/metaphysically), although it's not clear off the top of my head which would be more like "matter" and which more like "energy" (it seems as if intuitively material or energetic particles can fall into either statistical category...). Now the Wikipedia article on plektons says:

In particle physics, a plekton is a theoretical kind of particle, which obeys a different style of statistics with respect to the interchange of identical particles. That is, it would be neither a boson nor a fermion, but subject to a braid statistics.

This sounds reminiscent of Investiture, to me.

Hmm. Let me see if I can rephrase that so you can confirm whether we are on the same page or not. 

In the standard model, bosons are "interaction/force carriers" and fermions are... related to matter (e.g. leptons & quarks, which are both fermions, are what matter is composed of). In our universe this may be enough (I am ignoring plektons for now, as they are hypothetical), since everything is either matter or energy/interaction, but in a different universe - say, the Cosmere - where there is a third component to the matter-energy equation, we can imagine a third category of elementary particles, one that deals with the investiture of stuff; and plektons are a convenient label for this third category. 

If I understood all of this correct... then sure? I am comfortable with introducing a new category of particles (beyond bosons and fermions) to explain how investiture interacts on the subatomic level. In fact, I'd love for Brandon to grab a bunch of theoretical physicists and tell them "figure out a way for magic to work in an expanded standard model". I'd say we should call those... khrissons.

1 hour ago, Ripheus23 said:

In physics, bosons and fermions are particles defined in terms of Bose-Einstein statistics and Fermi-Dirac statistics, respectively. Now, this is a meta-distinction, since particles whose elements are bosons might sum up to fermions, or vice versa, and/or so on. So, let's say bosons and fermions are like "matter" and "energy" in general (physically/metaphysically), although it's not clear off the top of my head which would be more like "matter" and which more like "energy" (it seems as if intuitively material or energetic particles can fall into either statistical category...). Now the Wikipedia article on plektons says:

This sounds reminiscent of Investiture, to me.

Mate, I have no idea what any of this says, but have an upvote anyway because it sounds fancy.

8 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Mate, I have no idea what any of this says, but have an upvote anyway because it sounds fancy.

They're saying investiture is kinda like a thing scientists think might exist, and not like the stuff normal people might poke with a stick.

54 minutes ago, Argent said:

In the standard model, bosons are "interaction/force carriers" and fermions are... related to matter (e.g. leptons & quarks, which are both fermions, are what matter is composed of).

Unfortunately, this is not so. Some combinations of primitive bosons count as fermions, and vice versa. The boson/fermion dichotomy is a second-order distinction. That being said, matter and energy are interchangeable to some degree, and what counts as bosonic on one level while fermionic on another, might be thought of as alternating descriptions between, err, Realms... So if we finagle the concepts enough, we might find a place for Investiture as such?

• Chaos locked this topic